Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    My years in the Navy showed me I could always find a cup of coffee somewhere but you couldn't aways find stuff to put in it.
    So I like my hot and black and if it cool outside and I'm camping maybe a drop or two of brandy.
    being a Sailor too. I served on the Dixie the oldest ship in the navy at the time. our evaps constantly went out so no fresh water ... still watches so a little pinch between your cheek and gum will do ya LOL Yep I love it hot black and strong... Chicory is good in it too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    If I liked my coffee like I like my women I'd be drinking cheap, easy coffee that you throw out after your second cup.
    You mean you would keep it long enough to get a second cup?

If my coffee turned out like the women in my life, it would be cold, bitter, unsatisfying and full of grinds.
    Please dont tell my wife...... She'll take away my allowance and couch privleges.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

I'm a Community Coffee drinker too. Right now I'm drinking the Cafe blend. I may have to try the one with chicory.

We have a vacuum packed bag that our son brought back from Vienna. Haven't tried it yet so I really don't know what to expect. Sort of hope I don't like it since there is no chance of getting any more.

Like others, the only way to drink coffee is straight black. No milk/cream for me.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    HiJack!! Do I misunderstand?? Is there something wrong with GlenLivet??? Oh, say it ain't so, Joe !!!

It just way down on my list of favorites.
    Seems restaraunts in my neck of the woods stock it, with little, or no other choice.
    I think they have a real good salesman.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad decisions make good stories.

My brother gave me a Tassimo machine for Christmas. I'm having a time trying to find a brew that I like.
    I never would have bought one myself, neat machine though.
    My stand-by brew is Mill Stone Colombian, whole bean, brewed using a Malita one cup cone.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Now THIs is a thread I didn't expect to find here–started by a moderator no less. Hello, fellow coffee freaks.
    I'm gearing up to make a sweetmarias buy eventually and roll my own (why not, I do everything else from scratch and I love coffee). A student of mine gave me a serious grinder, which opened up a whole new world. Let me tell you–get ye a real grinder and you will never again use that little blade hopper that we've all relied on. This is an Isomac Gran Macanino–no, they ain't cheap, but they make a huge difference, grinding with a heavy duty, adjustable burr vs. a high rpm blade as all the little grinders have. Yeah, I know, I couldn't have afforded it either, but man...BTW, my espresso machine cost $1.50 at a local church basement and works fine. I was also told that those swirly stovetop popcorn makers are a good bet for roasting your own small batches of beans.

Boolit Master
    The best coffee I have ever had was a pot brewed at 0400 in the coals of a dying campfire in a percolator. Sitting on a log, shivering. Rifle leaning next to me. Sound of a lone yote complaining against the daybreak. Knuckles locked in a deathgrip around the beat up aluminum cup I found on another camping trip. One side of my hand frozen, the other on fire from holding the scalding liquid.
    I know what you mean. Mine was had early in the morning deep in Merck forest in western VT, mist still low over the field we'd camped on and a low fire burning to go with the low early voices...ya don't forget moments like that.

Boolit Master
    Boolseye hit it on the head.
    Get a ya a full blown burr grinder and coffee takes on a whole new meaning. That, and brewing at the right temp.

Boolit Grand Master

A burr grinder doesn't have to be expensive. You can buy them at WalMart, I did. I love Tanzanian Peaberry as a single bean coffee, often blend it with an Indonesian berry. Kona is so strong that it is always a small percentage of a blend and dominates that blend. If you like it, great. I like a more subtle taste.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    The best coffee I have ever had was a pot brewed at 0400 in the coals of a dying campfire in a percolator. Sitting on a log, shivering. Rifle leaning next to me. Sound of a lone yote complaining against the daybreak. Knuckles locked in a deathgrip around the beat up aluminum cup I found on another camping trip. One side of my hand frozen, the other on fire from holding the scalding liquid.

That is the best cup I have ever had. Or maybe ever will.
    Reminds me of one of many NTC rotations we did in the early 90s...
    In those days, we lived in our Bradleys like some people live in an RV. After a long, hard day of training out 'in the box', night was falling. We had pulled our tracks into a night defensive position, I can remember my buddy pulling out a large blue enamel coffee pot that he kept in the sponson box. He brewed up a pot of cheap coffee over a single burner Coleman stove and we sat there on the Bradley’s ramp sipping away and jaw jacking late into the night.
    It gets pretty cold in Mojave desert at night and that hot coffee really hit the spot.
    That kind of comradely, at least in my experience, is hard to come by nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    I love coffee. I like it STRONG and black.
    If the cup tumps over, and the coffee runs out, it is too weak.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    nice lookin' 91/30 there, John 242.

Banned
    Ethiopian Harrar is great coffee! So is Ethiopian Yergacheff. I am a coffee nut & always grind my own.

Boolit Master
    Most of my training missions were in Louisianna. And there was no chow that did not come out of the "green cans". Including the coffee. It actually wasn't coffee. It was coon pee that trickled through all that clay and ended up in a hot spring mixed with some pig turds. And I liked it cause it was all I had. Well, I tolerated it. But my MOS kept me in the rear when I wasn't pulling a guard shift. Ahhh.... the memories.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    I love coffee. I like it STRONG and black. I've had most of the blends available and like them ALL. My favorite is a triple Americano. For the uninitiated thats three shots of espresso and just a little hot water. Strong enough to keep the average person awake for about 3 weeks.
    Dframe, your a light weight. An Americana is six shots or it's just hot water.

Ok, I admit it; if I ever got any blood in my caffeine system it would probably kill me. I hate it if I get a cut because caffeine leaks out wasting it. Caffeine is definitely my drug of choice.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    "Kopi luwak (Malay pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[1] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness,[citation needed] widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

http://www.amazon.com/Kopi-Luwak-Cof.../dp/B0030IGUIK
    I remember fondly the Dave Barry column about that. Had me laughing till I cried. He called it "Poop-a-cino" I've never had Kopi Lewak but have tried a LOT of others. Unless it's some stupid flavored "candy coffee" I generally like it.
    Strong Black and NO added flavors.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Moderator Emeritus

Why is it every time I revisit this thread I feel the need to make a cup of the stuff.

I have some 8 oclock beans, maybe a small cup won't hurt.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Some of my best coffee memories are stopping at my Ma's place and having coffee with her. After I was grown we got along pretty good and had intimate conversations about life and such over coffee.

My ex wife and I traveled on our MC and packed everything we needed. Small pup tent, 2 sleeping bags zipped into one, a 2 burner foldup sterno stove, a small percolator, boyscout mess kits and clothes. Well I made a cooler rack on the trailer hitch so we carried food and drinks also. Waking up in the Smoky Mountains back in a primitive camp site and cooking over a fire making coffee on the sterno stove watching the mist burn off over the mountains.................
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

The best coffee was with the folks in the morning and once upon a time, at 0'darkthirty, at Camp Perry by the CRO's tower in a freezing August gale coming off of Lake Erie, I thought the Army tar was life saving.

My alter ego is a food scientist and I've done a little research into several aspects of this amazing food item. I've been recently working on a $10K Turkish made roaster that is interface through my laptop, it has me getting in touch with my inner Geek. I'm finding I like a medium dark roast where the beans are just begining to sweat out the oils. It sort of reminds me of casting, temperature and blends, that 'just so' state that gives the perfect results and satisfaction.

There is lots of controversy and opinions when it comes to coffee but that keeps me in a paycheck. Ha!
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    I believe the quality of pre-ground coffee has diminished over the last few decades! I have been buying the WalMart Colombian and mixing 50/50 with fresh ground beans. It sure is better! Now I am wondering about roasting my own.

I never got the habit till in my 20's and have always drank mine black. I would fix coffee in the morn and take my wife cup with milk in it. I started sipping it and acquired a taste for milk in it. Then my sister gave me real cream one day! Now I love real cream in my coffee! Strong brewed with lots of cream!

I went to a pint size cup! Let's not fool around!
    J
    actually just watched a show on this a few months ago. the quality of coffee decreased from the late 50's to the late 90's, almost driving maxwell house out of business.

from the late 90's on the quality of coffee has come up greatly. mostly with the rise of starbux. heck just look at micky D's. went from being voted some of the worst, to beating out starbux in some areas.