Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: gallager carbine paper cartridge?

gallager carbine paper cartridge?

Can the gallager carbine be shot with paper cartridges?

Its one of the Erma versions made in germany, and the brass shells that I have with it will only accept a .530 round ball, I was curious if I could roll some paper cartridges and thus would be able to chamber some .535 or .540 round balls.
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 12-24-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Hi Hick,

My Gallager was an original, but I used brass cartridges (not the original black rubber). I'm surprised you're shooting round balls, as I would expect unpatched, unlubricated balls to lead the barrel. I loaded mine with grooved bullets lubricated with T/C Bore Butter, and this is what I would recommend to you. If needed to suit your barrel dimensions, you can have the mold cut so the bullet is heeled, like a 22 LR bullet. That way it will fit your brass cases and fit your bore as well. The only problem is you'll have to take care to keep the exposed lube grooves free of dirt and grit.

Take care, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Hick,

My Gallager was an original, but I used brass cartridges (not the original black rubber). I'm surprised you're shooting round balls, as I would expect unpatched, unlubricated balls to lead the barrel. I loaded mine with grooved bullets lubricated with T/C Bore Butter, and this is what I would recommend to you. If needed to suit your barrel dimensions, you can have the mold cut so the bullet is heeled, like a 22 LR bullet. That way it will fit your brass cases and fit your bore as well. The only problem is you'll have to take care to keep the exposed lube grooves free of dirt and grit.

Take care, Tom
    Have you used paper or foil cartridges in your gallager?

I have one of the repo carbines, sent my barrel to Bobby Hoyt, he relined it to .50 cal. Shoots so much better than it did when it was a .54. If I remember correct thou, when in .54 cal. the bullet is the same outside diameter as the case, you can shoot the .535 or .540 roundballs, but you must tap them into the case for a tight fit. Just enough to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffy25thia View Post
    I have one of the repo carbines, sent my barrel to Bobby Hoyt, he relined it to .50 cal. Shoots so much better than it did when it was a .54. If I remember correct thou, when in .54 cal. the bullet is the same outside diameter as the case, you can shoot the .535 or .540 roundballs, but you must tap them into the case for a tight fit. Just enough to hold them.
    Have you triedd paper or foil cartridges in your carbine?

If I have no luck turning up the rapine mold that was made for this unit I will try the larger balls regardless, but Im really interested in if anyone has tried a paper or foil cartridge, I have come across a picture of an original foil cartridge for the gallagher, and was hoping to try a paper or tin foil cartridge with the ball tied into the main cartridge.
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 12-26-2011 at 01:59 AM.

I've seen pictures of the cartridges that you speak of, but have never tried them. I have an old magazine that shows the Erma carbine when it was first sent here for sale. They were using a .54 cal maxi bullet, with the base trimmed off, having only one grease groove.

Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post
    Have you triedd paper or foil cartridges in your carbine?

If I have no luck turning up the rapine mold that was made for this unit I will try the larger balls regardless, but Im really interested in if anyone has tried a paper or foil cartridge, I have come across a picture of an original foil cartridge for the gallagher, and was hoping to try a paper or tin foil cartridge with the ball tied into the main cartridge.