Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Making a new knife

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Making a new knife

I was digging through my scrap metal pile, and found a likely looking piece of steel. I haven't made a knife in probably over 15 years, but thought I would try doing one again. This still needs some polishing out yet, but it's close.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

very nice job!
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW that is real nice, I sure like the file work on the back.

Good lookin scalper !

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Nice bolster and pin work! I know that's not easy!!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 03-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I am envious of anyone who can take a piece of steel and make something out of it.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used to make a lot better knife, but no longer have the proper equipment to do a real high quality one anymore. I worked with a blacksmith and knife maker for seven years, and learned a little from him.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Same here. Used to make some from old files I bought at pawn shops for 50 cents, some from old leaf springs from the junk yards. Files make for very sharp scapel type blades, the leaf springs for nearly unbreakable beat arounds.

I tried making knives at home, but my main problem is making the bevel. I didn't have a 2inch belt sander, maybe this is what I need to make those nice bevels I saw in knife magazines.

In Remembrance

Looking very nice! I used to make knives out of quite a few different types of tool steels. If you really want to understand the meaning of the word "frustration" try using S - 7 steel.Robert

I have never made a knife before and should give it a try. Any good tips for a first timer?

Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    I have never made a knife before and should give it a try. Any good tips for a first timer?
    http://www.ramanon.com

Could be a overload of information here and envy of others abilities.

http://tidewaterblacksmiths.net/1.html

Good reference for steel uses.

My tips would be:
    1. If forging wear a support on your forearm.
    2. If grinding wear a face mask, safety glasses aren't enough.
    3. Start big it's gonna end up smaller than you originally designed anyway.

Thanks for the links and tips Daffy

Here is one I just finished. I found a use for those zinc wheel weights! I cast the bolsters from them.

Boolit Bub
    Fantastic work there.
    In need of top notch gunleather? Visit my page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-T...05958232763057 and have a look. 10% off for Cast Boolit members.

Boolit Master

Great looking knives! Makes me want to get another belt grinder and get back into it. Blut I dont know where I would put all the equipment, as I dont have room in my shop now that I have all my casting stuff!

Too many hobbies! Not enough time!!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Banned
    Nice work on the knives Ric.....what did the blades USED to be?

These ones are lawnmower blades! I've since went to o1 steel.

Boolit Grand Master

01 is good stuff. Are you forging them, or just grinding? I should have known you knew your way around a pritchel hole!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I learned by forging and still do that, although on thin blades stock removal is handier.