RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Doomsday preppers...

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta go along with Bret, about not putting myself on the tube if I were a preeper or what ever you want to call them. Believe in having at least a months food supply on hand, probably have that at all times on a full ration basis. In a pinch it would do for 2 months. Water supply in the city might be a big problem, and having numerous containers to store water for drinking/cooking would be a plus. Also in the city, having enough arms and ammo to supply the neighboors on a neighboorhood watch basis would be good.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

After perusing some of the youtube vids about how to cook with a dutch oven, I dug out the one I bought 5 years ago to smelt lead. Got it at harbor freight, never used it for lead, a friend gave me one he'd been using for making jigs and sinkers.

Anyhow, the D-O has become my preferred method of cooking. It's so easy to drop a pork roast, stew meat, whole chicken, or a small turkey into it. I place it inside my charbroiler grill, set it on the grate on top of a bed of charcoal. Then place a layer of charcoal on the lid. Filled about half way to the top with water and whatever veggies you want to have with it. I use a bunch of chopped up onions, green beans, celery, carrots and sometimes cabbage or cauliflower. Be sure to wait on the cabbage and cauliflower until the last ˝ hour of cooking time.(Otherwise it'll disappear).

You can use one like any pot suspended above a fire. Also if you have a good fire going long enough to produce a bed of live embers, you can cook directly on them with some on the lid.

I recently bought a small propane grill made by Coleman. It folds up to make a small package and has a nylon pouch to carry it with. The one pound cylinder has it's own pouch that's integral with the main pouch. Very compact and not too heavy.

I have a Coleman lantern that also runs off of a 1# bottle. So that's heat, light, and a way of cooking with natural gas or electricity.

I keep two 20 pound cylinders full, with a third that I'm using for my smelter. I also have a heater that goes right on top of the 20# tank. Another neat little addition is an adapter that fills the one pounders off the big tank.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance
    I quit using the one pounders on my stove and even lanterns, if I'm in camp. I have been using the leg that screws on a 20 pound bottle, my cook lantern screws on top of that and a hose goes to my stove and sometimes another one goes to the fish fryer. This works good for the kitchen setup in camp for me. I usually have another lantern with the one pound bottle that can be hung above the card table or carried around. This was camping in NM, here we have no need for lanterns in the summer time.

Boolit Man
    Here's an update "Doomsday Prepper Declared Mentally Defective"
    Be careful what you say on national television....

In Remembrance
    Not just on tv. I read a news article just in the last day or two, that outlined the govt having a contractor that keeps track of what we say on the web. They are looking for anything said disparaging the govt or homeland security mainly, but also keep track of any comments against any of the govt agencys. Storing food is one of the things the govt has decided a terrorist does, the same with guns and ammo. I have never seen a definition of what they consider excessive.

Boolit Master
    it reminds me of why I moved from Nazi Illinois to Idaho in 1978. Remember Jimmy Carter and the 17% Prime Rate? I still do.

The LDS people have the right idea. The funny thing, two out of the three Class II and III dealers in my area are good LDS folks. Ain't that an amazing coincidence?

Rich
    Prepper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Brand View Post
    Here's an update "Doomsday Prepper Declared Mentally Defective"
    Be careful what you say on national television....
    Or do on it. One guy blew his thumb off on TV. . He's such a smarty pants that hes designed the "ultimate survival shovel" even though it was a curved head, fixed handle, a bottle opener, paracord, and a "spike". Hey genius did you talk with anyone from a FOB in afghan? They'd say make it a shield head and folding for thier pouch, drop the bottle opener for an lug nut or ar-15 barrel wrench and a hydrant/gas valve as per the SPAX, replace the spike with a storable saw blade like the glock tool. You can still gee-wiz the handle with 550 cord if you must, just make the damn thing fold!