Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff's random thought of the day # 2.

Boolit Grand Master

Glen is right.

I had a friend that was working on an "Artificial Intelligence" project. I warned him to beware
    of the side effects. He asked "What side effects?"

I said,"Well by the law of Conservation of Stupidity, for every unit of Artificial Intelligence
    created, an equal quantity of Artificial Stupidity would be created, and this could lead to
    local buildups of stupidity, which could be very unpleasant."

Perhaps someone near the airport is working on Artificial Intelligence.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

here is a movie I just loved to hate...or is that hated to love.
    it seems more true than satirical.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    When I got to my first real tank platoon in the pickle suit Army my platoon sargent was "orientating" me to his platoon. During the course of the intruduction to "Daddy Popes" Army he kindly let me know I should never be far from my own personal coffee cup and except for the company area & motor pool my spoon was to be proudly displayed in the left pocket hole ready for service. "Never pass up any bite of hot chow or the drinking of liquids in my Army"... fine admonishings from a long time treadhead.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Guess I've got to be the odd man out. Yup there are a few kids out there that just don't get it and never will. I grew up with kids just like them 50 years ago. There are also a ton of good kids out there. I know several young couples in their late twenties that are raising nice families. Parents have manners, kids have manners, kids are taught the basics at a young age and know how to count and read far younger than we did. Most of them will be alright in the long run. My wife is in banking and has high school aged part time tellers that have far better instincts than some of the full time 40 year olds she works with. They can smell a bad check etc. as the people are coming through the door to cash them. There's a lot of hope out there. We tend to overlook the good ones as we only remember the pain of the bad ones.

BTW I do a little Prairie Doggin' and Antelope hunting in South Dakota. Don't know why but kids out there in restaurants count your change back to you "backwards" like we were taught to do. When I commented on it to one of them she said that she thought everybody counted change back that way. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Buddy
    So Jeff, what color was her eyes ?

Boolit Master

And then try to tell them a quarter is two bits--- just look deep into their eyes and you see question marks running off into forever !!!
    Was at the bank a week ago , had a handfull of small bills , gave them to one of the younger cashiers and asked for a "C" note--- there went those eyes again.
    Am not even going to bring up the subject of what a sawbuck might be !!!!!!

Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Yes, well---Our slang i.e. "two bits, "C' note or sawbuck" to them is about the same as us trying to interpert one of those dumb text messages! To each generation it's own! Have a great day!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockydog View Post
    There are also a ton of good kids out there. I know several young couples in their late twenties that are raising nice families. Parents have manners, kids have manners, kids are taught the basics at a young age and know how to count and read far younger than we did. RD
    We have a bunch of them here too, and every single one of them is HOME SCHOOLED

Boolit Grand Master

Great point about the good ones. It is much more memorable when someone is an idiot
    than when someone does a normal good job because most do a good job.

Lots of good young people, for sure. But there still are some knuckleheads.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I miss having my change counted back to me! Now if you use cash, the change usually just come squirting out of a machine. Or if it is handed to you, it is dumped into your hand in one bunch.

Boolit Master
    Morning to ya Jeff. Flumoxed? Sounds like a word we need to introduce here.
    I know how it is with the young kids and math. The are allowed to use calculators (or so I've heard) in school today. So, when it comes to the old fashioned way, they get a little flustered (flumoxed?). Case in point, a local Burger King (do you have them?) had a computer breakdown and the girl could not make change for me. I learned that the cash register did not even have digits but icons of the food items. Everything was done by the 'puter' she said.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

In Remembrance
    I don't think kids are allowed to use a calculator in school, I think they are required to.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    THERE IS 1 MATH TEACHER WHO IS A VOICE CRYING IN THE WILDERNESS.
    Me .
    And I get a lot of hate & discontent. They are giving the kids calculators in the 4th grade now.

Boolit Master

Y'all just remember how stupid they are next time you need help figuring out your computers and the like. (Said to those it applies to, if it's not you, ignore it.)

They aren't dumber, they just have placed emphasis on different sections of learning.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master

No - they're definitely dumber
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I had a gaggle of teens in here last summer and as one would expect , half were texting . Looking for an icebreaker ,I asked the goofiest and gangliest one "you aint tweetin' are ya ?" , which he vehemently denied . In fact , he protested a bit too greatly .His buddies picked up on this moment of weakness and went to work on him ,questioning his sexuality , lack of experience , etc . Typical guy stuff .

Having given them something to do I went to work selling the ringleader his sundries and upon closing and returning the correct amount of change he leans in with this big grin and says .

"Cool t shirt ......... Is that Yuri Gagarin ? "

"NO youesotericlittleSOB .....it's George PATTON..........yeaaaaah..I like you !" Pointing an accusatory finger at his nose and grinning right back . The rest of his crew were completely oblivious as to what had just transpired .

We got along famously. He's the atypical non-texter . Always fixing something .

Boolit Master
    We will lean on technology too much and it will bite us in the **** someday.
    The 'box' is selling us commercials now for our computers to do our typing and spelling (Dragon software). Next it will be it reading for us, then we will forget entirely. This stuff is great for the blind, but dulls our skills. I never used to have trouble with my multiplication tables, but I do now.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Morning to ya Jeff. Flumoxed? Sounds like a word we need to introduce here.
    I know how it is with the young kids and math. The are allowed to use calculators (or so I've heard) in school today. So, when it comes to the old fashioned way, they get a little flustered (flumoxed?). Case in point, a local Burger King (do you have them?) had a computer breakdown and the girl could not make change for me. I learned that the cash register did not even have digits but icons of the food items. Everything was done by the 'puter' she said.
    I thought "Flumoxed" was what you did to your lead pot?

Boolit Master
    in today's America, teachers are afraid to damage children's self esteem by making them think very often or very hard...

Feeling good about yourself, whether there is any real reason to do so is the most important task teachers face.

Rich
    even in Idaho

Well, they're getting worse.

Today I tested the water some more. Miserable failure is all I have report. As the coffee is $3.60 and I had a $5.00 note I took 3 x 20 cent pieces so I could tender $5.60 for a $2.00 coin change. Simple right. My work mate Vanessa told me I was courting disaster. Turns out 'Ness is a very astute young lady.

The noob on the kiosk first asks ME what cup size I have and what discount applies. She puts in the wrong cup size and tries to charge me $4.00. Stop, try again.

Cup size correct; check.
    Discount correct; check.
    Change; $2.10 for a $3.60 purchase from $5.60 tendered. Wrong.......

Coffee gets made. Hands me my cup with a Latte. I ordered a Flat white (no, that is not a KKK member run down by a truck.)

Cup goes back for correct coffee. Barista hands me a flat white; check......in a takeaway cup. Where is my refillable asks me?

Eventually I get me coffee and leave laughing. Laugh or cry.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.