Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 should I do it??

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    LOL that is almost identical to my first reloading setup right down to the unique and counter color! After a few years fighting a pro 1000 I have given up priming on it paticularly for LP rounds. Although the case feeder works like a champ for me? I fill the case feeder and run the brass through to deprime and size with no other dies in and prime by hand with a hand primer. Then reload the feeder switch out the head charge cases and seat boolits. Everyone will have different results butforme the priming wasnot reliable enough or worth the PITA. YMMV
    If you are new to this hobby and begin to have failures where the round does not fire on first primer strike but doeson the second or third time then you may not be getting the primers in properly. Doing it by hand you can feel the squish or crunch when the primer is set properly. I can prolly load 150 an hour my way BUT they all fire the first time I pull the trigger and after a while I learned that speed wasn't as important as good ammo. As I said good luck and YMMV.

Take care Nate
    I believe I need the small case feed block, I bought the .38 spl setup mainly for the dies.
    I started loading 9mm and the case did not clear the block so the next case would not let the block slide forward, the main problem I had was getting the primer tray loaded into the chute because the primers would all clog up at the mouth of the chute.
    I am 2-3 years experienced with a single stage and hand priming I just wanted to speed things up.
    Overall I am happy with it but I have only had one session so we will see, I think it will be what I was hoping for.
    I have a much larger/nicer bench right across from this one with a single stage press and a posness warren shotshell reloading press mounted to it, I needed to build this one so I still had room to work on the guns.

On my case feeder I don't change the the block that slides the case in. The .38 setup should work fine for the 9 mm as its the same case feeder. The block that slides in and out has 2 holes where the wire mech goes in if you are haveing trouble disregard the destructions and try the other hole also maybe flip the mech rod end for end and I had to put a tweak in the rod. IIRC the hole closer to the press is the one I use. It's funny some hate the case feeder and mine works perfectly on both my pro 1000s. Some people prime with em and I have terrible results.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00142.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	41411

OK I had to go look I modified it a few years ago the bend as you see stops it from hitting the round part that drops the cases and misaligning it. Also notice the .25" gap between the block and case dropper this gap if not there will require more bend in the linkage.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00142.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	41411

OK I had to go look I modified it a few years ago the bend as you see stops it from hitting the round part that drops the cases and misaligning it. Also notice the .25" gap between the block and case dropper this gap if not there will require more bend in the linkage.
    Yes this was happening too it would nock the Z-bar completely out.
    I will try to modify it and see if that helps

Boolit Buddy
    FYI the small case slider measures about 0.8" in height while the large case slider measures about 1.1" in height and the small case feeder has a drop tube extension compared to the large case feeder (for Z bar clearance.) Each piece has its optimal applications.
    You can remove the case feeder and feed your 9mm cases manually while you consider your options regarding parts and modifications.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    FYI the small case slider measures about 0.8" in height while the large case slider measures about 1.1" in height and the small case feeder has a drop tube extension compared to the large case feeder (for Z bar clearance.) Each piece has its optimal applications.
    You can remove the case feeder and feed your 9mm cases manually while you consider your options regarding parts and modifications.
    Thats what I did my first batch.

Boolit Mold

Lee/Dillon option

I have never owned the LEE. However, I have the Blue Press 550 and 6 changeovers with measures. I think I should have gotten the 650 as the 550 is slow. My 550 flips primers on their side during priming motion.I do hear that if you double clutch the 650, it's a little more work to clear it out. You never have to create an excuse for buying too much loader...it's like buying a Lamborghini instead of a minivan. Fast, and no room for the kids.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schuebob View Post
    I have never owned the LEE. However, I have the Blue Press 550 and 6 changeovers with measures. I think I should have gotten the 650 as the 550 is slow. My 550 flips primers on their side during priming motion.I do hear that if you double clutch the 650, it's a little more work to clear it out. You never have to create an excuse for buying too much loader...it's like buying a Lamborghini instead of a minivan. Fast, and no room for the kids.
    If it flips primers, the shuttle bar needs to be cleaned. If a primer flips, it is sticking somewhere in it's travels. Maybe we could start a thread on this issue?

I don't own the Lee they are talking about, but it is an interesting thread to see how to figure this out. It seems like it's getting complicated, but that could be me. I've always been fascinated with gravity feed case feeders. I don't care what a fellow owns but it's seems like a fine line between operator error or maybe manufacturer issue.

Bowing out on this thread and going into lurking mode to learn more.

r1kk1

I am amazed at how simple the gravity case feeder is, yet how well it works. My casefeeder is one of the things that I would miss if I upgraded presses. I want a LNL progressive or a 650 but I haven't wanted it enough to write a check yet.

Boolit Master

I just did a few days back - got tired of the Pro 1000 and ordered a LNL
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy

My case feed problem is the result of using the wrong block, I am going to do a run of 40 S&W this week and maybe some .38 spl so I will have a chance to try it with the case feeder