Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 7.7 Jap load using Ideal 314299 and which powder?

Boolit Mold

7.7 Jap load using Ideal 314299 and which powder?

I have a ideal mold 314299, which drops a 200 grain bullet if what I was told is correct. I would like to use this mold and size it to .312 for a type 99 Arisaka that I have.

I have access to WC 844 Pull Down - (Cross reference loading data for H335) and WC 846 - (Cross reference loading data BLC-2 or WIN 748)

Trying to see if either of these powders would be good for a mild starting load for the 7.7 jap. I know the WC844 using the H335 data would be good for a 180 gr bullet but I cant find data for a 200 grain bullet, let alone a lead, gas checked bullet.

Opinions??

If this boolit shouldnt be used could somone lead me to one that can be used.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    The 314299 may work just fine ? ?

I'd rather bet on 16.0 - 17.0 grs. of 2400 for what you are wanting to do vs. the ball powders you've listed.

A lot of reloaders shy away from reduced loads of ball powder in rifle cases.

Have you slugged your bore ?

Jap rifles are all over the place on the diameters of their bores ( .311" - 317 " ) .

Ben

In Remembrance

If you do load #314299, don't size it below .314" if you can avoid it. Most 7.7 Jap rifles have large throats and bore diameters are all over the place. You can use either WC844 or WC846 if you aim for velocities around 1600-1800 fps.

The good news with the 7.7 Arisaka is that it, the .303 British, 7.62X54R and the 7.62x39 all share the same bullet diameter. What I've found handy is to have a bullet mold of each so no matter what your alloy is, you can get varying weights to better suit the load and bullet grain you want.

Also using the the next step down in bullet sizes helps for reload data. I think the 7.62x54R is the next closest. There should be plenty of load info for that cartridge.

Although not the same bullet diameter, 8mm Mauser (7.92x57) loads should also be very close.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on leaving the 314299 at .314 or "as cast for the 7.7 Jap. I suggest 28, 29 or 30 gr H4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler. If the bullet "fits" it will shoot very well with that combination.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info everyone, will hopefully slug the bore soon and actually find out what this thing is looking like.

At this point I have 8 lbs of WC844 so I am trying to get a load set up with that, rather than try and stock another powder. Figure a new mold is cheaper in the long run than purchasing another 8 lbs of powder. Maybe buy one with a lighter boolit.

thanks again

Banned

i'm betting you find a big throat.
    i use the lyman loverign in mine over 18 grs of 2400 right now.
    the 314 may work.
    i'm still trying to figure the 314 out on my argie, before i bother with the 7.7

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I never had much luck with my Arisakas with cast. One slugs at .313 and my .314 Lyman should do just fine; the other slugs at .316 and I use a sized down .318 8mm bullet. Neither is really great and believe me I've tried. I think it has something to do with the metford style rifling. I've been told a really HARD bullet works best in these- pure lino or close to it.

Then again I've not tried 846 or 844. Let us know how it works.