Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronographs?

Boolit Master
    I own an Oehler 35P as well. I payed ?$350.00 for a new one from Oehler back in the day (1986?). I did send the base / printer unit back to them for refurbishment about 3 years ago; the printer rollers had hardened and shrunk, so I would get overlapping printouts due to paper slippage. This has been the only "issue" I've had in what, 23 years?, not bad. Oehler replaced the printer for $60.00 with shipping. This was just prior to them reintroducing them. I'll echo the praises already stated, & I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had to, although they've gone up in price. I chose Oehler because at the time, Oehler was the eldest manufacturer of chronographs, (Biggn's for Govt. work too) so I figured they new what they were doing. I don't know if you can beat their customer service after the sale.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 07-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Bob

Boolit Master

Pact Model 1 if you're on a budget. The expensive part sits on the bench with you. If you manage to shoot it, you have bigger problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    I've had a Chrony Beta Master for a number of years, and it has served me well. It continues to do so. Being somewhat of a gizmo junkie, I had to have one of the new MagnetoSpeed chronographs. I haven't had a chance to do a shot for shot comparison of the two, but I have high hopes for the MagnetoSpeed. It's a new design that uses magnetic field fluctuations to trigger instead of light. One of my biggest peeves with chronographs is that they're all subject to erratic behavior with changing light conditions. This MagnetoSpeed can be used in the dark, if you want too. It also doesn't need to be set up in front of the firing line at ranges, it mounts on the barrel. I've used it a few times, and like it a lot. Like I said, I'll be interested to do a head to head comparison with my Beta Master. I think these guys may have invented the next generation of chronograph design.
    Sounds interesting, but I would have a problem with it if it attaches to the barrel. Attaching stuff always seems to change POI. Not so bad for something permanently mounted that you can adjust your sights for, but for something that is only on occasionally.....

Boolit Bub
    Didn't Oehler stop selling to the public a while back?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXrings View Post
    Didn't Oehler stop selling to the public a while back?
    They HAD discontinued the 35P; but about two years ago went back into production. As a matter of fact, during some correspondence I had with them; just prior to their re-introduction, they would put you on a waiting list for the purchase if you ordered one. Then you'd get an email of the scheduling of your order & when to expect completion & shipment. They're very good with communications regarding orders. They've always provided warranty & repair services for their units.
    I've just got nothing bad to say about Oehler.

http://oehler-research.com/model35.html
    Last edited by PbHurler; 07-17-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have a neighbor down the road that places his chronograph within 3 feet of his target and generally shoots at 100 yards. Says he wants to know the velocity when the bullet reaches the target, not right out of the barrel. He is a much better shot than I am and has never hit his chronograph!
    Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; 07-17-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Boolit Master

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph is what I had for quite a long time and used it for black powder cartridge, smokeless, and even shot gun. Little tricks to use to keep soot or shot cups from messing-up the results, but it faithfully worked great IF the sky was overcast, yet bright. Sky screens or no, that condition with the sky was the key to consistent results. Then last year, I got to trying some new 40SW loads and I put her out of her misery. Bought another that evening just like the old one.

prs

Boolit Man

I've had a PACT Model 1 for about 10 years and have been very satisfied. The only issue that I've had is that the sky screens need to be shaded - I suppose because of the very bright Arizona sky. I normally use a garden umbrella and set it up so the shadow falls on the sky screens. If shaded, the chrono seems to be very accurate. Got it at Midway including the screen bar, carrying case and chrono for about $100.

I have a first model Chrony, bought in '87 and a Pact, Model 1 that I bought to replace it. I shot through the cardboard holes for a short time with the Chrony, then made my own arangement and after a short while, I discarded that. I shoot through my skyscreens w/o anything above them. If the sun is at a angle that it dosen't get to the "eye" it works fine. If it is, I find some kind of shade to cover the hole.

Since I bought the Pact, I really haven't used it very much, because of the ease of setup for the Chrony and the space difficulty of transporting the Pact. The fact that I used the Chrony for so long probably has something to do with it also.

I've had a GC hit the top edge of the metal and I have holes in the face of it from black powder granuals hitting it. I made a Lexan shield for that (you also need to cover the skyscreens with Saran Wrap to keep the residue out).

When I use a chrono, I'm mostly interested in the ES and SD and the Chrony will do that, either by manually recording or auto with the later ones.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph is what I had for quite a long time and used it for black powder cartridge, smokeless, and even shot gun. Little tricks to use to keep soot or shot cups from messing-up the results, but it faithfully worked great IF the sky was overcast, yet bright. Sky screens or no, that condition with the sky was the key to consistent results. Then last year, I got to trying some new 40SW loads and I put her out of her misery. Bought another that evening just like the old one

prs

I had the model before this one. It worked great for many years but eventually got glitchy. Sometimes it worked great, sometimes it wouldn't work at all. I called the company about getting it rebuilt, sent it back, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Offered me a trade for 75.00 I think. I took it and got the same model as pigeon roost slim has. Works great in most weather conditions. CE was great to work with and I recommend them highly.

They're also made in the USA
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live