Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sniffing Hoppe's #9

I like it, too. Probably because of the pleasant memories associated with it.

Another one I like is linseed oil.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I sniffed Hoppe's once, but I didn't inhale.

Ger
    LMAO....now that is funny, but all the replys are good...everyone's pretty sharp witted today for sure..and I wholeheartedly agree...............EXCEPT......alox , IT STINKS..

My wife goes crackers when I open a bottle of Hoppe's. I tell her it's no worse when she gives herself a home perm. That perm solution smells like rotten eggs. It must not bother her more than she lets on, I have been using it for over 30 years and I'm still living with her. LOL.

Boolit Bub
    It's my favorite aroma-therapy. I'm also fortunate to have a girlfriend that loves the smell of it too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Knew a watch maker who used it. Used it on corroded watch backs and to get under rust.
    His shop had the subtle aroma of Hoppe's and freshly cleaned watches and clocks.

Added a nice ambiance with all the cool cleaning machines, staking tools, miniature lathes, ect.
    I love the smell of Hoppes. Kind of a nostalgic aroma of a different era. Sort of like an old time hardware
    store with cutting oil smell and wood floors

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

hey a new sent for YANKEE CANDLE SHOOTERS BLOSSOMS
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    If if is banana oil, am told that in aerosol form banana oil is a narcotic (can't vouch for the validity however). Do like the smell of #9 however!
    1Shirt!
    You're thinking of Bananadine , the Berkley Barb prank that never died .

Boolit Master

The smell of Ballistol is enough to gag a maggot.
    If I get a whiff of it, it makes me want to puke.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Confirmed, aroma therapy. Back in the late sixties and early seventies when I was a kid, my father every two months or so would load me up and off we went. We had about ten descent shops in the county and two Army/Navy stores. We would spend most the day hitting all from one end to the other. I can still smell the MRT from the canvas bins, the dusty boxes of used cop leather, the smell of a whole wall of new firearms. I believe many of us know of this sensation / feeling. The days I spent shooting and hunting with dad were always finished with #9, " your not eating or getting cleaned up until that weapon is clean"- yes sir- over, and closing with present arms and inspection. The candle idea is a great one, Holy Black, Rimfire, #9,WWll corrosive bore cleaner as a
    gag gift. Thanks for the memory ride. Gtek

Boolit Man
    Shortly after our wedding, my wife thought it was an aphrodisiac!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of those air fresheners in the jeep, doesn't last long, have to add a couple of drops every week.

Boolit Buddy
    "Sniffing Hoppe's #9"

No wonder you guys are always smiling!

Boolit Master

I like the way Kroil smells better. Also how it cleans better.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Make it a mans cologne. I will wear it.And for a sporty cologne GI bore cleaner vintage Ww II
    Yup! It smells like victory. Wimmin are drawn to the smell of victory!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Oh YES, Hoppies #9 YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I also remember the smell of the fired paper shotshell loads from when I was a kid, back in the late 40s early 50s.

My cork gun fired another load, so always needed to pick up dad's fired hulls!

Funny that cork gun seemed so big back then, but in an old photograph in which my father and some friends are standing around a 40s model car with deer on the fenders and on the ground, I'm also standing by my dad and that cork gun looks some small now.

Must be some trick of photography!

Funny I also don't recall a lot of sucess with that cork gun, but then what could I expect from a single shot.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

I can remember as a kid --I guess I was 8 or nine--
    that's over 60 years ago. My brother and I used Hoppies #9 to clean our B B guns.
    For some reason even back then we liked the smell.
    I can remember we took Cotton balls and wet them with it and placed a few around
    in our bedroom.
    There are many new gun cleaners on the market now but I still purchase Hoppies.
    It's like it would be wrong not to have a couple of bottles of it, and sides it still does a good job.
    In some small way I guess it brings me back to a simpler time when I was a kid.
    I Liked those day's as a young in growing up. Life was simple then, now days it seems to get away from me sometimes.
    OH well good old Hoppies #9--I guess that's what we were talkin bout EH....
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer the aroma of EEzox!

Boolit Buddy
    Sad thing is that unless we save some of the old stuff our kids and grandkids will never know what the old stuff smelled like. The new Hoppe's just isn't the same ....close but no cigar. I think I have a quart of the old stuff still. I think I'll save it for the grandsons and only use it when they're around. Good thread and a reminder of the good times.................

In Remembrance
    Definitely memories of happy times in my younger days. Dad would spread his newspapers out on the kitchen table and we'd go to cleaning up the .22s--an old Sears .22LR made, I think, by Stevens (?). And then there was the Ruger Single-Six, and then finally, the Ruger Blackhawk.

Hoppes #9, the smell of 22LR ammo lighting off. . . just something very right, very pure, very wholesome about it. Brings back incredibly powerful, vivid memories and erases the years in a flash.

Likewise, G96 takes me instantly back to the USMS days as I kept several cans in the office and was forever cleaning the guns--and my old wooden desk--with it.

Love Potion No. 9 ..
    The only one of my set of gun oils and cleaning solution that SWMBO do not object to the smell.