Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead @ $2.05/lb (including surgery)

Boolit Buddy

Lead @ $2.05/lb (including surgery)

Merry Christmas, 12/10/11

I have been lucky enough to pick up 1200 pounds of smelted wheel weight lead at the local scrap yard over the last three months. Priced at $0.50 per pound I figured this was a good deal. Then there is the $0.13 per pound in LP gas to smelt the lead into ingots (I need to make my smelting setup more efficient). Lastly there is the $1700 for the hernia surgery done two days ago making my cost per pound $2.05. I figure even with the surgery the cost per pound isn't too bad. But to make matters worse I limped over to the scrap yard today and bought another 200 pounds. Too bad I won't be able to lift it out of the car for another two or three months till I heal. But I still say I am not addicted and can quit at any time.

best wishes- oldandslow

Banned

That is some REAL cast boolit sickness ....

Boolit Bub
    Hey,

There must be some sort of cast boolits award for those who go above and beyond all reasonable measure to enjoy our hobby/sport !!!

Cheers

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Hey,

There must be some sort of cast boolits award for those who go above and beyond all reasonable measure to enjoy our hobby/sport !!!

Cheers
    A silver boolit?

A silver boolit?
    I'm thinking there ought to at least be some cash-in reward for the frequent poster miles. A DIY lead-level test kit, package of "cast boolit" hand wipes, complimentary burn salve or band-aids with the cast boolit logo... Something!
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

If the stuff is in the back of your car, you are set for driving on snow packed roads.

Boolit Buddy
    Look at the positive side on ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the money you save casting.

Boolit Man
    I love that story. Reminds me of the time I got an old axe head for a few bucks, and decided to put a new handle on it, thinking of what a great deal I was getting on a good old quality axe. Well, it bit me and after the tendon repair surgery that axe cost me over $1000. I havent touched it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    I'm thinking there ought to at least be some cash-in reward for the frequent poster miles. A DIY lead-level test kit, package of "cast boolit" hand wipes, complimentary burn salve or band-aids with the cast boolit logo... Something!

Boolit Master

Dedication!

Boolit Master
    If y'all boolit molds would put your state in the location space, somebody might help you get the lead out of the trunk. Just a thought.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I bought a 150'ish pound lead weight off of a guy locally. Now in the presence of another man, my alpha strength kick in and I picked it up and dropped it in my truck rather effortlessly.

Once home it was game over. That hunk might as well have been welded to the trunk floor. A week later I finally got up the steam to pull it out of the trunk and then drag it to the garage. I hope nobody saw me getting my butt kicked by this relatively small piece of metal.
    They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on.

If a little is good, a lot is better, and too much is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If the stuff is in the back of your car, you are set for driving on snow packed roads.
    Unless he drives a front wheel drive car.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    My question is:

Where can you get hernia surgery for only $1700?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Would you mind sharing the identity of your Vetenarian with us ? (just in case)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    oldandslow, did you ever think about using a hand cart?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    $1700 is probably his Obama care deductible.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for the well wishes- 12/11/11

Answers to a couple of the questions and comments.

Ron- my location is about 9,000 miles west of you. I do appreciate the thought of someone helping me unload my latest 200 lb. stash. I can always unload the lead a few pounds at a time. As long as I can still get around some I will do my own work (which is a result of my depression-era parent's upbringing). When I can't do my own work what's the use in hanging around.

To 454 and Jeff- the $1700 was just my part of the procedure for the deductables and copays. And my surgeon gave me a big discount since he is a shooter also.

And the few days recovery time has been well spent. I modified my propane smelter setup to lose less heat and I reloaded 300 9mm cast boolits ( one of Tom's AccurateMold molds) on my Dillon Square Deal B. I also cleaned five pistols and started doing my taxes. I got a lot of stuff done-I should get operated on more often.

merry Christmas- oldandslow

Boolit Master

BAND-AIDS with the Cast Boolist logo on it! That is a great idea Rangefinder! I'd buy some for sure.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    Merry Christmas, 12/10/11

I have been lucky enough to pick up 1200 pounds of smelted wheel weight lead at the local scrap yard over the last three months. Priced at $0.50 per pound I figured this was a good deal. Then there is the $0.13 per pound in LP gas to smelt the lead into ingots (I need to make my smelting setup more efficient). Lastly there is the $1700 for the hernia surgery done two days ago making my cost per pound $2.05. I figure even with the surgery the cost per pound isn't too bad. But to make matters worse I limped over to the scrap yard today and bought another 200 pounds. Too bad I won't be able to lift it out of the car for another two or three months till I heal. But I still say I am not addicted and can quit at any time.

best wishes- oldandslow

My experience exactly.

I calculated that with the waste, not counting the labor and propane. NOt counting going to get them and hauling them home. If I can buy wheel weights at 65 cents. It is cheaper to just order the pre-processed ingots from members here and pick them up ON MY FRONT PORCH.

I hear people talk about 50 cents but 65 is the cheapest I have seen in years.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford