Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: dies for 7.62x54 ?

Boolit Master

dies for 7.62x54 ?

I have read in some previous threads about modifying Lee collet dies for use in neck sizing for the 7.62x54. What calibers will work and what modifications will need to be made? The 303 brit would be good because it would have the proper size mandrel for my rifles as they are both close to .312. Both of my full lenght dies, Lee @ Lyman , are set up for .308. Replacement expanders are avaliable but I use the one for my .303 brit. I would prefer to neck size so a collet sit up for the proper dia. would be great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

beemer

Boolit Bub
    The difference in case length between the 7.62x54R and .303 Brit. is .115. So, to modify a Lee .303 collet die for 7.62x54R, disassemble the die. Chuck the inner sleeve in the lathe. Remove .115 from the bottom of the sleeve. Reassemble.

MM

Smile

Whole lot easier than that: Go to Lee's site, pull up the .303 collet die, click on the replacement part number for the mandrel, and order one. Use it in your 7.62x54R collet die.

I did that to get a fatter expander ball to go with the standard full length 7.62x54R die.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

Lee Collet Die in "54R"?

Does Lee make a collet die in 7.62 X 54R?

I can't find it in their list.

Is it special order or did they make it previously and not now?

Regards

Three 44s

Smile

Heck, I can't find any 7.62x54R dies listed on Lee's site now. But I've got a set I bought last year with the regular full length die.

Banned
    FWIW, my Lee 7.5X55mm collet die works good with 7.62X54R. For cast boolits, you might order a 303 mandrel and put it in the 7.5 die.

Hope this helps.

SSB

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I only buy Lee Deluxe die seta nowadays to get all of the goodies. When I bought a set a few months ago the shop (who is a major Lee seller) told me they could only get the pacesetter dies for the ruskie.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Singleshotbuff,

Does the 7.5X55 Collet need any shortening like the .303 does for Russkie duty?

Three 44s

Banned
    Three44s,

Nope, at least not my specimen. 54mm vs 55mm (case length) seems close enough for my uses. Only thing I would add is 7.5X55mm comes with a mandrel for .308" bullets, you will probably need a larger mandrel for .310"+ BOOLITS.

I have used this die (7.55X55mm with mandrel for .308" bullets) for several loadings with a couple lots of cases (7.62X54R). No problems (with Jword bullets), no muss no fuss. Best of all, NO CASE LUBE, which speeds the loading proccess.

Hope this info is of use to someone. I LOVE Lee collet dies !!!!!

SSB

Smile

Thanks for the tip on the Swiss collet die for the Russkie!

Boolit Man
    My set that I have had for awhile is in the Red round with a Factory crimp die. I had it for sale for awhile then decided to keep it still have yet to use it as I have several K of surplus ammo and no reloadable brass yet
    Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid, But Some Abuse The Privilege

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Redding .284 Winchester Bushing die that is shortened. Chuck in lathe and shorten just enough so that the shoulder of a fire formed 7.62x54R case with the shell holder over the rim doesn't quite bump into the shoulder in the die. Then with bushings .327, .329, .331, .333. and 335" I can size the neck down to give .002-.003" tensin on bullets of .309 thru .314". Works much better than any other NSing I've tried.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-24-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Smile

Oh, I've got plenty of surplus ammo, too. And I don't expect the supply of 7.62x54R to dry up in our lifetimes, unlike 8x57 which is headed that way soon, and lots of other military calibers for which the supply's already gone. But handloading gives more options, especially with cast boolits. And it's another fun thing to do.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. Tried a 7.62x54 case in a 303 collet, about half the neck will size. A shortened collet will have to work. I might try it like it is just for kicks. The collet can be ordered from Lee for about $9. Then I could change them when needed.

Was any one at the Charlotte,NC show this weekend? Several dealers had some really nice looking 91/30 nagants. One dealer had two that were chrome plated,I guess they were for show. One of my friends bought a Hex 91/30. Haven't seen it yet but he said it was nice with a good bore.
    beemer

Thumbs up

Here is the article you want. This fellow has done it with a .308 LEE Collet die, He did not have to modify the die in any way. Pretty slick!

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...swap/index.asp

Smile

The .308 is remarkably like a rimless version of the old Russian cartridge. It's slightly shorter-necked and slightly skinnier at the base. Some have wrapped tape or foil around the base of .308s and fired them in Mosins. The official standard maximum working pressure is higher for the .308, so it can't be recommended.

Thumbs up Neck sizer

Neat idea! The caliber that I use this on escapes me at the moment, but I used much the same idea. I found a small hand wrench with just the perfect thickness to "take up the slack" in a similar project. Tough to fool a "real" handloader!!
    I hope there is a gun range in heaven, otherwise I'm going to hell!