Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: am i a redneck!!

Boolit Master

They are really serious about deer up in Vermont. One morning a deer leaped over my truck whilst I was going about 35 MPH on a lonely dirt road. He cleared the cab but fell afoul of a homemade wooden canoe rack I had built onto the back of the bed.

I broke one of it's legs and he was a thrashing and trying to get up onto his 3 good legs when a 158 GR LSWC boolit in the ear put him out of his misery.

I called the State Troopers and they came out lickety split with lights and sirens. The trooper examined the damage to my truck (just a couple of split 2 x 4's) at the rear of the truck and explained....."If the deer hit you forwards of the rear door edge of the cab you will owe the state for the deer and it is your fault....however if the deer hit you behind the rear edge of the cab door then the deer is yours."

I did not quibble and he even helped me to load the deer into the truckbed. The following week he got a 20 lb package of venison steaks dropped off at the local Trooper barracks.

After that incident my name was gold amongst the Vermont State Police Troopers. I was an insurance adjuster and this profession caused me to have a lot of contact with the Troopers involving accidents and reports and such.

They are a close knit group and from then onwards until I moved out West in '88 I was treated like royalty every time I went into a barracks seeking cooperation.

My ex came to Vermont and had the Troopers stop me and she took the pickup as she had the title. I removed my plates and all my belongings and the Trooper drove me home to get my Fiance and her car whilst another stood guard on my gear.

Everything I had installed on the truck came off including a decent set of air horns, seat covers, tape deck, speakers etc. I even took the bumper jack that I had bought for it along with the chain and come along and all my tools which I always carried.

My ex got a stripped truck without plates. She could not even drive it as she never learned how to master a clutch along with a lot of other things. She had it towed to wrecking yard and she sold it for scrap to a local scrapper. He knew the truck and he called me immediately. I got the entire truck back for $125 and the good title to boot.

When the divorce was finally settled I got $1500 back in the settlement for the value of the truck.

Justice was served.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I once met a guy from NJ that hit a deer on Meriden Road in Split Rock with his 2-week old Explorer. He was kind of down about crunching up his brand new truck, but it was buck season & he had a tag in the glove box, so he tagged it & took it, figuring that at least he would get something out of the mess. The problem was that the critter woke up & then proceeded to total that truck from the inside.

I also once saw a deer with an arrow in it that was tied to the top of a car driving up I-84 in Connecticut on opening day of bow season. That critter woke up too, when enough wind blew in it's face. That guy lost me in traffic before I could flag him down & tell him what was up. I hope that things worked out better for him than the guy in my first paragraph.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    We came up on a deer that someone had just hit. It was broke down in the back. I grabbed a big end wrench out of my toolbox and one good wack to the head finished it off.
    I used to think that my little brother was a bit on the rough side for engaging in hand to hoof combat with a buck knife. You just put a whole new spin on that perspective for me.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    These stories are hilarious, as anyone who lives even remotely in the country has dealt with this.

I've had several. Once my buddy and I happened on a deer that was freshly hit, and she was flopping and kicking pretty good in the middle of the road, but wasn't going to make it. We had a pen knife, but good clothes on and neither of us fancied her hooves. We brilliantly thought that we could run its head over with my jeep. I think it just made the doe more alive, as we were parked on its head and it was kicking the floor panels. We horridly backed up over her again, but it still didn't kill her. We ended up having to back up far enough to get going around 50 and the tire over the neck did it. I could not tell you how many times we ran over that deer trying to put it out of its misery; we didn't talk the rest of the way home.

My favorite story was when I was young with my dad and we happened on someone not from the country who had just hit a deer and he was besides himself with grief for its misery. Dad told the gentleman that we just lived up the road and he would get his deer rifle and put it out of its misery. Went and got the rifle, dad stretched it out towards the deer head, and looked away at the last second, he says to avoid blood spray, and shot. Blew the deer's ear off but it was still alive. I thought the gentleman was going to pass out. The worst part was dad only grabbed one bullet, so we had to drive home and back again! I definitely don't want any animal to suffer needlessly, but the situation was quite funny to me as a youngin.

In Remembrance
    back before the days of store bought cross bed tool boxes, everyone just built them out of plywood usually.
    My uncle shot a buck, right in the face with a shotgun. This was at the edge of town, and may have not even been deer season, so he hurriedly throws him in the tool box and goes home.
    He pulled his pickup in the garage and closed the doors, but the buck was trying to destroy the toolbox. He called my other uncle to come help, while one opened the box, the other stood in the bed and hit him between the ears with the butt end of an axe. lol

I knew a guy that had just got out of the state pen, and couldn't legally be around a gun, but loved to hunt. He killed a buck, and had to drive threw downtown austin to get home. He didn't want to have it in the bed where people could see it, so he stretched it across the floorboard in the pickup. antlers were under his legs on the drivers side. When that deer woke up and started trying to get out. These guys were by now in traffic on Ben White blvd (used to pretty much be the main drag) The deer cut up the back of his legs pretty good before his cousin dinged it in the head with a trailer ball.

Boolit Master

Neat thread. A funny thing happened on the way to work:

I stopped for a young lady who had impaled a whitetail in her Volvo's windshield. I observed this vehicle strike said four pointer about a ¼ mile ahead on a section of SR94 in western NJ and this driver managed to stop her vehicle on the shoulder without further damage. I pulled up to an apoplectic lass belted in the front seat with her daughter properly car seated amid ships in the rear, screaming with equal gusto. The unfortunate whitetail severed and artery and expired bathing the interior of the Volvo with its blood. I clearly heard the lady screaming,” I am dying,” through the soundproofed vehicle (well, there was the hole in the windshield partially plugged with hoof). I called the local constabulary and attempted to calm our driver and her child. The NJ State police arrived and called the conservation folks to remove the carcass, the tow company for the vehicle, and the ambulance for the occupants.

Damage: one Volvo windshield and a SERIOUS interior cleaning (imagine the face of the detailer on duty THAT day) and the loss of some of God's fine protein.

Thanks to all y'all for the great entertainment.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

In Remembrance
    Talk about needing some detailing (and new underware)
    The first time I saw a picture of this it was in a scalehouse in the yukon. It is amazing the woman survived.

http://foryouandi.com/Entertainment/MooseCrash/

Boolit Master
    here we have to call them in before we can touch them , it seems to take for ever depending on the responding department if you tell them the deer is still alive , it seems some may take their time hoping that it will die before they get there , or perhaps since these tentdto be less rural departments they are just busy with crime , either way i would go with yeah i think it is dead when you call it in

i asked my state rep about looking into a way to stream line the process so that deer could be picked up more easily , this was when i was driving to the city every day , so many deer hit just a few miles outside of Madison , he checked but the dnr wants a report filled out by a LOE they think to many people would poach and call it in as a road kill

some counties have a person who cleans the dead animals from the road others they get left till the fully decompose

my county has a list that once it is could enough and the sheriff gets a deer that they will call around and have some one come out and get it , the number of unreported car deer collisions seems high they list them all in the paper but you see more carcases than reports either they just need to get to work , or there may be a reason they don't want a cop to come out and check it out , like they hit it on the way home from the bar.

In Remembrance
    I have never reported one that I have hit. The one that was close to home and was salvagable, I ate. If it isn't salvageble And lands in the way of traffic, I will drag it out of the road, but that is as much time I will waist on the scene.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Down South, It's is funny that a deer gets devoured where good steaks are free. lol Ya gotta love it.
    You know, you would be surprised how old eating beef steak can become when it is free and you can eat it every day.
    I prize a good beef steak now. But I have to buy it and every time I cruise by the meat counter in the store, my eyes bulge out just looking at the prices of prime beef. I just go home and cook up some deer meat. I usually have enough to carry me from season to season.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Hittin a deer with your vehicle is a bummer, A yuppy hittin the deer with his BMW and you gettin the meat is a win..

Banned

I eat ALOT of venison. Why? because is almost free for me. Have to admit though that id take a ribeye or tenderloin any day of the week over a venison steak!
    You know, you would be surprised how old eating beef steak can become when it is free and you can eat it every day.
    I prize a good beef steak now. But I have to buy it and every time I cruise by the meat counter in the store, my eyes bulge out just looking at the prices of prime beef. I just go home and cook up some deer meat. I usually have enough to carry me from season to season.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    State law. Can't give away state property. Often wondered if the state is responsible for the damage their property causes.

I didn't mind, there was $300 in meat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    He just wanted a six pack or two.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Ate several as a kid

As a kid, we lived on a country road in Indiana with a fair amount of traffic, not too far from town but close enough that townies used the road a lot. The nice gap in the woods and a nearby empty marsh/swamp meant deer loved crossing there. Townies would hit them during the rut and often leave, my mom was at home and would see the following cars slowing down to get around it. She talked a few of them out of the deer on the spot too. Over the years my tiny mother drug many deer down the 40' embankment (back before they put up guardrails!), drug them 150 yards to the house, threw a rope over the branch next to our tire swing and hung and gutted the deer. She'd call my Dad and tell him to come home without dawdling after work.

Dad and I hunted a little, didn't have anyone to show us how to do it well for big game, and we never got anything bigger than cottontails and woodchucks really. Since we raised chickens and rabbits, we didn't have to hunt.

I would bet that the local cops (1 sherrif and 1 deputy) can still recognize my mom's voice, from all the times she called to tell them she'd grabbed a deer. (She called for permission the first time and they told her to go ahead and grab future ones and just let them know.) It sure helped through the winters with 6 kids at home and Dad working a factory job. We ate a lot of venison and noodle casserole.

Dad got a LOT of ribbing at work and at church for his little squaw bringing home several hundred pounds more venison than he did!

Bulldogger

Boolit Master

I always found roadkill deer to be the most expensive meat per pound. Had a new pickup truck a few years ago, less than 1000 miles and hit a deer. did $1800.00 to grill and fender. Cost me $500.00 deductible, and it wasn't even a very big deer. Much prefer to use a cast bullet and my free Landowners tags.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I was at a road house out in the country one Saturday night, and a tourist comes wandering in, saying he hit a black cow up the road a bit, and disabled his car. Someone offered to give him a ride into town to get a tow truck. This was back before cell phones, and I'm not sure if the saloon even had a phone.
    We watched out the window until they had left the parking lot. Then several unnamed individuals piled out of the saloon, and into a pickup. It was easy to locate his vehicle, and the dead angus.
    With a chainsaw, a cow can be quartered, loaded, and gone in a very short time.
    did they return your chainsaw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

In NW MT 3 out of every 4 trucks have a chain saw in the back or behind the seat.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 10-27-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Originally Posted by waksupi
    I was at a road house out in the country one Saturday night, and a tourist comes wandering in, saying he hit a black cow up the road a bit, and disabled his car. Someone offered to give him a ride into town to get a tow truck. This was back before cell phones, and I'm not sure if the saloon even had a phone.
    We watched out the window until they had left the parking lot. Then several unnamed individuals piled out of the saloon, and into a pickup. It was easy to locate his vehicle, and the dead angus.
    With a chainsaw, a cow can be quartered, loaded, and gone in a very short time.
    Well, those good ole boys saved the cow owner from paying for the car damage. Where I live, your cow/horse gets out and gets hit, you pay the damage. But if the cow is gone when cops get there, finding the owner is pretty much impossible.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

In Remembrance
    Well, those good ole boys saved the cow owner from paying for the car damage. Where I live, your cow/horse gets out and gets hit, you pay the damage. But if the cow is gone when cops get there, finding the owner is pretty much impossible.
    That depends if it is open range or not.

Try hitting a swayback old indian pony on the reservation, you will find out you just hit the next crown winner.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That was back in the real heydays of logging in this area. I suspect the percentage of chainsaws in trucks were much higher back then!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!