RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: powder for 45 acp

Boolit Master

That's one of the nice attributes of the 1911 - shoots damn near everything pretty good. VithaVouri powders are excellent also - some think the powder is expensive - not really, as you use a smaller amount, so the overall price per round is close, depending upon your source. N310 & N320 are excellent for target loads and N340 & N350 will get those 230 to 255 grain bad boys moving out at warp speed with moderate pressure.

Boolit Master
    I use Red Dot.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

AA#5 for me.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    I like Vihtavouri N310 with Mihec's 200gr SWC's.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    wst or clays.
    +1.....
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Master

I really like Bullseye, but like Unique, its dirty. I've used Clays and W231. Both are good, but 231 is my go-to powder.

Good luck with your choice. Let us know how you make out.
    Jon

Boolit Grand Master

Gray Wolf,

I like your .45 ACP load!

I have shot many tens of thousands of 4.8 gr of Titegroup under commercial cast H&G 68s
    over the years. I calculate just under 12,000 rounds from a 8 lb keg and I have been through
    more than a few, probably 5 or more. Before that it was a similar amount with W231, and
    before that quite a number of 8 lb Bullseye kegs. With W231, I used 5.8 gr and with Bullseye
    I used (IIRC) 4.7 gr. In over 30 yrs of IPSC, you go thru quite a few rounds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I use either Unique (for the higher fps loads) or Clays in my 45's. I've loaded down to 3.2gr of Clays at around 600fps, very light shooting, cycled fine in my PT-1911 with factory spring, dropped brass at my right foot and was still clean burning.

Less smoke with Clays than with Unique, I use 45/45/10 for lube.

Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    I shoot 4 grains of Red Dot under a 200 grain LEE TLSWC. My kimber loves them.
    Yep. +1 here.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

I bought out an estate sale of Bullseye along with a bunch of bullets. I found that the old Bullseye that originally came in the square tins was temperature sensitive to where it would not cycle my 9mm in cold conditions.

I'm now using Tightgroup and it's pretty decent for burning clean enough. The insides of the casings is still dark and sooty but at least it's thin enough that a little brass colour shows through.

A few folks have said that "just" Clays burns cleaner.

But the powder I wish we COULD buy is the stuff that they use in WinClean ammo. The brass that comes out of the gun when these are ejected looks every bit like newly formed brass out of the bag! ! ! ! The downside is that it spits out a HUGE amount of unburned powder. But it still kicks the bullets out nicely so I wonder at the case volumes. But still, I'd buy the stuff in the blink of an eye if they sold it. The cases are clean enough that there is simply no need to clean them before reloading.

Banned
    Titegroup is my favorite powder. The older powders, (Bullseye, W231 and Unique) are also the dirtiest powders. And they smell bad.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye may be dirtier than some and one might not like the fragrance, but nothing stacks them into the same hole better than Bullseye for every 45 I've ever shot. Some might do as well, but I have never found anything better for bullseye work.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Buddy
    W231 my favorite use it alot
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Master

231 for me too.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for Hodgdon Clays

Boolit Master
    Any of the "Dot" powders work well, as does Bullseye. I haven't used Unique in some time, but that's just because I had several pounds of Bullseye on hand...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

45 powder

They had a nice writeup over on 6mmbr about the use of V320 said it was clean and very accurate guy picked it over 231.IM going to give it a try ,im using good old unuiqe now . tks KEN

Boolit Master
    May not be "clean" enough for you but I always shot 700-X when I shot 200g SWCs. I use W231 for some 230g loads in .45 and it burns clean.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

For a nice plinker, I use either Green Dot or Trailboss. Both are mild(Trailboss the mildest)and are fun to shoot. I use 230gr TC by Lee.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    700X

I really don't know what people are talking about when they say it is dirty, particularly when compared with BE and/or RD or Unique. As a test for my own information many years ago I ran over 1200 rounds through my SIG without cleaning it, using the 700X powder. Not one bobble in the entire time attributable to a dirty gun.

For my part, I wouldn't give a dime for a carload of 231 unless I could sell it for a quarter. I hate the stuff.

I use 700X in 32 S&W wadcutter, 9mm, 38 Spec, and 45 ACP.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!