RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Question about bullet lube

Question about bullet lube

I bought a few precast bullets at the gun show today to load in my Trapdoor rifle. Never thought to ask him about the lube that was on them, I want to shoot Black Powder in this rifle. Will this red lube work, or should I remove it and put my own lube on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bullet 001.JPG  

Boolit Master

Get rid of that stuff bet it's hard almost plastic like. Either make some blackpowder lube or buy some.

Boolit Buddy
    Stuffy,
    All good black powder lubes are water soluable. The combination of black powder and petrolium products in a lube will create a tar like substance in your bore. It is a mess to clean up and no good for lubrication or accuracy. There are a number of good recipies for black powder lube here under another header at this site. If you are in doubt I would change the lube on them.

Pete

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have an 84 Trapdoor I shoot more than the 73 model.
    But yes make you some 45-55% olive oil- beeswax. If those grooves are not deep then dobber some more on the noses. Those long trapdoor barrels use up alot of lube.
    Alsl check your throat diameter. Mine all each fat throated at .461+. One is .463. Best accuracy I had was to have my boolits no more than .002 under throat with 400 grain +. Lighter boolits I shoot at throat diameter and swab the throat each shot. Also use a cereal box wad under the boolit base.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Been shooting Civil War for years, always used 1/2 bees wax, 1/2 bore butter. Have had good luck with it, just wasn't sure about what came on these cast bullets.

Banned

Beeswax and seed based oils are best. Olive oil, Safflower, peanut, corn, etc. Ballistol also is great as is Lube Gard auto transmission valve and assembly lube. (seed based)
    Lanolin is used for "sticky" and soaps used so the components do not separate when cooling, (stearates)
    Salt free pig lard, sheep tallow and many other things work in mixes.
    Stay away from any mineral oils.
    In general, the highest flash point oils work best, you don't want it to burn in the bore.
    There must be a billion recipes for BP lubes.

Stuffy,
    Those two bullets shown don't carry enough lube for BP. You may need a grease cookie in addition to replacing the waxy lube with a softer BP lube. They are fine for smokeless powders.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    (Stay away from any mineral oils)??????? If you look on a can of Ballistol, it contains
    mineral oil.I have mixed 50/50 mineral oil & bees wax for years.Please I have been shooting
    black powder for 40 years doing that.

Fly

I have a .410 double barrel muzzleloading shotgun. Then fiber wads and thin cards look as if they are going to work for what I have in mind. I'll peel off about 1/8" of the wad, soak it in melted bore butter, and use the thin card for over the powder. Should work.

Boolit Master

If you mix up some Lube, and set the castings in the pan for preheating, the red lube will melt into the BP lube.
    At least it won't go to waste.