RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Dillon Square Deal Blue Bucket delete.

Dillon Square Deal Blue Bucket delete.

I deleted the swingy dangly bucket primer catch.

A drilled out .38 special case, two washers (to level out the bracket) and a length of tubing.

Those early Square Deals, without the Fail safe Powder Rod bracket, could be easily modified by using a piece of tin and a hand drill.

Boolit Mold
    Looks good. You should have gotten a patent you coulda been rich. Like when i drilled through the ram on my old lee press then welded the side drop up.

Boolit Master

I did something similar with mine and it';s musch better than the orginal little bucket.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    Awsum

I didn't kick the bucket but did get tired of breaking the little plastic ears off the factory one so I made new ones out of steel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post

A drilled out .38 special case, two washers (to level out the bracket) and a length of tubing.

Those early Square Deals, without the Fail safe Powder Rod bracket, could be easily modified by using a piece of tin and a hand drill.
    Very cool, I think that I will have to make a similar modification to my SDB. I have always wanted it to catch the primers like my Co-Ax press does....Thanks for sharing your idea.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I didn't kick the bucket but did get tired of breaking the little plastic ears off the factory one so I made new ones out of steel.

Great idea I have been fussing with the blue bucket for year and will take your advice and make one out of steel. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Johnny Cyclone!!
    After breaking off 4 of the plastic's from Dillon it will never happen again. I think your idea is simpler and better than making one out of steel. With a steel bracket you still have the thing hanging down, waiting for your knee to bend it. With your method I use a 36" length of tube and let it hang into a coffee can. If I bump it with my knee there is plenty of give and nothing gets bent or broken. Great idea...thank you for sharing!!! Dillon could take lessons from you. Their bucket system is pretty lame.
    tchepone.

Johnny Cyclone talked to Dillon and they sent a metal braket that fits over the primer hole and by using your idea with the 38 brass and a tube was able to end this problem on both my SDB's for ever. Sorry I don't have the part # they sent me but knowing Dillon they will be able to help with it. And thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Way to go Johnny Cyclone! You da Man!

It's not really a special part... look at post #7. The second part from the left. See the black bracket? The hole in it is just right or a .38 special case. Not the hole to the far right thats for the Powder return Rod.

The rim of the 38 special won't go thru. so you are really just clamping the rim in between that braket and the press...like a gasket.

Drill out the head of the 38 special and there you go. I used a few small washers (matching the rim thickness) to level out the bracket.

If your square deal was built before they came with the powder safety return rod..you won't have that part.

P/:N 17212 Spent Primer Cup / Return Bracket

I think you could cut the blue plastic part to work..but it might look more hack than you might want.

Dillon manual Square Deal B link:
    http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/en...l-May-2007.pdf
    __________________________________________________ _____________

On another note:

Looking at the Square Deal Schematic it seems Dillon has changed the primer collection to use a XL650 primer catch cup. Same P/N..

So with these parts:
    P/:N 17212 (Spent Primer Cup / Return) Bracket
    P?N: 16211 Spent Primer Cup

You might not have to do the whole 38 special, Tube, Pill Bottle modification.

Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

However, if you already have a 38 special case, an old vitamin bottle, a 50 cent piece of tubing, and a bit of time you can make what you have work.

Triming Blue plastic piece (post#7) or using it as a templet on a piece of tuna can lid or some other piece of scarp metal to make your bracket. Two sizes of drill bit and your home free.

For thoes that like the tube idea and have 650's too a 44 mag case works with the stock bracket.

Vendor Sponsor

When I mounted my SDB's on their permanent mounts I had to convert to the new style primer cups simply because there was no room for the old style.

I got 2 of them and I think they were really cheap. <$10 each for the cup and bracket.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Looks like a good idea. I still have my original catcher and to think I have one of the very early Dillon Square Deal machines.