Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Good boolit for marlin 1894 357 Magnum?

Boolit Buddy

Good boolit for marlin 1894 357 Magnum?

What would be the hammer of thor on Idaho whitetails with this caliber and gun? I like the idea a heavy boolit no matter what the caliber. Something flat pointed for sure.Thanks!

Boolit Master

There is a group buy that's still open, 180 grain cramer hollowpoint. It's just about to wrap up. Miha is doing the mould and he does excellent work.

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

NOE has some for sale.

Boolit Master
    Yuup... 180 - 200 grain flat point driven with 2400 powder. Kills hogs very well and almost always exits. Get em to the hardness of about straight wheel weights and drive em like a ferarri.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Ranch Dog had a real dandy 190-grain flat point .359" mold. "Hammer of Thor" would be a pretty accurate description of it in my opinion. I'd look that one up if I were you.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    That one in solid point form or the Saeco #354. Both weigh in around 185gr with GC. The Saeco is more apt to feed without issue as the meplat isn't as wide.

I've shot the Saeco to 300m with my old 1894c and 385m with my Browning LoWall over a healthy dose of H110.

Boolit Buddy

Am I correct in assuming I will need a gascheck for this rifle?

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Gas checks are an option. I would get the plain base. IMHO max loads will get you to 1600 fps +-. At that speed you shouldn' t need gas checks. I have the GC version of the NOE mold and wish it were PB.
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 04-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy

I am relieved to hear that. Trying to cut down on my start up expenses. I would be happy with 1600 fps, should kill quick anyways.

I would expect that a rifle length barrel would be able to give you more like 1700-1800fps from that cartridge if you go with a top load of a well matched powder.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I agree with the 180gr-200gr. choice.
    Think you will find the Saeco will feed easier, also I think you will find an accurate load a bit easier with the gas check design, as well as be able to use higher velocities. The Saeco 180 sil will retain velocity a bit better than a bigger medplat.
    If you find you want more of a DRT effect you can just HP a few for hunting.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the recomendations guys!

Boolit Master

I have this rifle and the NOE360180WFN mold. What load recommendations do people have?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

Quite frankly I recommend the 358156. Being a GC'd bullet you can cast them of a soft malleable alloy that will give good expansion in deer, pigs etc. They should come out, fully dressed, at close to 160 gr. From a 20" barrel you can push them to 1600 - 1750 fps with excellent accuracy. Penetration will be all that is desired in deer and pigs. That is my bullet of choice in the .357 Magnum for hunting with revolver, SS pistol or rifle. It gives the best balance of bullet weight and velocity. Very deadly at 1850 fps out of my .35 Remington also. I use an alloy of COWWs + 2% tin + 50% lead and AC the bullets. For smaller deer I HP the bullets 3/16" deep with a 1/8" Forster HP tool.

Larry Gibson

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    A microgroove 1894c will definitely want a GC if you're going to try to keep the velocity up.

Powders like WW296 or H110 should yield more velocity than 2400 is capable of at similar pressures.

Ranch Dog has data listed for his 175gr

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...oadnotes01.pdf

Loads with 185gr may require backing off from his 175gr data, but your rifle will tell you what it likes.

The previous owner of my 1894CP (16-1/2" ported) took several whitetails with the 358429 over 2400 and all were DRT, or so I'm told. That is a plainbase boolit, but that carbine has "Ballard rifling".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I have this rifle and the NOE360180WFN mold. What load recommendations do people have?
    Jim, I used the Data from Ranch dogs web site. 2400, H-110, 296, and Li'l Gun.

The 2400 did ok, but the ball powders did better in accuracy.

It was a toss up between the 3 ball powders, all three gave better results when I went to Small Rifle primers, the groups tightened right up. Please back up a few grains and re-work when you do this as the small rifle primers are hotter.

Li'l gun @ 16.1 grs

296 and H-110 @ 16.4 grs

#2 Alloy with Gas check sized to .3595 to .360 depending on how I look at the micrometer.

These loads also worked in my Early T/C 10" Slim BBL. It was more accurate than the Carbine but not by much at 50 yds.

With both weapons I was getting 1.5" @ 50 yds, the carbine was doing about 3" @ 100 yds. I was very happy with the lack of flyers.

Hope these work for you

Hank

Smile

I use a plain based 158 gr RNFP sized at .358" in my Marlin. My load is 13.5 gr AA#9 with a standard primer and gives me about 1775 FP with no leading. The bullet is from Dardas and has a BHN of 16-18
    Proper fit is far more critical than hardness when it comes to preventing leading. If you're looking to shoot a 180 gr at around 1600 FPS I see no reason why you would need a gascheck.
    GH1
    Last edited by GH1; 05-06-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: error

---------
    13.5gr 2400
    ---------
    SPP
    ---------
    38spl brass

Please mark brass so as to not get confused with regular 38spl ammo, these loads surpass the 357 garbage on store shelves today, and feed like greased lightning in the Marlin 357.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit