RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: building a new reloading bench

Boolit Man

building a new reloading bench

I am looking for some ideas for my new reloading bench. to be more accurate a way to mount press to the bench that can be easily removed or changed out. I have 3 MEC shotgun presses and RCBS Jr. press, and my lube sizer, and a vise. that I would like to figure out some kind of adapter plate system or maybe something like a receiver hitch design for quick change out or to have a clear bench for a little gunsmithing.

anyone got any pearls of wisdom??

Boolit Buddy
    Simplicity rules. I have all my equipment mounted to 3/4 inch oak boards that extend about 1 inch from either side and use "C" clamps. Cheap, works great, and units are rock solid.

Boolit Master
    I use 2x12 1' long. That id 12"x12" . I have my pres's mt on it . I use 4 ea. 3/4" bolts to blot the board to my table. I have a 12x12 on ea. press and it is easy to take one off and mt the next one in to the same holes.

Boolit Master

There's Pat Marlin's Rock Dock and Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system. Just run a search on these and you'll find lots of information and pictures.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    There's Pat Marlin's Rock Dock and Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system. Just run a search on these and you'll find lots of information and pictures.
    there are some good ideas

Boolit Buddy
    There is a system designed by one of the older gun writers (sorry, I forgot his name) that uses dovetailed 3/4 inch boards that slide into a slot in the bench top.

The system I use is 12"X14" aluminum plates that bolt to the bench top. Inleted in the bench top are 4 each 3/4" Stainless Steel bolts with 3/8" threaded wells in the top of the bolt heads. The aluminum plates bolt into the SS bolts to anchor the presses. This works very well with mounts similar to the Dillon Strong Mount.

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    I use 2x12 1' long. That id 12"x12" . I have my pres's mt on it . I use 4 ea. 3/4" bolts to blot the board to my table. I have a 12x12 on ea. press and it is easy to take one off and mt the next one in to the same holes.
    I did this too. I used T-nuts under the table so they stay put in the wood while the bolts are out. Cheap, versatile, and solid way to use a tiny 2' X 4' workbench for multiple presses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    +1. Check out patmarlins dot com for lots of good pics and order info.

Gear

Boolit Master

as for your Mecs they have a base mount. that works to interchange their presses. I drilled and tapped it for the supersizer too.
    If you mount it to front edge of bench , you can drill it for the Lee loadmaster

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen View Post
    There is a system designed by one of the older gun writers (sorry, I forgot his name) that uses dovetailed 3/4 inch boards that slide into a slot in the bench top.

The system I use is 12"X14" aluminum plates that bolt to the bench top. Inleted in the bench top are 4 each 3/4" Stainless Steel bolts with 3/8" threaded wells in the top of the bolt heads. The aluminum plates bolt into the SS bolts to anchor the presses. This works very well with mounts similar to the Dillon Strong Mount.
    do you have any pictures???

Boolit Man
    all of these are good ideas and I am following up on some of them with great interest. the Crusty Deary Ol'Coot's under bench receiver system, really got my attention, it would allow me to have clear workbench when I am not reloading. does anyone know if someone makes these for sale.

Banned

Beanflip came up with what seems to be a really super idea for an underbench, no-drill press mount and was going to patent it. I don't know how that turned out or if we'll ever be able to buy one or buy the rights to make one. Check out post #401 in the reloading bench picture thread.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 12-31-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dano440 View Post
    do you have any pictures???
    You want pictures?
    Take a look at this thread. Lots of pictures. You'll see some great ideas after spending some time looking at that thread...
    Loading Bench Pics
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

BTW, the old gun writer who came up with that system of dove-tailed boards was Wiley Clapp.
    There are pictures of a members bench utilizing that system in Post 125 of that thread I linked to above.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    BTW, the old gun writer who came up with that system of dove-tailed boards was Wiley Clapp.
    There are pictures of a members bench utilizing that system in Post 125 of that thread I linked to above.
    do you know anyone that has used the dovetail? do they have any problem with expansion with humidity and plates getting stuck in the top??

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dano440 View Post
    do you know anyone that has used the dovetail? do they have any problem with expansion with humidity and plates getting stuck in the top??
    Other than Patrick L, the guy who posted those pictures, no I don't know anyone who is using that system.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I don't have a decicated reloading bench, so in the garage I use my workbench. The only press I use that requires any pressure to operate is the Rockchucker I use to FL size bottleneck cases. I mounted it on a 2x8 board long enough that it only requires one bolt about 8" back from the edge of the bench to secure it. Use an eye bolt with a big washer and wing nut under the bench top and you won't need tools on either end to get it tight enough. After using this for several years, I never notice the hole in the workbench top. When the Rockchucker isn't in use I set it on the shelf above the workbench using the same bolt through a hole in the shelf to keep it in place. For all the other metallic reloading steps, and for the complete handgun loading cycle, I use my ancient Spartan press mounted on a pedestal that I can move around in the den. I have MEC shotshell reloaders mounted on a piece of board and only use a C-clamp to secure them to the workbench since a lot of operating leverage isn't needed.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I don't have a decicated reloading bench, so in the garage I use my workbench. The only press I use that requires any pressure to operate is the Rockchucker I use to FL size bottleneck cases. I mounted it on a 2x8 board long enough that it only requires one bolt about 8" back from the edge of the bench to secure it. Use an eye bolt with a big washer and wing nut under the bench top and you won't need tools on either end to get it tight enough. After using this for several years, I never notice the hole in the workbench top. When the Rockchucker isn't in use I set it on the shelf above the workbench using the same bolt through a hole in the shelf to keep it in place. For all the other metallic reloading steps, and for the complete handgun loading cycle, I use my ancient Spartan press mounted on a pedestal that I can move around in the den. I have MEC shotshell reloaders mounted on a piece of board and only use a C-clamp to secure them to the workbench since a lot of operating leverage isn't needed.
    I have used clamps on my mec's before and it works pretty good. since i was building from scratch I was thinking I would try and make it look nice and make it multipurpose bench to clean guns and do a little gunsmithing on.

so far on my project I have gathered up two utility cabinets from work 21w x 84 t x 24 d. and built a 24 x 60 bench with out a top at the moment. I have the cabinets on each side of the bench at the moment to see if that going to work for me or to put them both on the same side.

Boolit Man
    still working on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench project.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	39262

still a lot to still figure out.
    bench top in just some scrap I had around while I experiment, the good stuff is stored away

Boolit Master

Lee makes a great quick change setup. Loosen 4 screws, swap presses and tighten screws back. Set comes with base and 3 blocks and you can buy more ( set of 4 is like $10 ) or cut your own!! Works great for me.