WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Savage .17 Hornet out yet?

Boolit Master

Savage .17 Hornet out yet?

I don't know why I so in lust for this caliber.. but I am! Is the model 25 in .17 Hornet actually out yet? I tried calling Savage but they are closed today for Good Friday! I have a Savage model 40 in .22 Hornet, was just out at the range with some Privi Partisan but it wasn't grouping well at all! I had a 3x9 power 'scope set at 9 power and was at 50 yards, from a rest, getting 1.5" groups.
    Last edited by trooperdan; 04-06-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: edit for spelling

Boolit Master
    Not yet, I gave up and have a 17 Fireball in the mail. Buddy has a 17 Fireball and you can watch the bullet hits through the scope.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I like the idea of the 17 Hornet round (I already have a 17Ackley Hornet in an Encore, (the rifle I am not overly keen on, but I like the round), but the Savage is such a plug ugly rifle I can't imagine buying one. I was determined to check it out when one came out and give it a fair trial, but I walked into the local gunshop today and they had a new Remington 700 SPS in 17Fireball on the shelf. I had always said, if I actually saw one on the shelf, I would have trouble leaving it there.

No doubt the Savages are a nice little rifle, but the fact that I already own SPSs in 270, 308 (Tactical) and 375H&H as well as a BDL in 300 Win mag made me reach into my pocket for a deposit.

I guess I will pass on the Savage now. Anyone want to buy an Encore? lol. No good, I live in Australia, so I will have to sell it locally. It is Autumn (Fall) here now, my wife has ordered some fox skins for her, her daughter and her friends. Best be dusting the whistle off and sharpening the knife.

The ammo is impressively expensive though! Close your eyes and pay the man sort of thing. if I buy a box of 200, I get a pretty decent discount, but it is still a lot of money.

UPDATE: My mate has offered me 200 x 221FB cases for a pretty reasonable price. I am under the impression that the new case has a much longer neck I wonder if they will neck down? I Googled it but didn't find much. I will start this as a new thread in the appropriate forum.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 04-10-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

i'm loving the idea of this round. is it planned for any other rifles? not that i have anything against the Savage 25.

the Savage is such a plug ugly rifle I can't imagine what you mean by that. I have seven of them and the are all proud kings( I don't know what that means) Take a look at the ugly rifle I posted on here the Donaldson 250 ace now that's plug ugly."is that any thing like butt ugly??
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Longwood
    Hey Gandydancer,,
    If the dollar store sold gas,, it would probably be in little tiny bottles and be as outrageously expensive as bottled water.
    Holy hoohaa! Hope I never see the day!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    I don't know why I so in lust for this caliber.. but I am! Is the model 25 in .17 Hornet actually out yet? I tried calling Savage but they are closed today for Good Friday! I have a Savage model 40 in .22 Hornet, was just out at the range with some Privi Partisan but it wasn't grouping well at all! I had a 3x9 power 'scope set at 9 power and was at 50 yards, from a rest, getting 1.5" groups.
    I've been enamored of the 17 AH since I first read ackleys books.... Never had one though. Honestly, I wish though they had done it on a 5.7 cartridge or such instead of the hornet if they were going to make it a factory cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    the Savage is such a plug ugly rifle I can't imagine what you mean by that. I have seven of them and the are all proud kings( I don't know what that means) Take a look at the ugly rifle I posted on here the Donaldson 250 ace now that's plug ugly."is that any thing like butt ugly??
    The rifle is a solid performer, like all Savage rifles, but I am not fond of the silly looking long bolt which extends way back past the bolt handle. Just looks a bit unbalanced is all.

Having said that, if one had hit the local gun store before the 700SPS in 17Remington Fireball that I just bought, I would have bought it.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."