RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: S&w 627

S&w 627

Just curious if anyone has a Smith 627 8 shot 357? Are they all moon clip and can they be shot without the clips?
    Thanks
    WMW
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Love Life
    I had one. It had issues from the factory and I wore it out after only owning it for 6 months. It was not worth the performance center premium. I sold it off and have been happy ever since.

I would look at one of the all steel models.

That being said you can fire them without moonclips, and they work just fine. 5 star firearms makes speed loaders for them, but they scratch the heck out of the scandium fram.

Boolit Master
    I thought that the 627 was all stainless.
    Am i wrong?

There are variations of the 627 with scandium parts.
    A guy at my club bought the 8 shot from Performance Center and was (is) very dissatisfied with it. The trigger job was awful and he had to stone new angles on the trigger and hammer as well as fit a new hand and deburr the frame etc. The springs also needed change, it was not reliable enough for competition and he had to change to a longer striking pin to get even Federal 100 primers to go off. Bear in mind that this was a completely new revolver, straight from Performance Center!

I've had a 6-shot model 627 (first two generations -0 and -1 were 6-shot) with unfluted cylinder, it was one of the best revolvers I've ever seen. It could outperform the Ruger GP100 in hot loads and had the accuracy of a fine 686. I just loved it, but had to sell it to finance other items. I miss it dearly...

(fortunately enough I sold it to a guy in my club who lives just a block from me, I can probably borrow it when I feel the need to )
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Love Life
    Oops! I could have sworn I read 327. I had the 327 PC. PC stood for piece of **** on that one.

Sorry for the bum scoop OP.

Boolit Grand Master

I just shot the ICORE East Coast Championship on Sunday with my PC 627. Lots of others there too. A fine pistol well worth the premium for the Performance Center upgrades. The trigger did need to be lightened a little more for competition, but the factory wants it to set off any primers, not just Federal.

Yes, all 627 eight shots are factory cut for moon clips. Yes, all 627s can be single loaded and shot without the moons.

Boolit Master

I have 2 - 8 shot 627s a V8 and a 8 TIMES & my BIL also has a V8 and all have been accurate and functioned excellent for many years .
    We mainly use ours for steel plate matches and use full moon clips , my two also work excellent in the normal fashion without full moon clips. I dont know about my BIL