RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: what are scrap yard paying

Boolit Master

what are scrap yard paying

i tried to get some ww's from a tire shop and they claim they can get .50 cents a pound for raw ww's at the scrap yard does this sound like the going rate thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    i tried to get some ww's from a tire shop and they claim they can get .50 cents a pound for raw ww's at the scrap yard does this sound like the going rate thanks
    here in northern michigan the scrap yards will give .25 a lbs for wheel weights i wont give tire shops that, i offer .20 figuring they dont have to load them, haul them nothing

Boolit Master
    the issue is not the scrapyards, at least not here. Our problem is the WW suppliers are now requiring a 90% exchange of old for new at the tire shops. Or at least trying to.

Rich

Boolit Master

Waco, Texas: the big scrapyard here is paying 19 cents a lb. Of course the local tire places quote retail lead value in ingot form when you ask them "How much for that bucket of wheel weights?"
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

It's hard enough to find WWs around here. I have a standing offer that I split the difference between what the local scrapper pays for WWs and what they charge to sell you WWs. I get them for less, the seller makes more, we all end up happy and I've yet to run out of lead.

Boolit Master

Ours is selling them for .30 per pound.

Really depends on the local market for wheelweights in my experience.

When I was hunting for WW's at scrapyards a couple years ago, they wanted close to spot price (around $.70) for WW's if you were buying and would offer $.20/lb if you were selling.

Boolit Master

Scrap yard here will give 15 cents if you are selling, charges 80 cents if your buying.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

In Remembrance
    Scrap yard here charges .20Lb to buy. I really need to find another in town that just opened up and say HI.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    They are paying 20¢/lb here as of last week.

Boolit Bub

lead

scrap prices here is .40 a lb

I went to the yard one time and bought about over 700lbs of soft lead and they put the WW in for nothing. I talk the person into it and told me if I want more soft lead to come right back . I know I could do it again with them as long I have the money to do it. But I do not know how much it gose for now . Just wanted to give some one a idea if they try that way of buying lead . As for the WW there where about 64lbs of it that I got and there was only about 4 ww that was zinc. And there was a peace of wht look like soft lead was zinc also but I still came out ahead and soft lead at the time was going for .32 lb that was a few years back
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Rates are going to vary by region and yard to yard. But there are no yards by me that pay more than $.20 per pound to buy. Sounds like the shop was trying to get you to offer more than $.50 Which may not be a bad deal if they don't want to much more.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master
    I know a guy that works in a scrap yard in SoCal. He said they buy wheel weights for 19 cents a pound and clean lead for 45 cents per pound. He didn't know what they would sell for.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Local scrapper buying lead...any kind...for .15/lb. and selling it for .90/lb....I'm in the wrong end of this business.

I know, because I finally stooped to (caved in) rummaging through his 55 gal. barrel and pulled out 42 lbs. of wheel weights, sinkers, battery cable ends, etc. It's gettin' tight around here!

Still, for the $37 it cost me I figured I could make around 1200 45acp boolits....not free or cheap, but still awfully reasonable.