Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ID This Snake?

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    A friend and I were out in our open Jeep when we spotted a large snake alongside the dirt road. We stopped to look at him and saw he was a big gopher snake, with narrow head and no rattles, though colored and marked very similarly to the local diamondback rattlers. Facing us, he went into a full rattlesnake act, S-curves, lunges towards us, and tail vibrating so fast it actually made a whirring sound like a faint rattle. We got to laughing so hard at the act he was putting on, that he finally gave up trying to scare us, turned and stomped off into the brush radiating disgust. Ever seen a snake stomp? Well, I assure you this one did...
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with the 'live and let live' approach. I usually ask snake killers if they like rats and
    mice? I have picked up and moved coral snakes in FLA years ago. They are VERY slow and
    lethargic, and if you pin the head with a stick and pick them up by the tail, they will just hang
    down. After about 10-20 sec of this they start to try to 'climb' back up on you, but a moderate
    down-up motion increases the loads so they can't do it and are strung out straight again.

I'd carry them away from the chicken house and drop them in the woods 75 yds away. Never
    worried about being bit. The mouth is small, teeth short, and no poison pressure injection
    like a pit viper has. Coral snake has to chew on you for a bit to get any poison in, it has to
    be released a the base of the short, non-folding teeth and follow a groove down the outside
    of the tooth and be worked in. If you pull one off instantly, no poison or nearly none.

Fiddle with rattlers, cotton-mouth or copper head? Not a chance in this life. Lightning fast,
    pressure injected through hollow teeth like a hypo. . . . . not to be messed with.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Actually ALL of you are very, very wrong. It actually is a very rare three toed skink. Normally found high in the Colorado Rockies and only above 10,00 feet.
    Mean little beggers. Have been know to attack the rare High Altitude Buffalo and in some cases, bring them down.
    Only known protection is homemade wine, generously used
    Yup, mean little beggers.
    Where did I leave my glass?

Facta non verba