RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapper Length Muzzleloader?

IIRC Hopkins & Allen made a UH "buggy rifle" in .45 or .36 that was about 20". I have been looking for on for 20 years.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, the light show was interesting, even in daylight! That muzzle blast go a lo closer!

Can't remember what size measure is on my powder horn, but I didn't get any un-burnt powder dropped on the fresh snow i was shootin over, so looks like its not too much to burn up in the short barrel... I'll have to try the bigger measure i have too.

First shot didn't go off, I some how missed oil or moisture in the bottom of the barrel when cleaning it after cutting... had to pull the ball, and ran the rod down it,came out with a slurry of wet powder on the end. Pulled the flash hole screw and put some powder in under the nipple and into the barrel, some more dry powder in the bore, and touched it off with no ball.... Flame thrower! Cleared the bore out nicely. Next 4 shots were fine.

Its good and accurate, to minute of milk jug at around 40 feet, even with no sights just sighting along the barrel top. If it ever gets up above 0F again (Soon I hope!) I'll get out to he range and put it on paper, and over the chrony at 25 to 30 yards, see what she does.

I think I've decided on skinner sights express model, in all brass for a rear peep. Should look real good with the brass already on there. Easier to mount too, just drill and tap. Not sure on a front, a simple blade with a gold bead would be nice, and look authentic, but a fiber optic for brush busting would be fabulous... Then again, I've been wanting to try a globe front too.... Too many options!

G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Yeah, I expected the light show.

I'll suggest that you use fffg and keep your powder charges lighter than you would have in the full length barrel. Find an accurate load and call it good. Your chronograph will tell you how slow you're going, so don't expect it to be a moose crusher.

As for sights, everybody's eyes are different. I prefer a silver blade, gold bead, or GREEN fiber optic front sight. A globe will definitely work against you in other than bright light.

Boolit Master
    i just cut 9" of my cva .50 hawken bbl. its at 19.5", and the only reason i didnt cut it shorter is aesthetics.

it shoots just as good as before i cut it, and only lost <200fps with 50gr pryodex.
    btw, the federal 16" rifle law does not apply to muzzleloaders.