Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Paper Patch Bullet Project--Help?

Boolit Bub

Paper Patch Bullet Project--Help?

Several years ago I bought a Ruger No.1 rifle that had been changed into a Wells 510 Mag (Weatherby .460 Magnum necked up to .509). There was a 50 caliber paper patch mould with the gun as well as dies bullet seizer etc. I thought I would just use black powder and paper patched bullets. Just weighed the bullets and they cast out about 550 grs. I suspect that a 510 case full of 3f behind a 550 bullet is going to kick more than I want. I would like to find a paper patch mould for either a 38—55 or 30-06. Can anyone tell me where to look for moulds?

Boolit Master
    NEI shows both.

river-rider you might want to use 2FF powder in a cartridge that big.
    Good luck Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

I would use 2F
    I would think 3F would be to fine

I would try a few
    In my 50 cal in line I shoot a 450 Gr slug , pushed by 120 gr ( volume) of 777 and imo it is a easy load to shoot
    I have used 150 gr , that is a little less fun to shoot
    Not sure if the 460 case holds more

But your #1 weighs more

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Super Moderator

...........river-rider, welcome to the board. So far as your 510 Wells goes, you certainly do not have to fill the case plumb full of BP. If it is a straight sided case you can back down the powder charge and use a combination of wads and fillers to soak up some of that volumn. You can also use Swiss 1-1/2 or 1 Fg powder. I don't know if GOEX has upgraded their 1Fg to the point where it would be useable. The last 1Fg Goex I had was like the dregs out of a bag of BBQ charcoal and it fouled like crazy. But that was 5-6 years ago.

If the load data for that round calls for a medium fast powder you might also go to a much slower powder in a reduced charge under a solid type filler. Again if it's a straight case or very small shouldered case.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

That .510 Wells is a near copy of my 500A Square , there is a slight shoulder but not much.
    I have shot cast in mine almost exclusively since losing my mind once and buying some Woodleigh's. I also acquired some pulled Military 647gr for grins.

I have a 1-14 Twist Pac Nor barrel and with cast until my supply of H 870 runs dry I take a snow shovel and toss 110grs in the case for a starting load with cast.
    The Wells and the A Square are ample for serious fun.
    My trio of fifty's.. the 50-70,50 Alaskan and the 500 A2.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com