Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Chronograph shielding

Boolit Buddy

Chronograph shielding

Does any one have any good suggestions about building a shield for chronograph screens? Several weeks ago someone mentioned gas checks striking chronograph screens and the need to shield the screens. There was much discussion about getting the gas checks to grip the boolit better, but very little about shielding your chronograph. I'm new to this chronograph thing, and would like to fabricate a shield before I damage my new chronograph.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, unburned powder will eat holes thru 'em too.
    So will a patch!!

1/4" clear plexiglas works fairly well.

Best thing you can do with a Chrony BEFORE it's wrecked.
    Is get wooden dowel rods 4'@ .dime each. Cut new sticks and use those metal rods for something else. Hit one and it'll scramble the system.

None of these things are covered under THEIR sorry fkg' warranty either.

Patch hit mine, shipped it in on instructions. Three months later "rec'd. $85"

"return it, short on funds now", never heard from them again.

I'll never buy another Chrony product, ever!!
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

If you use the CED chronograph the LED is not an integral part of the chronograph so the brains of the system is out of harms way.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Sometime in the distant past I bought a bundle of bamboo sticks that I think were sold as shishkabob skewers, and have been using them ever since on my Chrony. And wouldn't ya know it? I've never hit one.

Having boasted like that, it'll probably happen this weekend!

Chronograph Shield

I had a local glass shop cut a 18" x 24" piece of 1/4" Lexan and route out a pattern in the center. I attach it to the tripod which holds my CED with a bracket fashioned out of 1/2" pvc pipe.
    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If you use the CED chronograph the LED is not an integral part of the chronograph so the brains of the system is out of harms way.

That's why I like my Pact. Have only had to replace the detector housing once - and the reason wasn't my doin'.

Boolit Master

I got some scrap lexan (softer but shatterproof, it will sctratch easier than plexiglass, but plexiglass will break easily), 1/4" thick from the glass company. I cut it out on a band saw to the correct width, but long. Take a torch (very carefully) or a heat gun and heat it until it is soft, bend to shape. Mine have been in use for many years.

I am shooting with muzzle loaders and black powder, also BPCR. Both have wads of one form or the other and can take out readouts. Also black powder mess. My unit is still clean and in perfect shape.

I use small dowels to hold the screens in place instead of the steel pins that came with it. Made mine a bit longer than originals.
    Gus

Moderator Emeritus

McDonalds soda straws work well for screen holders. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I made a Lexan front guard for mine as well. It mounts to the front skyscreen rods. (A chrony Beta) I was tired of lending it to my brother to tweak His paintball guns only to get it back in funky bright color splatter. Typically I will not lend it out anymore. My first Pro Chrono got a .223 straight through it by a friend that said "I probably should have bore sighted before checking velocity" (He did pay me the $$$ for fixing it.) After I bought the Chrony another friend borrowed it and I told Him about the first Guy shooting my pro chrono, and we had a good laugh. He brought it back with 2 skyscreen rods shot off. I now go to the range with it when someone wants to use it.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a plywood board with a leg tied on each side to prop it up. Also shades the front "eye" to eliminate weird results in the bright Nevada sun (use a piece of cardboard to shade the rear "eye". Can't read the window until I record data (home converted Alpha) but the embedded gas checks haven't penetrated the board yet.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Not needing transparent screen protectors for my Oehler 34, I made screen protectors from aluminum big enough to cover the skyscreens and !" above them.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy

A piece of angle iron welded to a plate/channel, or whatever you have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O View Post
    A piece of angle iron welded to a plate/channel, or whatever you have.

That sure does look boolit-proof !
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Ken O,

That looks great! My Chrony isn't a Master though. so the display is in the front and would be blocked. I may send it back to have it converted. Then I can tell everyone I have the Master-Beta, and that cracks me up. (although Chrony has since changed the name to Beta-Master) but after havind 2 chronographs shot i'll have to do something. (even if it's just to stop lending it out!)
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Sunndog...just get a printer for your chrony and you will be good to go, as the printer prints your velocities as they are shot!

JR
    Member Migigan Gun Owners www.MiGunowners.org
    NRA member NRA R/O
    IDPA member
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Member Linden Sportsmens Club Linden,MI
    Member Detroit Sportsmans Congress Utica,MI