Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: further education

ahhhhhhh the 90 case answers most my questions. thanks...i know my 120 case has bookoo room for about as much powder as i wanna play with but makes a great cookie case...i use a roughly 3/8ths cookie in it with the 110 grain compressed load...ya know it when you launch a 540 grainer from rcbs mould with this amount of compressed powder but its very tolerable and aint nuthin like the beating i take from some warmer loads in my #1.

well my latest try with these cookies was trying to get 70 grains in my 45-70 cases with a cookie and 55 grains in my 38-55 cases....all charges was with GOEX cartridge powder. cases were winchester for the 38's and rp & winchester for the 45.

both experiments went awry...bulged the cases with the compression needed for the cookie and over cookie wad. when i fired these tho they contributed to my trust in this system with absolutly no problems in the chambering of repeated shots. i used the 1/4 inch cookie in both cases for both the 38-55 and the 45-70's . i love the repeatability of this cookie style shooting and find that the 45-120 case is ideal for horsepower loads with the 3/8ths cookie. they perform well and with either the 400ish or the 500+ grain boolits papered they have the horsepower to do any job i could ever run into.

MC...did you ever get back to your cookie experiments?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    MC...did you ever get back to your cookie experiments?
    Nope ... it's time to be puttin' up hay.

I only fired half of my first 'cookie loads' at the gong, and I need to shoot the rest at paper to see how the load groups.
    Then, I'll put together a stack with a taller cookie, and see what happens.

But, the hay comes first ...

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 07-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

i understand...good haying sir and if i were in the neighborhood id drop by for an extra hand. hope the rain holds for you!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    i understand...
    Well, the hay got put in the stack and that cutting turned out better than it looked when the season began. Then, I went straight to irrigating for the second cutting, and finished that today.

With some time to think about 'other things', I took the remaining seven rounds from that first experiment and fired five of them on a 200 yard paper target.

The first session (back in July) told me that 'shooting dirty' doesn't work for more than three shots, so I used a blow tube this time. At least it's less hassle than wiping.

That worked out pretty well. I never had a round that was stubborn to load. Remember, these are patched to groove bullets.
    And, the group was reasonably good for a real casual shooting session.

I shot sitting on the ground using some homemade cross stix that don't have spikes on the bottom. So, they lean into me when I am blowtubing and loading, and they may not return to the same 'vertical' from one shot to the next.

If it wasn't caused by me, that could account for the vertical stringing, but I just wasn't energetic enough to haul out the bench ... and everything ... for seven shots.

The centers of the bottom hole and the top hole are four inches apart.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.