RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tactical Vest?

Boolit Master

Tactical Vest?

Got a birthday coming up and wife asked me what I want. I told her I would like a tactical vest to hold my AR mags, pistol ammo, and other useful tools like flashlights, basic cleaning kit, etc. This is something I know nothing about, other than the fact that I know I want one. Hoping to find a good source to learn about these sorts of vests either through the forum, or via a link, and then send the Mrs. a link to a place to buy one.

(Mods feel free to move if this is an inappropriate place.)

Boolit Master

I bought the NC Star one,liked the features,fit,comfort,price!Girdles the middle age spread in well!!http://www.vism.com/products/vests.html
    Last edited by GT27; 06-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/pr...+Tactical+Vest

Its made in the US and not China.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Love Life
    I would not get a vest with mag pouches already sewn on. Go with a plain molle vest. That way you can attach/ detach items of your choice, and arrange them on the vest to your liking.

Boolit Master

Tactical vest ..........

Having worn a tactical vest [professionally] prior to retiring, I would strongly suggest 2 specifics; 1) fluid bladder compatible, and 2) fabricated out of nylon "mesh" construction.

Some I've tried that weren't of mesh construction were too hot while wearing to be of much help. And bulk becomes an issue when you're vest is fully outfitted and operational. Believe me, unless you pack light, it will weigh and extra 25 lbs.

Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master

Good thread. I've been asking the question -Which one? - for quite a while. Good to hear some rational and see what other have chosen. What do folks think about the one with the holster set up on the left for right handed? The mesh an hydation compatable system seem like good ideas.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    I always preferred a drop leg holster instead of one attached to the vest itself. That way, if you ever need to ditch the vest, and eventually you will if you wear it long enough, you keep the handgun. The downside to the drop leg is that it is a pain in a car/truck seat, but I was usually in a helicopter or on a motorcycle so it was great. It also freed up the space a holster would have taken up for extra ammo pouches and a small 1st aid pouch. I definitely second the mesh construction and water bladder compatibility. Those are two things that many people dont think about that make a HUGE difference. As to which specific one, is there any possibility of you actually getting to try any on physically to see if any are more comfortable than others? I would recommend one thing, and that is to make sure at least your strong side shoulder is clear to make shouldering your rifle quicker and smoother, and this includes making sure any pouches you put on that side are compact enough to not snag your sling or buttstock. This can be accomplished with training also if you want/need something more bulky on that side but you have to make sure it becomes second nature before relying on it.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.html

A little pricy but this company sells a lot of gear to guys and gals going into harms way.

Love Life
    http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-...dular-tac-vest

That is the one I have used for over 8 years. It does not have a fluid bladder compartment, but a camelback works just as well. It allows you to set up your pouches where ever they are best for you.

It has inside compartments to put maps or other items, and it spreads the load very well. It also doesn't have zippers which is a big deal to me, but may not be to you.

I like the snaps because it allows you to open up the vest easily and lay in the prone much better.

In Remebrance

[QUOTE=2ndAmendmentNut;1759533
    (Mods feel free to move if this is an inappropriate place.)[/QUOTE]

Like to The High Road or Glocktalk or the AR forum or Tactical Mall Ninja Monthly?

No offense guys! This was just such an odd question for this site I couldn't resist!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Like to The High Road or Glocktalk or the AR forum or Tactical Mall Ninja Monthly?

No offense guys! This was just such an odd question for this site I couldn't resist!
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input guys!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Cmon' Bret........back off a bit. I'll bet you could get pretty close to a full bucket of wheel weights in that thing. Much better than trying to hoof the bucket back to your car!

Boolit Master

I have not been to any of those other forums - And I certainly do enjoy the input from the members of this forum.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

re: vest

This would make a nice vest for a variety of considerations. Molle compatible is a must. Cheaper than dirt dot com has tons of Molle compatible accessories and colors that will work on the vest noted above.

If you're like me, I'm constantly changing this pouch, that pouch, this goes here, no there. A trillion different ways to set up your vest. None the less, the one noted looks about ideal. Oh, one thing I learned regarding vests: Don't buy cheap! You get what you pay for, bite the bullet the first time and set it up right.

As a last note; I would recommend one pouch for an "Izzy" bandage. Its a specialized trauma bandage perfected by the Israeli's. About $7.00. Just in case.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

If you buy a vest with a drag handle make sure it can actually drag your weight without breaking.

Nice to have inside pockets for paperwork - Nice to have bladder pocket big enough for ceramic/steel plate if need comes up.

Best place to practice with your vest will be 3-gun competition.

NC Star one
    liked the features, (yep must fit your needs today and if you mission changes)
    fit, (should be adjustable, even while wearing it)
    comfort, (if you can't get comfortable with it, you can modify them sum.)
    price, (This will depend upon how important this vest is to your mission)

I want to see him belly down and crawling in this vest set up this way, Vest needs to protect your gear as well.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-01-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I have a tac tailer vest, I sure wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just make sure it has a YKK zipper.
    Mine is a $45 one from CTD, it's fine but the zipper WILL break some day (it is not a YKK).
    There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.