RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Lyman #2?

Super Moderator

Lyman #2?

A guy near where I live has 50 lbs of what he says is Lyman #2 alloy that he might sell me. I don't hear much mention of it here. My understanding is that it is 5% tin, 5% antimony and 90% lead. What is it's primary usage? Handgun? What might be a fair price for it?

Thanks...Shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the Lyman #2 formula for 40+ yrs for everything I shoot. Works excellent for me as I don't "hot rod" cast bullet loads. Under 2000 FPS with liquid alox as lube works very well with little to no leading in most rifles. I also use it in my 357 and 44 handguns. As long as the forcing cone is not under size there is very little leading in those as well.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

Boolit Master

I use Lyman #2 (5, 5, 90) for all of my rifle loads using gas checks.

I use (2, 3, 95) for my handguns.

Find out where he got it or how it was made before you buy it. There are a lot of recipes out there to make it from COWW lead and most over estimate the amount of Antimony in the wheel weight alloy so, depending on the actual recipe used, it may not be true 5% Tin, 5% Antimony, 90% Lead. It might be low in Antimony, Tin or both. Then again, it might be the real thing.

If it is true Lyman #2 it is hard to beat for easy of casting and overall bullet quality and performance. Remember, Lyman put a lot of time and research into developing/discovering it!

Good luck,

DC-1

Casts like a DREAM and works great for rifle loads. I have shot it as fast as 2250 in my 458AccRel Clint

Boolit Grand Master
    Last I bought, it was $1.65/lb a few years ago. Works great in high velocity rifle loads.

Overkill, to me, in most handgun loads. You might use it to "sweeten" current WW's, maybe in a 1/3 ratio, #2/ww. It would add some tin and maybe a bit more antimony to the mix.