WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Just loaded 150rds of .44 WCF on single stage press

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Just loaded 150rds of .44 WCF on single stage press

That was alot of work. I am tempted to buy a Lee turrent press, but I don't know if their powder measure that mounts on the powder through expander die is going to work with blackpowder and pyrodex. I am also liking the drop tube on my Lyman 55 black powder measure.

These cartridges were made with the cast Lyman #427666 bullets over 33gr Pyrodex P in Winchester .44-40 brass and CCI large pistol primer.

Boolit Buddy

BW, that is a Colt Sheriff's Model chambered in .44-40 that I placed in front of the boxes for the picture.

Boolit Bub
    I don't know anything about Lee products and haven't loaded Blackpowder in 44/40's. But I did get real tired of loading smokeless 44/40's on a Rockchucker. After the third session, gave Dillion a call. New shellplate and powder thru expander for my old RL450b. Never looked back. Sooo much easier, producing a loaded round with each stroke of the handle. Easily tripled my old rate of production, taking my time to do things right. No need to rush. Even swapped out the Rockchucker for a pair of Lyman TMag's so I can leave my most used dies set up all the time in them. Just avoiding screwing dies in and out all the time is hard to appreciate until you don't have to do it anymore. I'm not a reloading speed demon, just like to avoid unnecessary work. More time shooting, less time loading. Same quality.

Boolit Master
    I really like the .44-40 cartridge loaded with 2F BP. It is underated by many people, but is accurate with a punch.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lee Turret

I have been using a Lee Turret to load my 44-40's for SASS since I had to sell my 550 for economic reasons.
    I am using my black powder measures on it with some parts from Dillon.
    All you need is the 450 powder die and the adapter sold by Dillon along with the correct powder funnel.
    They are both in the Blue Press magazine. This allows you to use your BP measures on any press that takes the standard 7/8 x14 thread size.
    I have mine set up on the second stage and I did reverse the handle so that it would clear the Lee primer set up. This primer set up works but makes me want my Dillon back.
    The cost is about $30 IIRC.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I load all my 44-40 BP rounds with my Dillon 550, using the Dillon powder measure. No problems so far in 6 years.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I have been using a Lee Powder measure on a Turret for years to load all my BP Cartridges for years work great.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Buddy

What about using a drop tube?

Boolit Master

Don't need a drop tube for regular 44-40 rounds.

Boolit Master

I clean my brass after I remove the used primers in a Thumbler tumbler with water, Dawn, Lemi shine and SS media.

Then I prime them by hand while watching tv.

Then I load the powder into the cases with a hand made brass and aluminum bp powder dispenser then then I check the 50 cases in the loading block with a strong flashlight to ensure uniformity of levels etc.

Then I place the powder filled case into my Lee Classic Turret press and I insert the overpowder wad. Then the boolit and I seat the boolit.

Crank the handle and give the boolit a decent crimp.

Remove the completed round and insert a newly powdered casing and repeat.

It is faster than a single stage press but not as fast as some of the above posted replies to your posting.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub

If you have the $$ you might want to skip the Turret and go directly to a progressive if you shoot a lot...

I used a Lee Turret for prob 5 years and got REAL tired of having to pull the lever 5 times to get just 1 loaded round (I always do a final resize on 44-40s, that way they ALWAYS fit the gun, hence 5 pulls).

I finally moved the whole operation to my Hornady LNL and now its just 2 pulls per round. I still use the Turret for a final resize..

Sure makes reloading a lot faster!
    NRA Life
    TSRA Life
    SASS