Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rockchucker Failure

Rockchucker Failure

I was attempting to swage a bullet today and it happened. My Rockchucker failed. snapped one of the connecting links where the pin goes through. Contacted RCBS and they gave me the option of sending it in and getting a new press orthem sending me the part. I opted for the part. It appears that the links are made of a cast and not a forged metal. Pics attached. Brand new press too. Got for Christmas.
    Last edited by Sasquatch-1; 08-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW ...

Have used a Rockchucker for more than 40 years without a failure. You must have REALLY honked on it, or the new parts are not the same strength of the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mstarling View Post
    WOW ...

Have used a Rockchucker for more than 40 years without a failure. You must have REALLY honked on it, or the new parts are not the same strength of the old ones.
    This is one of the new RC4's. If you look at the third picture you can see it is not forged but appears to be a cast of some sort.

I must say,this is the first "breakage" of this sort that I've seen with the RC,or really any brand. Other than the drive hub on certain LNL's.
    Remember Sasquatches do have quite a bit more strength than humans,so it probably could happen to any of them.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master

Cast Iron is unbelievably strong. Have to get out my books to give you the tensile strength But cast iron is very fragile I would bet that it was dropped either in shipment or manufacture not pulled apart by even a Sasquatch LOL

Are the RC's cast steel or cast iron ?

At any rate I think I would make some new arms from carbon steel stock for swaging.

Longwood
    Me too-!
    It sure would not cost very much.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    Are the RC's cast steel or cast iron ?

At any rate I think I would make some new arms from carbon steel stock for swaging.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    Cast Iron is unbelievably strong. Have to get out my books to give you the tensile strength But cast iron is very fragile I would bet that it was dropped either in shipment or manufacture not pulled apart by even a Sasquatch LOL
    I disagree. Depending on the type of cast iron the tensile strength of cast iron is about half that of mild steel. http://www.eformulae.com/engineering/tensile.php

Cast iron is brittle and has a low tensile strength compared to mild steel or cast steel. The early RCBS A2 presses are cast steel. RCBS figured out that was overkill for most applications and switched to cast iron on the later A2 presses.

Cast iron is cheap and it’s adequate for most press applications but it is not unbelievably strong even compared to mild steel.

Boolit Master
    I did the same thing in almost the exact same spot on my Classic Cast press swaging bullets.

Longwood

big enough lever

Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world.
    Or break anything made with cast or sintered metal!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I disagree. Depending on the type of cast iron the tensile strength of cast iron is about half that of mild steel. http://www.eformulae.com/engineering/tensile.php

Cast iron is brittle and has a low tensile strength compared to mild steel or cast steel. The early RCBS A2 presses are cast steel. RCBS figured out that was overkill for most applications and switched to cast iron on the later A2 presses.

Cast iron is cheap and it’s adequate for most press applications but it is not unbelievably strong even compared to mild steel.
    I agree. While the mild steel likely won't fracture if exposed to repeated stress it may however bend or distort. I do have an earlier Rockchucker- probably of the stronger variety. Funny that the comparable Reddings, while they may not break the castings, will break the link pins if stressed pretty hard. Also, probably true that most of this stuff is made to a "Normal Usage" standard- I'd guess more true today than in years past.

That's why for my bullet swaging I "bit the bullet" and bought a dedicated arbor press designed for swaging and only use the RELOADING press for reloading- even though it is the earlier, stronger model. In the long run doing that may have saved $ and for certain saved frustration.

Boolit Master
    No conventional press is made for bullet swaging. I've always gotten a chuckle at those who loudly tout the RC as unbreakable; NOTHING is fool proof to a suficently determined misuser.

Boolit Master
    That is disappointing, but not surprising this day and age.

Sorry, man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 40super View Post
    remember sasquatches do have quite a bit more strength than humans,so it probably could happen to any of them.

lmao!

Boolit Master

That is REALLY SAD.

I am afraid it signals the end of an era.

I honestly believe you couldn't break my 1960s model Rockchucker with a D6 Cat.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Either someone doesn't know how to read or speak English or are inserting words. I sure dont see where I said cast Iron was stronger than steel. I said it was strong. and I stand by what I said. cast is fragile and is bad about fracturing. But I would like to see even one man alive that can pull it apart. its tensile strength is more than sufficient for any operation even swaging It however is not a good material to handle shock loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    Either someone doesn't know how to read or speak English or are inserting words. I sure dont see where I said cast Iron was stronger than steel. I said it was strong. and I stand by what I said. cast is fragile and is bad about fracturing. But I would like to see even one man alive that can pull it apart. its tensile strength is more than sufficient for any operation even swaging It however is not a good material to handle shock loads.

I agree with you about the tensile strength.
    And I am not going to argue with any engineer types. However, it appears that vector forces are more than just pulling on the links like pulling taffy. There are downward stressors as well. Proven by the breakage.

Even the mighty Blue's castings break down at the pivot areas as well. Not uncommon with SDB's and 550's.

wonder if the other side maybe stressed ?
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Longwood
    Ordinary low carbon steel has about twice the tensile strength of grey (cast) iron.
    Cast iron comes with millions of built in pre-cracks. caused by graphite.

Boolit Grand Master

Even the mighty Blue's castings break down at the pivot areas as well
    I heard that "the mighty blue" casts their presses out of magnesium.
    As to the OP, wow just wow. I never thought I would see the day. Being that I am the self sufficient do-it-myself type, I would remake those arms out of steel. However, If you arent set up for that, RCBS should make it right by you. Their CS department is spoken of in hushed and reverent tones.
    If they tell you you are SOL because of abuse etc. etc. PM me. I'm a machinist and I can certainly hook you up with a new arm.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.