Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapdoor question

Boolit Master
    An 1873 marked block is found on many much later production rifles as this was a model number, not necessarily a production date. Both low and high arch blocks are marked 1873 and blocks so marked were made and used up to 1886. The trigger your rifle has appeared about1883 and the cleaning rod was issued starting in 1882.

Does your stock still have its cartouches and date stamp?
    Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    If you don't have this book,

http://www.4570book.info/

It is another one I would recommend. Some of the information is outdated but you will learn a lot about making the Springfield Single Shot Rifle perform.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    An 1873 marked block is found on many much later production rifles as this was a model number, not necessarily a production date. Both low and high arch blocks are marked 1873 and blocks so marked were made and used up to 1886. The trigger your rifle has appeared about1883 and the cleaning rod was issued starting in 1882.

Does your stock still have its cartouches and date stamp?
    Jerry Liles
    Jerry, after checking the 6 digit SN against the info in a Dixie catalog it would appear that the rifle was manufactured in 1889. I can't find any cartouches on the stock. It doesn't appear to have been sanded but there are a number scratches and dings that could be making them hard to see. I need to get my magnifying hood and look at it closely.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    It would appear you likely have a correct set of parts then. It is possible the stock is a field replacement. Does it have a large P stamped behind the trigger on the stock wrist? The acceptance cartouche should be on the left side of the stock opposite the lock. If the wood stands just a bit above the lock plate the stock may not have been sanded and refinished.

My 1868 has a replacement stock that lacks the cartouces but is otherwise correct. This may be the case with your rifle too.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    It would appear you likely have a correct set of parts then. It is possible the stock is a field replacement. Does it have a large P stamped behind the trigger on the stock wrist? The acceptance cartouche should be on the left side of the stock opposite the lock. If the wood stands just a bit above the lock plate the stock may not have been sanded and refinished.

My 1868 has a replacement stock that lacks the cartouces but is otherwise correct. This may be the case with your rifle too.

Jerry Liles
    Thanks Jerry, if I get out of here at a reasonable hour today I'll try and remember to check those things. Might be a good idea to take the magnifying visor home as well. I'm due an eye exam and some new lenses and I'm having more trouble reading lately so I guess I might as well bite the bullet and get it done. Man getting old sucks.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    ... Man getting old sucks... Bob
    Inside every old man is a young guy saying, "What the %^&* happened??"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Inside every old man is a young guy saying, "What the %^&* happened??"
    I hear you. When I turned 50 I was running 4 miles a day. I went out to NM to guide hunters in the fall walking up and down the mountains from 7000ft up to near 10,000ft. Then my back started giving me problems and one knee and then the other needed arthroscopic surgery and now they are just about due replacement. Trying to hold off as long as possible on that. Hell if I'd of known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.................. Naw probably not.

Jerry, I looked real close and couldn't find any cartouches. Lock plate is even with the stock. If it was sanded down it was a long time ago. The dents and dings look like what you would expect of a military rifle of this age.

Bob

Boolit Master
    (WARNING....THREAD DRIFT.......)

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    ...one knee and then the other needed arthroscopic surgery and now they are just about due replacement. Trying to hold off as long as possible on that. ... Bob
    Don't hold off so long that you do futher damage to the surronding bones. I nearly did that with a shoulder. After replacement, NO PAIN!!!! I should have done it years earlier.

When you get it done, do everything they tell you to at therapy and more. It is worth having done.

We now return you to the regular portion of the Trapdoor discussion.

Boolit Master
    With everything taken together I think you have a complete and correct Trapdoor Springfield with a carefully refinished stock or, possibly, a field replacement stock. It looks like a very nice rifle and should make a fine shooter.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

It is getting into my slack time of year and the temperatures are moderating so hopefully I'll get some time out with all of my projects.

Bob