RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: lube recipe recomendations

Boolit Bub

lube recipe recomendations

Looking for a harder lube recipe for bullets. i want it to be a little harder so that its not messy, not really worried about a heater, i will probably buy/make one for my lyman 450...i load for 9mm and 44 mag. i have a good recipe for the 9mm but doesnt seem to work so well in the 44 but i have not tested it a whole lot. anyone got some good recipes that would possibly work for both? just looking for a more solid lube cause im tired of the lube i have now, its a lil messy

Boolit Master
    What recipe are you using now? Perhaps we can suggest a few changes to it so that it will do what you want. You say it doesn't work well in the 44 Mag. What is it doing that you don't like and what would you like it to do that it isn't?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

There all a little messy, its just a matter of degree. Not knowing what you are currently using makes it difficult to suggest what changes may need to be made.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

a good lube should have some slickness and tackyness to it.
    you can take it out, but you will most likely also decrease it's effectiveness.
    if the mess is due to the lube sweating out of the carrier then a binder is in order.
    adding sodium stearate will usually act as a binder [add some slick to the lube too] and firm it up all at one time.
    adding lithium stearate will add slick [it adds a small amount of binding too, to some carrier/lube combo's] but will generally soften a lube.

Boolit Bub
    its a mixture of beeswax, parafin and vasaline.. not sure what exactly the rate was.

Boolit Master

Beeswax & Vaseline 50/50 or 60/40 with 2 ounces of Carnauba wax per lb. You can adjust this recipe easily. To harden add a little Paraffin or more beeswax to it...I keep clear of much paraffin because it is not as good a lube as beeswax. You have to adjust your own hardness for your application. Keep temps below 160 Degs F. using a double boiler.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy some BAC. It's not really that spendy.

Larry Gibson