MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my K-31 Tuesday. Photos........

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I have the two earlier editions of the schmidt's, I keep telling myself I need the third...the middle aged one has been sporterised, and it has a jethro aperature on the rear sight blade.

I have some 284 brass because I use it to neck down to 6x284...funny things is folks also use the 7.5 swiss brass in rifles made for 284 based ctg. when all there was was w-w brass in 284 and norma was avail in the 7.5 swiss

My dad also drummed it home that the 7.5 swiss loaded with smokeless was used by them when the usa still issued the trapdoor and blackpowder loads.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, and that sharp shoulder makes them slow surps burn pretty good too!

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up surplus thanks

SWheeler, much obliged for the note on surplus powders in the K-31.

I was early into 7383, but haven't used it all that much since I found it best in condom loads in several calibers at c. 90% max. Your post jolted me into an awareness that the time is now, being as I plan on easing into cast with the shooort-throated K-31 and the fact that it just so dang hot here(109 in the shade today)that Alox begins to fail in rifles, til the rains come in mid-July. So, 7.5 Swiss with surplus powder and condoms is it!

Any load range suggestions in either 846 or 7383?

jethrow

Boolit Grand Master

Smile

Jethrow: lot to lot variations in any of these powders can be very large, so start low and work up watching for signs of excessive pressure. With the 7383 I now use only standard primers- when using mag primers ext spreads open way up and pressures rise fast when just switching from standard primers- this powder is EXTREMELY easy to ignite- so with reduced loads use some form of filler to keep the powder positioned(prevent flashover)
    150 gr Win power point
    OEM LR mag primer
    43.0 gr WC846=2610 approching max

200 gr Lee cast-.309 GC+ 1 poly wad
    CCI 200 primer
    35.0 gr IMR7383 (lot unspecified by supplier)=1820 fp

172 HORN fmjbt moly
    CCI 250 primer
    57.0 Olin WC860=2103 fps(this same load should be fine with the 200 gr cast) ES were low and accuracy was good

hope this helps
    Scooter

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Pb head's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut
    Yeah,I fell into the K-31 trap myself,bought one at the Big-5 in Bend. Not as pretty as Buckshots but this one has a beautiful bore and crown. I expect a lil proper wax and cleaning will go a long ways though. Now to gather the needed sundries and accoutrements. I have some .284 brass on hand already so thats not so big a deal,but which dies? Have any of you used the Lee Collet dies in this cal or a similar cartridge? Pro's~Con's? Just spring for the Pacesetters?
    Another winding road to mil-surp satisfaction...maybe a separate category for next years NCBS? Straight Pull rifle?
    I used the pacesetter dies at first but they oversized the brass to the point of getting split necks and the brass growing in length at a fast rate, some only lasted 3-4 loadings and I load light. When Lee came out with the collet dies in the Swiss I didn't waste no time in sending for a set at Midway. I get collet dies for every caliber rifle I have. Best thing since sliced bread, no lube and brass lasts forever. [Hint] If you want a harder bullet pull. chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down with emery paper until you get what you want. As far as bores and crowns go every K31 I've seen has had excellent ones along with the best trigger on any military rifle I've ever handled.

Pb head

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Collet dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pb head
    I used the pacesetter dies at first but they oversized the brass to the point of getting split necks and the brass growing in length at a fast rate, some only lasted 3-4 loadings and I load light. When Lee came out with the collet dies in the Swiss I didn't waste no time in sending for a set at Midway. I get collet dies for every caliber rifle I have. Best thing since sliced bread, no lube and brass lasts forever. [Hint] If you want a harder bullet pull. chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down with emery paper until you get what you want. As far as bores and crowns go every K31 I've seen has had excellent ones along with the best trigger on any military rifle I've ever handled.

Pb head
    I have just started using these. I have used Pacesetters (amongst others) with great success. I can't come to grips with the collet dies dead length boolit seater. I suppose I'll get used to it over time. I have bought the deluxe set with the FLS die as well. I have since been thinking about a Redding body die to be used in conjunction with the collet neck die. Anybody had any experience with this? Can I just drill out the neck size part of the fls die (sounds too easy don't it!).

Also trying to decide between a Meecham seated and a Redding seater for my straight cases (38, 44, 375 Win and 45/70), I suppose you could include the 9mm and 38 Stupor as well. Dang whatever I want to do, it costs big bucks.

Mick.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 06-22-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Pb head's Avatar
    I seen something on another site that could explain why I had trouble with FL dies for the Swiss. Seems that the K31's have a little bigger chamber then the 1911 rifle and the dies are sized for the 1911's. It was also mentioned that Redding makes dies for both but you have to ask.

Pb head

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S
    Graf's has been out of "their" 7.5 x 55 brass for ages.
    Their latest catalog that came in May(I get the dealer catalog because of the C&R) had 7.5 x 55 brass. I think it was Czech(sp?). I got a circular before the catalog came and ordered a good supply. I just bought some Norma virgin(?) on Ebay. Remains to be seen if it is as described.
    John

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

What are you guys doing for stripper clips? The Big 5 I got my rifle from had not a one.
    I saw some advertised in the Shotgun News at Sarco. 10 clips for like $34.95.

Any of you interested if I ask them for a bulk price?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Super Moderator

.............AT $3.50 each for strippers, I think I'll do without, thank you very much . Now if they were down around $.25 each I'd go for a few of'em.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Yea I just push em in my K31 mag just like I do my Mausers and Mosins and they load up just fine.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

I've bought most of my K31 chargers (strippers) at gun shows for about $1.00 each. I've seen some a $5.00 also. I think Tennessee Gun Parts has some at 10 for $12 a while ago.

Everybody ought to have at least one just to try out the slickest stripper ever made.
    Chuck

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought 6 more stipper clips for $5 at a gun show. GP-11 amm was as low as $22 per 60 and as high as $36 depending on the vendor. The supply of K-31's seem to be drying up, as a friend bought the last one at the show for $95 when just 3 months ago there were literally one hundred or more.

Wink K31 "Chargers"

Just got an email newsletter from TGP today and they have them in several flavors: one each; 4 each; and (I think) 12 each.

You'll have to check their web site as I'm on a different computer and don't have access to my email.

I did buy one some time ago and I agree, they work slick!
    Regards,

WE

Super Moderator

............Faxed Graf and Son and order last night, and then mid morning I called to confirm and/or check to see what might NOT be available on the order. Amongst the goodies and for the 7.5 Swiss was a set of Lee Pacemaker dies (in stock), a collet die for the same (in stock), and a factory crimp die (no got).

Well heck, but I can still make ammo. The Win 284 brass (no got), and naturally no idea about their own 7.5 Swiss brass availability. According to Willy @ Graf's, Winchester will NOT be making any more 284 brass till SOMETIME in 2006. Carumba! But maybe the Graf's 7.5 will come in before then? Didn't even think to ask about Norma brass. Plum fergot.

Called Midway to check for 284 Winchester brass. Nope, all out.

So if anyone should happen to have say 20 cases, new/used, of whatever headstamp, they'd be willing to part with for a price plus shipping, lemme know. I will gratefully fire off some U.S. Federal Reserve IOU's in your direction.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    Buckshot

Wideners reloading in TN has the Win 284 brass for $17.70 plus shipping.

Joe

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    Buckshot

Wideners reloading in TN has the Win 284 brass for $17.70 plus shipping.

Joe
    .............Thanks Joe. I'll get with them tomorrow! I'll assume that's for possibly 30-50 pieces?

............Buckshot

Banned
    That's 50 pieces

Joe

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up 284 Win Brass

Buckshot, been down this road just a week ago----got 284 Win brass from both Lock Stock & Barrel in Nebraska and Natchez---it's all priced in the $34-36 per hun range. jethrow

Banned
    Natchez doesn't have it, out of stock like most other places. Lock and stock shows it in stock.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 06-27-2005 at 11:46 PM.