Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First kills with Lyman 429421

Boolit Buddy
    I've killed a LOT of deer with nearly that exact load, 9grs Unique and either the 429244 or 429421 from both rifles and pistols. Even wrote up a little article about it back in the '80's for SSK's HHI. Took a few bear with it too. And still use it today.

Out of more than a couple dozen deer that I've taken with this load the reactions can be as varied as one can imagine. From dropping in their tracks at the shot without a twitch to running a couple hundred yards before bedding down. Like us, deer are quite a lot different from one another. Two things that always remained consistant were that one, I never recovered a bullet from any angle. Always exited. And two, I never lost a deer shot with this load, nearly every one was a one shot kill.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the responses. I cast a batch of 429421's today out of a pretty soft mystery alloy ( I think about 50% lead and 50% WW), and a batch of air cooled WW. I would like to try some of these softer boolits with the same 9 grain of Unique load, and also see how fast I can push them with 2400 without leading.

44 flattop, how hard of an alloy were you using? Is your article available to read anywhere? If so I would like to read it. I found a bunch of Elmer Keith's articles about the .44 online the other day and found them to be very interesting. I have been kind of obsessed with hunting with the .44 mag here lately. Hunting with a handgun is so much fun I may never deer hunt with a rifle again.

Boolit Master
    I knew this old cowpuncher years ago, lived up in Salmon, Idaho. He used about the same load, and that exact bullet, in its' original form. I think he started using it in the early 1930's...

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr View Post
    44 flattop, how hard of an alloy were you using? Is your article available to read anywhere? If so I would like to read it.
    I use about 75/25 WW/pure lead with a pinch of tin thrown in. As to the article, I have no idea if it is available online anywhere.

I found a bunch of Elmer Keith's articles about the .44 online the other day and found them to be very interesting. I have been kind of obsessed with hunting with the .44 mag here lately. Hunting with a handgun is so much fun I may never deer hunt with a rifle again.
    I've had so much fun over the past 35 years hunting with the .44 in mostly revolver form, I just can't tell you. Only recently have I went back to using rifles any, and that in Leverguns using straight walled cases and mostly just .44's.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to load up some hotter loads with 2400 and hopefully try the same boolits on another doe if I can find the time to sneak away and hunt some more. White Eagle, your response made me chuckle. While the 9 grain of unique killed the deer, I dont plan on using it again for hunting. It was a very pleasant and accurate load though.
    I like #9 or 2400 for full house 44 mag loads, usually with a gas check. I'm sure they would be fine at lower velocities. H296 is just soooo abrupt - these other two are much pleasant to shoot at the same velocity. I've got a great grand jug of 296, but still bought some of these other two. I'll use the H296 for 30 carbine.

These two propellants (esp. #9) also work great for 240 grain or 300 grain JHPs (they were blems but I'd wager they are Hornady) at top velocities in my 629 with the ~8" barrel, and my Desert Eagle.