Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chronographs

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co
    hmmmmmmmm
    someone is still beating the same drum and getting no where.....
    ASSumming that a machine has a 5% error and then ASSumming that the error is consistant is a very big stretch.
    chrony has no built in check, the three screen oehler has a built in check.
    plain and simple.....one has a built in check the other does not.duh ???
    yes its possible but what is the probability that both fail at the same time??
    what good is your 2360fps stop if infact the chrony had a single round that was out of wack...but not reported as an error....opps an instant reloading error, you were actually way over, but one round was low and brought the average down to a "safe" level......so you go load up a bunch more of this great load.....you go shootin on a bit warmer day..and the brass starts sticking.....now just how much brass /powder/bullets/gun did you waste because you bought the least expensive tool ???
    if you and your best guns can only handle a half inch at 50 yards....you probably dont need a chrony....you need lessons, a better gun or a new hobby.

just cause you are happy with your results, doesnt mean the guy asking the questions would be happy with them, so please leave him the opportunity to make his own choices. just cause you are happy with just(maybe) ave velocity, doesnt mean the next guy is.

you actually cover this very well in your last statement

" Will I have anything that is significantly better for my intended purpose?"
    he asked about HIS intended purpose not yours......so now you can slow down anytime.
    I, for one, am very happy with half inch groups at 50 yards. I don't shoot benchrest rifles so we are talking light hunting type weapons. Even with relatively low powered scopes, I can see the crosshair waver back and forth across the target at least half an inch at 50 yards. With light rifles, hunting scopes, sandbag rests, 64 year-old heart, muscles, and eyes, a half inch group is a victory at 50 yards, and other than the velocity (which proves the energy factor is high enough to get the job done), none of the other stats, SD or whatever, have any relevance to me. Obviously they do to you and that is your right. We're playing different games.

Boolit Master
    way to go scrounger......thank you thank you thank you ( the ability to disagree without insisting only his answer is the right answer).
    i'll think of you this am as i go put some more lead down range ( over my oehler, at 100 yds , thru my latest 308 win )
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Also on SD, one area that SD is very important, or MORE important is long range shooting..

The screen spacing is enough of an issue that Oehler does supply a shorter mounting bar for people that insist they need it, but they reccomend NOT using it unless absolutely neccesary.

another thing I didnt know about the Oehler setup until I got it is they send EVERYTHING you would need to use the machine, even a couple nice light tripods to set the screen assembly up on, and enough printer paper that I have had and used the machine for it seems 10 years and have not bought any yet.

As to quality tools, I have never ever regretted it when I scraped and scrounged and came up with the bucks to buy a better grade of tool. I never think when I'm using my Etalon 0-1 micrometer "Gee I could have bought an acu-rite for 15 bucks" I usually think "Man I wish I had gotten the 1-2 when I got this one" I have to settle for Starrett for the larger sizes.

Now guys that smoke $20.00 seegars is differant, I cannot understand that for a minute hehe, I told a kid at work if he was nice and played his cards right with a nice young lady a couple seegars worth of dinner and flowers might get him something that would be a lot better than a stinky seegar.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=mike in co ( the ability to disagree without insisting only his answer is the right answer).
    [/QUOTE]

Perhpas I should just walk away, can't. Prolly gonna get my nose skint, won't be the first time.

If that remark is directed at me, you should perhaps consider that from this end it appears that you think Ohler is the only answer. Now where have I said that Chrony is the only answer, just that for my purposes and obvioulsy for the purposes for many others here, a Chrony works just fine. As well, I have put forth some very workable solutions to what may appear to be shortcomings to some. Apparently, a Chrony is not good enough for you, that doesn't make the choice of an Ohler a better choice. And what about the differences between his and your intended purposes? Perhaps now you can slow down too bubba.

Banned
    How many of you fellows that own Ohlers own Rolex watches, drive either Ferrari's, Lexus's, Lincolns, Rolls Royce's, BMW's, live in at least a $500,000 home (not counting the property), eat caviar, lobster, Alaskan King Crab for most meals, bought your wife (if you're married) at least a 2 carat diamond engagement ring, your suits are imported from Europe, ditto the shoes, you have a gardner and pool man, you don't own a rifle under $2000 and all the oned that are scoped are with German glass?

Now that I think about it I'll fire off a letter to Rick Jamison of Shooting Times (not that he's a top guru of the gun world, but because I think he may do it) to do a comparison shoot off of all the chronographs on the market. Yes I know he uses an Ohler.

Joe

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I'll tell you what I think! I think you guys who don't have a redheaded wife or girlfriend don't know squat! Down with blondes!

Talking

Hold on a minute there Junior. My wife is blond and I think a blond is better then a Red Head any day of the week.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    No Rolex, I drive a 91 S10 (usually full of buckets of WW) and the cost of my house didnt go into 6 figuires even.

Oehler $395.00 (mine was 295 when I bought it I think)
    If anything goes wrong with your Oehler Chronograph, simply send it to Oehler Research and they will repair or replace it, for 3 years, at no charge. If you shoot a screen or smash your chronograph, Oehler cannot be held responsible and you would be expected to pay for repairs.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...084MASTERGAMMA
    162.00 for this crony that offers some similar features (and some added ones like RPM), but you buy your own tripod

cheapest crony looks to be 77.00 no warranty mentioned on the crony's

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Perhpas I should just walk away, can't. Prolly gonna get my nose skint, won't be the first time.

If that remark is directed at me, you should perhaps consider that from this end it appears that you think Ohler is the only answer. Now where have I said that Chrony is the only answer, just that for my purposes and obvioulsy for the purposes for many others here, a Chrony works just fine. As well, I have put forth some very workable solutions to what may appear to be shortcomings to some. Apparently, a Chrony is not good enough for you, that doesn't make the choice of an Ohler a better choice. And what about the differences between his and your intended purposes? Perhaps now you can slow down too bubba.
    dang couldn't slip that one past you.............
    i owned a pact before the oehler. i say owned since it spent more time at pact in texas than with me or at the range.
    i have seen the poor results from chrony's and have seen the stories here of thier poor results.( sorry i didnt see your poll where you found those "many other"....)
    my oehler has never missed a shot, never, not one, never.
    one of the clubs i shoot at has two oehler's for members use( but no chrony's)
    the fact is, of all the shooters i hang around with, those that own chronographs .....own oehler's.

if you think you have not insisted that the chrony is all a shooter ever needed, please have someone read your entries and see what they say (family members do not count). go look at the lenght of some of your posts in
    your attempt to justify your purchase of a chrony.

i'm a competitve shooter. i spend money on my guns, i shoot a lot of lapua brass, berger bullets, br hand made bullets..........yep i run at a much different standard than you do.
    i have experience that shows the chrony and the pact do not live up to competitive standards; i see no data that documents that a oehler does not do the job it was designed to do.

slowwwing dowwwwnnnn
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Joe, Yes I own an Oehler dating from the Reagan administration. The only troubles I ever had with it were (1) Killed both screens with one .358 Win. cast boolit-repairs cost $10 or $20, I forget. (2) Left batteries inside too long and ruined its innards. Somehow, between Energizer and Oehler, I got a new one free.

I do have a watch with a name that ends in the prestigious "X", but it is a Timex. My vehicle is a Dodge pickup. Our house was well under half a million, including property, and that in a hot real estate market. My lovely wife has a somewhat smaller than two carat diamond, but I did pay extra for a flawless stone. I don't own a suit, European or otherwise. I wear Wranglers and boots. I do have one pair of shoes, bought in 1962, that I used to wear when I had a suit. Anybody who thinks I have a gardener is welcome to come and watch me fighting the mustard and white top any summer day. No rfles with $2000 price tags here, some of them down to less than $60. Most rifles are iron sighted, the scopes are one Japanese and three American.

Junior, My wife was born blond, but has darkened up to light brown with the passing of time. I'd keep her if her hair turned green!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Wills---Has there been any known suicides you could post a link to because someones Oehler or Chrony was found to be giving erroneous readings? Sometimes spending more is cheaper in the long run--don't know about this situation. I do wear a Rolex with a slight blemish,some fool wrote Seiko on it.