Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OCD brass cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    I stopped putting them in the dryer recently, the noise was indescribable. The cases peen the c r a p out of the inside of the dryer too. Took the paint right off a good portion of it, and resurfaced the plastic removable lint trap.
    Have you tried putting the brass in lingerie bag? If one doesn't try doubling them up. An old pillowcase tied at the end might work also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Ya the front groove gets buffs smooth compared to the bullets that aren't tumbled they have a nice shape edge but will that really effect anything? there tumble lube bullet so there is another groove just a mm away.

About the crimp on some of them I was paying around with crimp before I decided to not use any crimp at all and ya some of them got pretty heavy all seemed to shoot fine tho.
    Have you pulled a boolit or three and miked the froward driveband to make sure it stayed the same diameter?

Just for those that may not know, clean brass shoots better. Shiney brass does not. I again challenge anyone here - or anywhere else - to show documentation that your super shiney brass shoots better than slightly dull (but clean!) brass.

I liken the super shiney brass crowd to those that wash their cars and mow their lawns 2 or 3 times a week. Might make them feel better, but it sure doesn't impress me.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Just for those that may not know, clean brass shoots better. Shiney brass does not. I again challenge anyone here - or anywhere else - to show documentation that your super shiney brass shoots better than slightly dull (but clean!) brass.
    This reminds me of something my youngest son said when he was about 14. We were driving down the street and car went by that had racing stripes painted on it. His remark was something like "WOW! Racing stripes! That car must be fast."

Those boolits look NICE! What mold are you using to produce them? It kind of looks like the 358242. Please correct me if im wrong.
    A Poacher Is A Thief... And We Are The Victim.

OK, you need to switch to Win primers and then polish those to match. Are your boolits coated? They look kinda dull and...untidy. Just pullin' yer chain, bud.
    Here ya go I polished up some old copper jacket bullets I had that where getting really dark and it really brought them back to life and I through in some pure Zinc bullets to tho not a whole lot of difference with them. I like the matching primer idea but I also like to be able to switch to my super light hammer spring in the CZ and still set them off so I'm stuck with federal what I need to do is get some nickle plated cases then they would match but the next thing i'll probably do is go find some really nasty looking range brass and see if I can bring it back to life.

I liken the super shiney brass crowd to those that wash their cars and mow their lawns 2 or 3 times a week. Might make them feel better, but it sure doesn't impress me.
    Some of us are also anal about preferring pretty women. They may not cook or do other important things any better than the homely ones, but they sure make the adventure more pleasurable, and that my friend is DOCUMENTED.

Regarding either brass or women. clean is essential, but pretty is more desirable. Clean, pretty brass; clean, pretty women; clean cars, and freshly mown grass are just signs of good taste and breeding.

So now you know!
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master
    those zinc bullets look like heaven

Boolit Master
    Clean, pretty women that taste good can lead to breeding.

Boolit Master

AT least my brass is Low maintenance comparatively speaking and I dont have to worry about Jody sneaking around them... lol
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    alan in vermont.....I almost spewed tea through my nose. Those rounds look nice. Mine are clean but by the time i get through loading them my fingers have already started discoloring them. I guess i just need to shoot em up before anyone sees them....
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    Some of us are also anal about preferring pretty women. They may not cook or do other important things any better than the homely ones, but they sure make the adventure more pleasurable, and that my friend is DOCUMENTED.

Regarding either brass or women. clean is essential, but pretty is more desirable. Clean, pretty brass; clean, pretty women; clean cars, and freshly mown grass are just signs of good taste and breeding.

So now you know!
    Cadillo if you think you need to wash your car or cut your grass 3 times a week then more power to you. I have better things to do. And I assure you I can taste and am as inbred as anyone here. Wait... that's not what he meant...

Cadillo if you think you need to wash your car or cut your grass 3 times a week then more power to you. I have better things to do. And I assure you I can taste and am as inbred as anyone here. Wait... that's not what he meant...
    Whatever you say about your bloodlines is OK here.

Be Well!
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Banned
    1) Clean shiny brass/cartridges gives you confidense!!!
    You think: Yeah that'll work for shure and shoot good.

A grimy/snotty/cruddy round will make you go: Hmmmm poof or no go?

2) I add some AUTO "Crome Polish" (Abrasive) and some "Wax Polish" (Polish) to my corn cob and once in a while a little "vinyl polish" to prevent static (and it will keep the high luster forever!!!).

I do use SS but i shoot BP so i want that little extra, as i'm a Magpie regarding my brass

Boolit Mold
    JUST TUMBLED SOME 45 ACP BRASS AND DUMPED IN SOME BRASSO CASES CAME OUT SHINNY BUT SOME OF THEM HAD MEDIA "CLUMPED UP INSIDE OF THEM"! HAD TO DIG OUT WITH SCREWDRIVER. ANY SUGGESTIONS? garypoling64@Gmail.com

Boolit Mold

Here ya go I polished up some old copper jacket bullets I had that where getting really dark and it really brought them back to life and I through in some pure Zinc bullets to tho not a whole lot of difference with them. I like the matching primer idea but I also like to be able to switch to my super light hammer spring in the CZ and still set them off so I'm stuck with federal what I need to do is get some nickle plated cases then they would match but the next thing i'll probably do is go find some really nasty looking range brass and see if I can bring it back to life.
    WOW! That is some shiny brass! I'm not sure I would want to shoot brass that shiny... i'd just sit around and marvel at it.

Boolit Master

I don't have the stainless media yet but it is something I would like to try out for a change. Currently, I deprime, rinse in warm water, let sit in vinegar for about five minutes, rinse and wash with Dawn dish soap, and then strain. I dont rinse the soapy water, I just put the brass in the tumbler and let it run. I had some absolutely black brass come out like new. The polishing media stays clean longer. The moisture seems to make the ground walnut swell up and stay rougher. The moisture evaporates within 30 minutes, and the brass is done in about an hour.

Once or twice, I have put Turtle Zip Wash (for cars) in the media. That seemed to make the brass polish faster and seemed to seal the pores of the brass. Sizing with carbide dies seemed a tad easier and the brass tended not to tarnish after it was loaded. Frank

Boolit Master
    Qoute: "JUST TUMBLED SOME 45 ACP BRASS AND DUMPED IN SOME BRASSO CASES CAME OUT SHINNY BUT SOME OF THEM HAD MEDIA "CLUMPED UP INSIDE OF THEM"! HAD TO DIG OUT WITH SCREWDRIVER. ANY SUGGESTIONS?"

I suggest you don't use Brasso. It has ammonia in it and ammonia weakens and deteriorates brass! Some folks use it and apparently get away with it, at least for awhile but I would not get anything with ammonia in it anywhere near my brass (especially primers)!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy

Questions on this method

Lol not that it's recommend but the reason they look that way is I tumble these rounds live so the lead got polished to as I wanted these rounds to look as nice as my other brass.
    They are Purdy looking! I was wondering how you got the boolit to look that way.

I've never done it myself, but has anyone experienced and issues/detonation from tumbling live rounds? Also is the protective water resistant coating being removed from the primers by being tumbled? Lastly, how does SS media affect the brass long term? How much brass is being removed with each tumbling?

So far, I'm having excellent luck with the citric acid followed by a corn cob tumbling

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad