Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many cast in september

Boolit Master

had a break in the heat so cast 160 .45/70 bullets. Forgot how much time is needed with a one hole mold compared to a 6-cav gang pistol mold.

w
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Last nite - sized the other 400 401-180. This morning, ~500 401-165 TCFB. 3 or 4 had wrinkles, 20 or so bad pour - my fault. HT & sized, ready to lube and load. Should last a month or so. She thinks I should get some exercise, like 2K pulls on the handle isn't enough. Think I'll go fly fishing instead.

Boolit Master

I cast approximately:
    300 for .30 cal rifle
    500 for .45-70
    2,000 for .380 ACP
    1,000 for 9mm
    1,000 for .40/10mm
    1,000 for .38/.357

Boolit Grand Master

Charlie, that is a whoop of casting! You must have more time and more lead than most casters!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Charlie, that is a whoop of casting! You must have more time and more lead than most casters!
    1Shirt!
    Unemployment does have some benefits.

Boolit Buddy
    Some .512 375 grain gas check WW alloy

Boolit Buddy

Just cast 500, 200g SWC for the 45ACP last weekend. Also sized and lubed 1000, 158g SWC for the .357mag.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Buddy
    Just cast 300 from the Lee TL-401-175-SWC mold tonight. Interestingly, I only averaged 1 beer per 100 rounds. I was going to cast some more, but I put a new ingot in the pot, went inside and by the time I got back, the entire pot had leaked out and soldered the casting pot to the cookie tray that I keep under it just in case. The mound of lead nearly came all the way up to the bottom pour spout. It seems that the ingot shifted when it started to melt and caused the bottom pour to open.

Cast another 200 Wednesday (9/19) evening.
    Last edited by WilliamDahl; 09-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master

A big Zero!
    Ask me again at the end of Febuary as thats when i cast all of my bullets for the year , you might be surprised ? last Febuary slightly over 22,000 cast L/S in a month. i usually do over 10,000.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    Cast up +300 Mihec .359-125 for my 9mm's after receiving being motivated by a new stock of Randyrat's beeswax coming in today. That's all I've cast this month. I can't get over how easily that bullet drops from the mold. Not one stuck all day long.

Sept is a good month for casting, I've casts 3 times this mo. already and need to cast some more. I just cast 1 hr. at a time for 4 or 500 bullets depending on the molds I'm using. I cast most of the yr. unless the weather is real baaad.
    H08
    Hank10
    NRA endowment life
    SASS life
    NMLRA

Boolit Grand Master

I must admit that I cast all year. My little utility barn has a window air conditioning unit and electric heat in the wall.

A few days ago I cast 40 lbs of Mihec's #68 200 gr SWC for the .45 ACP. I then sized and boxed them. Earlier in the month I cast about 30# of Lee 90 ge T/L wadcutters for the .32's. Tomorrow, I'll be running a Lee six cavity mould for the .32 caliber 90 gr SWC T/L bullet (mould is on loan from a friend). I have great hopes for this mould/bullets.

I will admit that I haven't been doing nearly the same amount of shooting as normal due to the horrible heat and humidity this summer. When it is near or over 100 degrees with the humidity we typically get, I stay HOME! Today, on the other hand, it was in the sixties at the range with a high expected of about 72 degrees. Simply delightful and I took advantage of it to test some loads. I still have a smile on my face...

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Bub

New Mold for 9mm

I cast about 600 9mm with the Lyman 2670637. It was a bran new mold so the first 200 were returned to the pot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank10 View Post
    Sept is a good month for casting, I've casts 3 times this mo. already and need to cast some more. I just cast 1 hr. at a time for 4 or 500 bullets depending on the molds I'm using. I cast most of the yr. unless the weather is real baaad.
    You seem to be a bit more productive per hour than I am... Are you running two molds at the same time ..... or maybe just drinking less beer?

I find my productivity goes up if I run my lead a bit hot and then run two molds... Preferably two molds that are different enough that the bullets are easy to separate later on when I'm drying them (I water drop all my bullets for a bit more hardness, but mainly for speed in casting. Maybe I would have more throughput if I preheated my ingots in a small cast iron skillet prior to adding them to the casting pot, but that would probably end up reducing my beer intake since I normally use the time that it takes to get the lead up to temperature as the time to go get another beer...
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    No casting in Sept., had a bit of a relapse and my physical therapist is back helping me with my legs. Had a stroke last year.

I had been able to put several thousand 9s, 40s and 45s on the reloading bench prior to that. I hope to get back to casting in a couple weeks.

I may have to trade in my eight cavity H&G moulds for some four cavity moulds. The eights are a bit heavy for a weakened left side.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Casterofboolits glad yer on the way of mending. My Dad and Mom both had strokes. Pops was devastated never came back Mom shook it off and non worse for wear.

About 800 boolits from my slim38 mold and 100 12 ga lyman slugs
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I shut down the furnace in July, it's too freakin' hot here for casting and sometimes too hot for range time unless I hit the line at zero dark thirty in the morning. Things seem to be cooling off lately, so I might get a session in before Oct. 1. I have 2 new moulds to test-drive.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Christorbust View Post
    Cast up +300 Mihec .359-125 for my 9mm's after receiving being motivated by a new stock of Randyrat's beeswax coming in today. That's all I've cast this month. I can't get over how easily that bullet drops from the mold. Not one stuck all day long.

I'd flip the handles the other way to keep from chewing up the wood maul or stick.
    Those are some good looking bullets.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-21-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
    Some .512 375 grain gas check WW alloy
    500 S&W's?