Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 6.8 spc / ar

Boolit Buddy

6.8 spc / ar

I have just started casting and am really impressed with what I have come up with. At the range my handguns have been born again, Wow ! I really jumped into this with y'alls help, an I thank you. Now I'm thinking about casting for my 6.8spc. What should I be looking for as in mold designs? And who should I turn to for them? None of my reloading books show anything for this in an cast boolit. Is this not a good round for casting? I shouldn't have said that, but I am a neebe at this an don't know. Any help, comments or even a kick in the, well you know, are welcome.
    Thanks
    Ghost101

High pressure round. Fast too. Gas-checked for sure, I would think, if cast was used.

We have one in the family, and buyer's remorse set in right away. Mostly because of the cost of ammo.

I am not going to try to load cast for it, I would rather see it sold off. It was one of those impulse buys, and the kid in the family who bought it had never even seen the caliber before. He was a sucker for the sales pitch at a high end gun shop.

I am not a fan of it, yet. I have not seen the advantages over other calibers we shoot.

So far only disadvantages, like ammo availability at the local hardware store in the northwoods.......a good reason to reload it.

Ill be watching to see if someone casts for it too, with good results.....while not holding my breath.

Boolit Master
    There was a recent group buy of a Mihec produced mould for the 6.8 SPC. You might see if Miha produced any excess to need moulds for sale. If not, you could see about starting a small group buy thread in the Group Buy Discussion area.

I don't know why someone on Cast Boolits would be complaining about the cost of factory ammunition, aren't we all reloaders? I'm happy with my RRA 6.8, I have an 11 year old Grandson who plans on using it for hog hunting (though not with cast boolits).

Ed

Boolit Master
    I have a RRA lower with a DPMS upper. I can get 3in groups will cast through it. Best powder I have tried so far is H322. I have a custom MoutainMold that I am playing with now. The nose is a little big . I am sizeing the nose, then sizing the base to get good feeding. The workmanship is topnotch. It is on me for the design. Drop me a pm and I can send you a selection of boolits.

I did take a decent whitetail buck with mine last year using j-bullets

Here are a couple of threads that may be a little help
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=90329
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=113004
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=131464
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=39802
    Last edited by 7br; 08-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

I have a 6.8 and an old Ideal 134gr RN mold that seems to work well in it. I have been using H4895 at around 19gr, nice light load that cycles the action. I have not done any accuracy testing and have not chronographed the loads yet.

Boolit Mold
    I'm running the Mihec mold for the 6.8 ....I have some loads ready to shoot, just no time to hit the range.....

I think MP Molds has some 6.8 molds left...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=160053

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost101 View Post
    Now I'm thinking about casting for my 6.8spc. What should I be looking for as in mold designs? And who should I turn to for them? None of my reloading books show anything for this in an cast boolit. Is this not a good round for casting?
    I'm a noob to casting ... my view based my limited research .... you will not find very much data for the 6.8 yet...most of what you will find is here or 68forums.
    If anyone has other sources of data I'd like to know about it.

My approach has been to read, read, read...think about what other people are doing with somewhat similar sized cases, the use of faster powders for reduced loads....targeting cast bullets speeds.
    Throw in some gas checks, lead hardness, lube type = fun, fun, fun......

I was in on the Mihec group buy for the 125g mold.
    I was also in the Lee 110g mold group buy over at 6.8 forum http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

I have a RRA 6.8 and it seems to like 23g of Reloader 10x for the 110 grainers.
    The 125 grainers seem to like it too, but I haven't experimented with ithe 125s much as of yet.

Gentelmen;

As I understand it the 6.8 Special is the new military 6.8x43.

This is nothing more than a 30 Remington necked down to .270.

So I looked in the old Lyman book, finding there things like;

280411, 280412, 280468 and 280473.

The 411 is a 138 gr spitzer type- probably not much use to us.

The 412 is a 136 gr nose-rider which should work well if one can be found.

The 468 is a 115 gr two-diameter Lovern type

The 473 is kind of a 125 gr short nose-rider with a big scraper groove.

If the rifle were mine I'd search high and low for a 280468 as i have had excellent results with a Lovern bullet in my SKS.

Good morning,
    Forrest

T

Boolit Master

I have an ideal 280412, it does work well.