MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: hitt'n left

Boolit Grand Master

hitt'n left

my new gun is hitting way left
    It has adjustable sights and they are all the way right
    still hits left
    what to ?
    what kind of options do I have available ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a barrel indexing problem. What kind of gun, caliber, barrel length?

This is not an uncommon occurance. Strangely enough about half of my Rugers have the barrels not quite indexed correctly which causes the exact same problem you have described. Each of those particular guns required that the sight be moved radically to the right to solve the problem. The real solution is to have a gunsmith or Ruger to properly index the barrel.

You can check this by clamping the gun in a vise. CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT IT IS UNLOADED. put a level on the top of the frame and get the bubble in the center. Look down the front of the gun from the front sight back to the level and you should be able to tell if it is off.

Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master
    It does thanks for the tip
    btw Ruger Blackhawk 44 special flat top 4 5/8"barrel
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

You may be able to see it by just looking through the rear sight and seeing if it is tilted. On some guns it is very obvious. Welcome to the volunteer Ruger QC department.

I'd make them send a call tag and fix it. They're the ones that screwed it up.

Fairly common sadly. If you were a new shooter, I'd be inclined to think it was half you, like it was me As I lightened the triggers and figured how to hold em, my rear sights got closer and closer to center. Now they pretty much all are. Luckily, I was only afflicted by the TDS sight.

But, before I sent it to Ruger, I'd pull the ERH and witness mark it. Then clamp it in the vise and tighten the barrel a fraction.

Boolit Bub
    call ruger , explain the problem and be amazed at how many hoops they jump threw to make you happy

Banned

Just look across the top of the gun. You can see if the barrel is in crooked or the sight is leaning.
    It was common during one period of Dan Wesson revolvers to have barrels pointing sideways. Some were so bad the rear sight needed a 6" extension!
    I bought a Mark II once that I could not hit a thing with. I found I was hitting the ground 20' in front of me. The barrel was straight and the crown perfect. I inspected and measured, the bore was perfect too.
    I called Ruger and they sent me a new gun, no questions asked and no explanation of what was wrong.
    Sometimes I think something is wrong with the barrel steel.

Boolit Master

call ruger , explain the problem and be amazed at how many hoops they jump threw to make you happy
    I would say yes to doing this. Speak to Gill at customer service,
    tell him the problem and get it fixed. Tell him Sam and Julie from Maine said hello.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    check the crown and make sure there is not a nick at the termination of the bore/rifling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    It was common during one period of Dan Wesson revolvers to have barrels pointing sideways. Some were so bad the rear sight needed a 6" extension!
    They were just thinking ahead to gangbangers that liked to shoot holding the gun sideways, and trying to provide a product for that sadly growing market.

Boolit Grand Master
    called Ruger they sent me a shipping label
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear. I had a taurus that was fixed sight and hit about a foot left. I could not figure it out. Just got ready to send it back and a buddy wanted it for a boat gun. I sold it rather than mess with it and it was my last taurus. Glad Ruger wanted to make it right.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    44 Special Flattop is a good choice though, sorry to hear you're having trouble with it.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton