Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: .30-30 seating die thread length

Boolit Master

.30-30 seating die thread length

I have a Lee .30-30 die set that has a seating die that has insufficient die body thread length to properly set the lock ring when mounted on my old Dillon 450. Would one of you folks please measure the thread length on your 30-30 seating die and let me know the brand of die and the thread length?
    Thanks,
    Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

My RCBS 30-30 seat die threads end 1.920" from the bottom end of the die.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

My Lee die is exactly an inch and a quarter (1.250") from the TOP of the body to the center of the very last thread groove where it peters out at the top. There is some back-cut above that, maybe two thread's worth. I can't measure from the bottom because I shortened the die to allow the boolit nose to clear when loading in auto-index mode on the old-style three-hole Lee turret.

My Lee dead-length seater measures 1.785" from the bottom of the die to the top of the last thread groove cut, right where it ends.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Well, thanks for the replys. My seater measures only 1.719" long from the bottom of the die to the top of the last thread! Looks like I need another seating die to utilize my 450 Dillon.
    Anybody got a spare out there? I could prolly get by with a length of 1.785 like gear's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try some pipe thread tape wrapped around the upper threads of your die. You should be able to run the die down enough to be able to use it. The pipe tape should hold it in place to where you don't need to use a lock ring

I was wondering if the lock ring was still on teh die. Can you run the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head?

Banned

Either of the above ideas should work just fine for you, I can't imagine that it wouldn't work with the lock ring removed. The Dead Length seater doesn't crimp, that may be why it's longer. It's designed to be set to bottom on the shellplate for depth consistency. If you happen want it anyway I'll trade you ten bucks of something for it, just make sure it will come close to touching the shellplate.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I picked up a round style locking ring at a local gunshow. I will try and get this to work from the bottom. There are plenty of threads sticking down to do this, it's just that the previous hex style hit the "star wheel" before the ram was fully up. If this doesn't work, I'm sure the pipe dope trick rockrat mentioned, will. Thanks again for the help.
    Shuz

Boolit Master
    Pipe dope trick works well!