Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: .308 3 hole primer pockets

.308 3 hole primer pockets

Today i was prepping some spent cases for reloading. a half a dozen were Spanish NATO mil-surp, when i deprimed them i noticed two extra holes in the primer pocket. they were smaller than the nain center hole. Is this common are they safe to reload. I am of a mind if anything is different it is unsafe untill proven otherwise.
    Thanks for the help
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Grand Master

Is it possible you deprimed Berdan brass and punched the center hole with the depriming pin?

If they are Berdan primed the primer pocket will be larger than Boxer primer. They can be converted but it is a bit of work.

If they are not Berdan primed then I have no other thoughts. Maybe someone else knows.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Berdan pockets have two holes. There have been some in past that drill center for use with the ones we use. Heard chatter over the years about conversion and mostly used with CB stuff with lower pressures on hard to get brass (Steyr anyone). Never messed with, there are some that have and will end up in conversations of ignition and pressure changes. I find in 308 and for less than thirty bucks you get a bunch of brand new ones that can be formed in a given delivery system, then the weapon owns them.
    Starting new, known history, extended case life. Gtek

if these are first fired from your rifle, look into one before depriming and see if there is a larger center hole.

take measurements of the primer after removal.

does it look like Boxer primers with the anvil inside the primer cup? Berden primers IIRC do not have the anvil in the cup, rather integral with the brass casing primer pocket

Pictures would also be nice
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Is it possible you deprimed Berdan brass and punched the center hole with the depriming pin?

If they are Berdan primed the primer pocket will be larger than Boxer primer. They can be converted but it is a bit of work.

If they are not Berdan primed then I have no other thoughts. Maybe someone else knows.

Longbow
    My opinion also,been there, done that!IMO not worth the extra work,86 em!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet you just punched the Berdan anvil with your depriming pin.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Longbow

If he did, I want to know what decapping rod he's using!!!!!!!

Dan

Boolit Grand Master

I have never done it but have read that it can be done both intentionally to convert Berdan to boxer and also accidentally when someone got berdan brass mixed in with boxer.

I decided I would try to convert some Berdan to boxer and gave it a go but decided I didn't like the force I was putting on my press and decapper so stopped trying to punch through. I made a hook type decapper and a tool to remove the anvil but that's another story.

Whether it is true or not that you can punch through with a standard decapping pin I don't know but I wasn't going to break my equipment finding out.

Longbow

Boolit Master

About 10 years ago I deprimed Berdan .308 with a Lee universal depriming die. Did something like 25 before the pin broke. I put a new pin in & it broke after about the same number.

That was enough learning for me using this method.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to easily convert berdan primed cases to boxer primers read how in this "sticky"; http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=143958

Not sure I'd do it with 7.62/.308W berdan primed cases given the vast quanity of readily available boxer primed cases available though............

Larry Gibson