WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plinking slug load

Boolit Mold

Plinking slug load

Hey guys, I have been messing around with improvised 12ga loads for fun. The only load that I have done these with have been the Federal 100rd bulk packs from Wally world, 2 3/4" low brass, 7.5 shot. I have tried some cut shells in my H&R Topper with an ImpCylinder fixed choke and I have had no problems and a lot of fun. I know that it can't take a steady diet of these due to the large diameter "slug" going down the barrel. So, I tried making some wax slugs with cheap crayons. These sucked, only 1 out of 10 held together. So, in my pondering, I have given thought to purchasing a Lee 1oz keydrive slug mold. This youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIlmZ...layer_embedded
    Making 12 Gauge Slug Loads
    shows a guy that has a pretty good method for turning the birdshot loads that I use into slug loads. He has another linked video showing how these perform and they seem to do pretty well. I know that when I do this, I take full responsability for all my actions, so please don't call me an idiot, I am already aware of this. My question to you guys is, do you think this is a would work decently for a plinking slug load for my Topper? Thanks.

slug mold

Lee 1oz keydrive slug mold its a good mold however u get what u pay fore
    i use fed hulls
    cci primer
    blue dot
    aa huls
    1\4 felt under slug
    roll crimp
    6-8 in groups 100 yds

i would avoid altering the factory loads could end up bad.....
    Last edited by Net_Ranger101; 05-30-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: over exagerated the group size
    Who ever appeals to the law against his fellow man is ether a fool or a coward.
    whoever can not take care of himself with out that law is both
    for a wounded man will say to his assailant if i die you are forgiven if i live i will kill you such is the rule of honor!!

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot doesn't work all that well for a plinking load. It is meant as a magnum shotshell propellant and really works well for lead in the 1 1/4-1 7/8 oz range.. You can load 1 1/8 oz and 1 oz slug loads with it, but it generally shines with heavier payloads that give it some resistance.

I think the idea of plinking is somewhere in the realm of 1 oz @ 1145-1250 fps.. Just like a basic target load would be.. I'd go with something like Red Dot, Green Dot, 700x, and the like..

The idea of using 1 1/8 oz target loads with the shot removed and the 1 oz lead slug inserted is likely just fine. Pressure will generally be less since the load was developed with a heavier payload in mind. The lighter payload will most likely increase velocity a bit and decrease pressure. If you were you substituting a heavier slug into a lighter payload (say 1 1/4 oz slug into a load made for 1 oz target loads) THAT would be something to avoid.

ymmv though, this is after all an internet forum.. Take this solely as my opinion.

My question to you guys is, do you think this would work decently for a plinking slug load for my Topper? Thanks.
    It should work just fine for plinking loads. I use red dot, green dot and have used 700x for low recoil slug loads. sargenv gives good advice on this subject.

is it just me? or do the words "Plinking" and "slug" not belong in the same sentence?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

nukehayes,
    Welcome to Castboolits.
    I loaded up a bunch of "plinking slug loads" last year. I don't have my reloading log here w/ me but I remember I used Remington STS hulls, Clays International powder,Lee 1 oz. slug and I don't remember the primer or wad. I got the recipe from the Hogdon website. It was for a 1 oz. shot load and I merely subsituted the slug for the shot.
    I am shooting these out of two smoothbore shotguns and they provide minute of milk jug at 35-40 yds. Recoil is modest but they still blow the heck out of milk jug and recoil is no more than a target load, maybe less. I made these light loads to have fun with and to let my wife and friends play around with.
    Good luck, jmsj

You will find more then one person on this forum who has taken the cheap 1-1/8oz. shot loads and opened up the crimp and dumped out the shot and put in a wad-slug of equal or lesser weight instead and re-crimped with decent results as "plinker" loads. You will also find those who load similar combinations from the ground up in fired hulls using equal or slightly heavier weight lead shot load data to make lower velocity loads.

The 1-oz. Lee slug is a favorite for doing these kind of loads but a simple round ball of appropriate diameter works as well and is a lot easier to cast and most claim just as good or better accuracy then the Lee slugs. The RCBS 0.678" diameter round ball is generally considered one of the best options although the Lee 0.690" diameter round ball mold is a lot cheaper although slightly heavier and a slightly too tight fit which doesn't cause any safety problems but may reduce accuracy compared to the slightly smaller size ball from the more expensive RCBS mold.

You can read about my exploits with moderate slug loads here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86712
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm wondering, given that the Lee slug measures about .670", how it's possible to get "2-3 inch" groups at 100 yards when it's seated in a wad with the petals missing.

It would rattle down the barrel, if smoothbore or rifled.

For "plinking" loads, and I use them for such, I use 16.5 Red Dot, WAASL or WAAL wad, Winchester primer or milder, tapered interior trap load type shell for somewhere between 1100 to 1200 fps.

Lots less kick. I've had some issues with wad failure with Claybuster wads. The Winchester originals seem to hold up better.

Really swings and knocks over steel reactive targets. Accuracy is minute of irritant, or chest cavity, at fifty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I'm wondering, given that the Lee slug measures about .670", how it's possible to get "2-3 inch" groups at 100 yards when it's seated in a wad with the petals missing.

It would rattle down the barrel, if smoothbore or rifled. . . .

Absolutely correct, the Lee slug is a wad-slug and in a 12ga. it needs to be inside the petals of the shot cup on a shot wad to work properly. It can be used in the 16ga. as a full bore slug with a little sizing.

As to the actual diameter of the Lee slug, there is of course variation from one mold to another and casting alloy to alloy, but at its widest point in the middle it is usually 0.680" or just under that. So I think your 0.670"number is a little small, at least if we are talking about its maximum diameter since it does taper slightly smaller at its base to match the taper of most wad petals since most of them are thicker at the base then at the top.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is my base diameter, but it doesn't particularly matter as it's way under the diameter where rifling grips the slug, or the barrel guides it.

Just trying to separate the actual claims from the bogus ones, in the interest of useful information. Point is, a wad of some sort with petals intact to take up the windage is needed, as you noted and I implied.

with WAA12 wad With out petals removed the shell is tight or hard to chamber in my mosberg 500 im not trying to mislead Anny one im just stating the information that i know and use from the Lyman shotshell reloading handbook
    yes i exaggerated group size my apologies 6-8 in ill load up a few and take pics of my process along with photos at the range showing the end result...........
    avg .685

for a wounded man will say to his assailant if i die you are forgiven if i live i will kill you such is the rule of honor!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    is it just me? or do the words "Plinking" and "slug" not belong in the same sentence?
    Nope, not just you! I was going to offer my Plinking Slug data, but I was going to have to go out to the shop where I keep it with the GPS co-ords I dialed in for the 560-horespower John Deere when I use it to till the wife's flower bed, and it's late.

Seriously though, for "plinking" with any kind of choke, I wonder how a slug cast from candle paraffin or high-temp microcrystalline wax would work for "plinking" with commercial skeet-grade cut-offs? Seems like the Lee mould, a spoon, a can of Pam, a saucepan and an old coffee warmer would be all that's needed.

Gear

with WAA12 wad With out petals removed the shell is tight or hard to chamber in my mosberg 500 im not trying to mislead Anny one im just stating the information that i know and use from the Lyman shotshell reloading handbook
    Are you using genuine WAA12 wads or clones? My Lee slugs are .685 as i recall and they should drop right into a chamber when loaded in thin straight walled hulls like the federals. Are you sure it isn't a tapering problem?

yes i exaggerated group size
    I do this a lot when sitting around the campfire. Must be the moonlight that causes group exaggeration?????

I have
    WAA12 clones ya probability a tapering problem
    also
    12S3 ( clay buster)
    12S4 ( Federal)
    Waxed hard card 12g 1\2in
    felt cushion wad 12g x 1\4in
    overshot cards 12g

well finally had it with this lee mold piece of ** $21 it not even worth that .....
    Ive been fighting this mold for about a year... always the same problems
    jacked up spru plate ( drilled and tapped for set screw)
    mold handles coming off ( epoxied them in place)
    Center bolt and nut keep coming loose
    warped spru plate
    ect ect ect......

i sat down and cast 50 slugs this evening cursing the whole time..

however i have finally fixed it ( the ultimate solution)
    threw it out the window
    going to buy a Lyman tomorrow

Boolit Grand Master
    Net Ranger, the Lee slug is meant to be used with a wad having the petals on. Don't trim the petals off. You won't hit anything.

ya sounds good Ive been doing that for a few years with limited success however i recently decided to buy a new slug mold after throwing my lee mold out the window

the last of the lee slugs will be loaded with the petals on however first ill have to by some better wads witch was the cause of my problem of the shells being tight in the chamber in the first place

Anny suggestions on the new mold i was thinking a Lyman 1-Cavity Foster Slug 475 Grain

i think that would do the trick considering its a great improvement compared to the lee mold

Anny suggestions on the new mold i was thinking a Lyman 1-Cavity Foster Slug 475 Grain

i think that would do the trick considering its a great improvement compared to the lee mold
    Well actually it's not a great improvement as it's just a standard foster slug without the rifling flutes on it. If it were actually full bore it would be a great improvement in a smoothbore barrel, but there are folks reporting that it's undersized and therefore "rattles" down the bore. I would suggest the Lyman 525 grn. sabot and experimenting with different wads.

Banned
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=155475
    Hello NetRanger, the Lee slug is far better than the Lyman foster slug of .705 as it was designed by very smart engineers under the influence of alcohol, and really works very well if you are drunk, guess what I just might have been drunk enough to own 4 molds of that!
    Please read my post link above and try them once more with a open mind!
    Hope it helps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie's-Blazing Sabots
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com