Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underhammers

Nice sandals, too, Frank.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Hey,
    Thoughs are my shootin' sandals. When i shoot I wear socks with holes and they usually get a point or two extra combined with the wind flags

Frank

Boolit Master

Numrich under hammer

I was introduced to muzzle loading in 1959 by a neighbor and the Numrich copy of the H&A rifles were all I could afford to buy. I shot it in matches for many years and never had one problem with either gun. I have no recollection of them burning my arm either. I only wore long sleeves in the winter and we had matches all year long. I used the .45 cal for 100 yard shooting and the 76 cal for fifty yards. As a club we had so many members that we could buy wholesale and the guns were cheap even for that time. I had a friend mill the side of the barrel and install Redfield peep sights. It was the #85 and we got them for 5 bucks because they were govt surplus. Both guns were accurate and I regret selling them.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I was introduced to muzzle loading in 1959 by a neighbor and the Numrich copy of the H&A rifles were all I could afford to buy. .
    Numrich bought the H&A name and introduced an under hammer under that name in 1955, H&A never made an under hammer. The under hammer design can be dated to 1750 with the first ones being flint lock. In the 1830s and 40s there were several people making under hammers, probably more pistols than rifles.

Slug Gun UH

Not wanting to let this Underhammer thread die, here is my Underhammer Slug Gun. Originally built many years ago (40 or more) by a North Westerner named Milo Taylor. I rebreeched it (the larger octagon part) and rebarreled it to 38 cal. It's a closed igintion system that uses small pistol primers.

Sorry, I forgot to picture the shootin' sandles

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    If it wouldn't be hijacking the thread, I've got an underhammer action on which I've trying to puzzle out the breeching system. Neat action, but I don't understand how it was intended to be set up--thought I had it once, but when I sketched it out I saw my ideas wouldn't work.

I've been wanting to try my hand at making an underhammer also. Thinking this winter will be the year. For those of you who might be interested, Mr. Renner (owner of Pacific Rifle) has a nice blog associated to Underhammer guns.

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

Here's a picture of my under-hammer heavy bench gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heavy bench rifle 004.jpg   heavy bench rifle 001.jpg   heavy bench rifle 002.jpg   heavy bench rifle 005.jpg  

That is very nice slug gun, Stuffy. I don't think that there is any place left on the West Coast to shoot them anymore. Do you still have matches in your area?

Frank

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nice bench rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Snuffy that looks like a ton of fun.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    That is very nice slug gun, Stuffy. I don't think that there is any place left on the West Coast to shoot them anymore. Do you still have matches in your area?

Frank
    She has a roundball barrel on her. I don't shoot it much, takes a lot of work being so heavy, weights in at 28 lb.

WOW ! - Where's the undercarriage ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Beautiful rifle; it still needs to be exercised occasionally.

Actually, for decades I never had any problem with a burned forearm from firing my H&A underhammer as long as I stayed within reasonable loads (60 - 65 grns). I started having problems about the time the tg/hammer/guard spring began to die. The weakened spring started allowing the hammer to blow back. I haven't fired it yet with the replacement spring but am optimistic the problem is solved.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

I have two underhammer pistols. One is a 40 cal made by Charlie Caywood the next to last one he made (retired now). The other one is a 45 cal made by P. Bondini (replica Italy) in 1983. Both are very accurate and fun to shoot.
    "MEIYO" Semper Paradus

Boolit Master

Hammer for my next build.

Flintlock under hammer.

Boolit Master

I wonder how long that it took for someone to work out the mechanics of that lock?

Boolit Master

Talk about a burnt arm. I know the flintlocks must work but it sure seems like it wouldn't.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Talk about a burnt arm. I know the flintlocks must work but it sure seems like it wouldn't.
    It all happens so fast the priming powder doesn't have time to fall out of the pan. Also, the flash hole is usually in the center of the pan instead of to the side, so the fire channel is more direct.

Boolit Master

Looks like it would give a good burn but it happens very fast and as long as your arm is not lined up with the flash hole you should be safe.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGHFQxQZxeg