Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

My best was with a 4 1/2 in barreled Ruger auto pistol, it really liked Winchester ammo. Even at 50 yds, with a set of Millet sights on it one could always hit what you were aiming at if you did it right. One windy day I decided to go squirrel hunting with the little pistol. After some time a squirrel on the ground came within range. The shot itself was unremarkable, I was aiming for the head. The squirrel fell dead instantly, like I expected it to. I couldn't for the life of me find an entry hole for the bullet, then I noticed a drop of blood at the back corner of the squirrel's eyelid. The bullet had gone in there without rupturing his eye. Since it was such a windy day, and with me using a pistol, mama expected me to come home empty handed, but I didn't. My brother couldn't believe the shot I'd made with the pistol.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

About 26 yrs ago...BF,Todd and I were jack hunting. Using a model 60, open sight I tracked the jack in front of us, but missed. The next time we see the jack it is crossing on an open stubble field ~200 yds away. One shot running and the jack flops....

Funny thing is Todd was always around when I made shots like that.

Man I miss those times, eyesight, rifle, Todd...etc.

Chris in MO

Boolit Master
    I would have to think here. I think it would have to be on a beaver back when I was in college. On my days before class or on my days off I was running a trapline at my grandfather's. One day when I was checking the traps at his pond I spotted a pair of beavers at his dam and they spotted me and went under. I was carrying my Colt Woodsman. Both beavers came back up, one about 25 yards out, I put a couple of rounds into him as he swam right to left. The other went down as the shots went out so I could not get him. About five minutes later he came back up about 50 yards out, also swimming right to left. I fired off two rounds and one made a definite THWACK. The beaver went down and came right back up. I was able to get him once more right in the side of the head.

Boolit Mold
    After High School I attended a Vo-Tech School. Having to work my way through school, I enrolled in the Work-Study program where I ended up on the cleaning detail. One evening, the guys on the cleaning crew began boasting of their shooting abilities. It was decided to take our guns to the school dump and put-up-or-shut-up. Remember, this was in the late 60s in Arkansas, and most pickup trucks had a 22 rifle in the back window. I was the only one without a rifle. I was armed with a small 1958 Beretta semi-auto handgun. Its 2 inch barrel would only chamber 22 shorts. I kept it loaded with short hollow points.
    At the school dump, someone propped up a board in front of a dirt pile. We dug thru the ashes of the burn pit for the small soup cans that came from the vending machines. Five cans were lined up on the board. Each shooter was to see how many cans could be knocked off with five shots. Sorry, I don’t remember the distance. Let the fun begin.
    I had endured much harassment about what they called my baby gun. They did not intend to allow me to enter into the fun and games. The last rifle guy to shoot only hit one can, and it was the first can on the left. I asked if I could give it a try. One of the guys replaced the target, but his mistake set the stage for my best shot. Instead of a burned soup can, he set the bottom half of a burned Coke bottle on the board.
    I fired my first shot at the target on the left, the glass bottle. The hollow point slug must have connected with the thick glass bottom. The exploding glass cleared off all of the other four soup cans. It was an OH MY++++++ moment. Without a word, I put my baby gun in my holster and walked away.
    I wish I could take credit for that event. It was not planned. As a matter of fact, I did not know it was glass until it blew up. I just took the first target in line. I just never told any of those guys. Oh, and they never made fun of my little Beretta again. I still have the Beretta, it is now over fifty years old