RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Causes this?

What Causes this?

I'm afraid I know, but I'm shopping for answers.

This is the Mihec #68 Clone. I shot thousands of the lazercast version without an issue. I loaded those Lazercast to the recommended COL. I shortened these up a bit because they were occaisionally headspacing on the WC lip ( at leaset that is what i was thinking happened).

Sig P220
    Sized to .4525 lubed with Felix
    Loaded with 5.2 grains of W231, WLP primer, mixed cases.

I am afraid that these are just too big for my chamber and that shortening them up caused this misfeed. I made 3000 of them.

So, tell me I am wrong and there is an easy solution to this.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master

I know you shortened them, did you adjust your taper crimp. They almost look like still have flare but it could just be the pic.

Boolit Grand Master
    The case mouth was dinged on something. those cases are toast.
    You need to look at your loading technique and see what the mouths hit to fold them back like that.

the taper crimp looks good, and the cases are dinged in the feeding of the round.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Field strip the gun and check the barrel...something is catching the case mouth? Not likely, but easy to check.

Use a micrometer on the loaded ammo and adjust the taper crimp accordingly. You've heard all the "45s headspace off the extractor/case mouth" theories. Maybe you need to size the boolits a hair smaller/larger? Or harder alloy?

I'd be inclined to LENGTHEN the over all length...a little boolit lip sticking out maybe...do you have one of the DILLON case length gauges? I had a lot of wasted time trying to adjust crimps to work WITHOUT full moon clips in a couple of S&W 625s years ago...said the h*** with it and stuck to using the moon clips. I bought a RUGER 45 Convertible last year, so I'm back to working on "the perfect crimp" again...hopefully I've learned some tricks in the ensuing years and will get better results.

My S&W 645s would eat d*** near anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, I did have a similar problem long, long ago loading for a guys Sig. Cases looked the same. Shorter rounds were worse.
    Seated longer the slide may hit the bullet but won't create a bulge that won't chamber. The slide is hitting the mouth of the case and this is the end result.

Boolit Master

Try a little more crimp on a few. Accuracy may suck, but maybe they'll feed?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be inclined to seat the boolits a little further out in the case, sort of ease the transition into the chamber rather than an abrupt shelf of the swc to hang up on.

Banned

if i were to seat short like i do for my norinco 1911 i'd use a slight [bump-kiss] roll crimp over the front band like i do for my norinco 1911.
    they glide into the 625 nicely too.
    i use the taper crimp for the auto ordinance and the ruger b-hawk.

Boolit Grand Master

File off the offending metal and try putting it in the barrel by hand. If it is a snug fit try more taper crimp until it will enter the chamber easily.
    I had a 1911 that did that with boolits over .4515". I also had to seat the boolits similar to what you have done.

Boolit Master
    too short. go as long as you can, use the 'plunk test' and they should feed much better.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Grand Master

Did that happen during seating the bullets or during feeding in the P220?

Larry Gibson

They were damaged feeding in the gun Larry. Hitting the slide i think. I am sure that it is a length issue. In trying to fix one problem I caused another. I think i just need to size down another 1000th and make em thecorrect length. Dangit. I was having so much fun making them that I didnt check to see if they chambered in this sig. Like I mentioned they fed great in the taurus. Runfive had a good suggestion with a small kiss crimp. I did test these by dropping them in the chamber and they fit. Some of em were tight when i had them longer. So I just got ahead of myself. Hopefully these suggestions will let me shoot those i already made.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Whatever is doing that to the case mouths ought to have brass marks on it.

This is what I get out of my 220 with a Lee TL mould.

I think when a fired case is being extracted, it catches on the top cartridge in the mag.

Does this ever happen on the first cartridge chambered?
    Mine doesn't.

I haven't tried 68's yet.
    I gave up on these for a while. Will go back to them or 68's sometime in the future.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad decisions make good stories.

Wow. Exactly the same mark XR! Now Im puzzled. Wouldn't have ecpected that with a round nose bullet. Hmmm. I bet it is the ejected case. Hadn't thought of that either.
    Last edited by mpbarry1; 03-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

I think the barrel tipping up has a lot to do with this. Giving the brass more angle to catch on the lip of the boolit.
    1911's don't seem to have this problem. Does the barrel tip on a 1911? Never played with one.

I was wondering if the 68's would work better as there is a radius instead of an abrupt shoulder like the lee. I think you may have answered my question on this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad decisions make good stories.

Boolit Master
    no, this has nothing to do with the action of the barrel. This is due to the spent brass hanging on the rim of the next in line. It happens with semi-wadcutter style boolit shapes, slides with no wedge near the breach face (along the under lug), combined with too short OAL. If your chamber will permitt, try longer OALs to give the spent case something to slide over.

This is the same exact issue that regular (original) XD-45s have with SWCs.

Test my theory. Place an empty case into the chamber and a short, dummy round in the magazine. Slowly extract the spent brass and watch for the hangup. Also, pull your slide and see if there's a tiny ramp below the breech face on the under lug.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

I am rethinking my original hypothesis Now.

Those lazercast bullets that i shot so many of are really hard. If that ejecting round was damaging the lead in those bullets that were seeded further out it would explain what I thought was the round head spacing on the WC lip. My boolits are air cooled WW presumably much softer than the commercial ones. I will check it out and report back.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

Seat boolit out, headspace on boolit in rifling, roll crimp some?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!