Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Detonation Anyone?

Boolit Grand Master

Adrian

Yes there is a "trace" that shows the drop in psi in the article. I too am having trouble getting the article to upload both here and in an email to you.......working on it though.

There is indeed an ES to psi measurements just as there is to velocities since very few measurements of the same load are identical. There is also an accepted ES spread for any load by SAAMI. SEE potential with cast bullets is reduced considerably because of the plastic nature of lead alloys vs copper jackets. The lead alloy bullets simply will give way well before jacketed bullets if they get "stuck" in the bore while pressures are still quite low and still safe. It is the jacketed bullet that gets stuck in the throat that creates the "bore obstruction".

I have many times had pressure traces (M43 Oehler) with cast bullets that show a slight leveling of psi as the bullet moves out of the case and into the throat before the trace rises as the psi rises. The information derived and observed in the article test is quite reproduceable and is thus a more positive answer than the unproven theories that abound.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Wife talked to her professor today. She told him the entire Internet reloading community wanted to know if he was going to follow through. He said he has been busy and is trying to get in touch with one of the aforementioned forensic experts to take a look.

I'm still interested, no matter HOW long it takes.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Thank you Larry for reposting that article. There's still a mountain of Bravo Sierra being blathered about on this and other forae about SEE.

And ain't having the proper instrumentation WONDERFUL?

OTOH, as one of my long-ago bosses moaned about my new laser interferometer: "This thing tells us things we didn't know we didn't want to know".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    So, the article posted by Larry explains SEE as when the primer generally launches the bullet down the barrel, bullet stops, and in the interim the burning powder creates a pressure so great that it bursts the action before there is any chance of the bullet moving forward?

I guess that makes sense to me. As I stated early in the thread, these loads had poor neck tension. I had expanded the brass with a 31 cal M-Die plug and had to go back and taper crimp the rounds into place. The 30 cal plug had wandered out of the M-Die drawer in my room when I was loading these rounds. That is a good article, even if I had read it four times for it to sink in.

Boolit Grand Master

uscra112

And ain't having the proper instrumentation WONDERFUL?

OTOH, as one of my long-ago bosses moaned about my new laser interferometer: "This thing tells us things we didn't know we didn't want to know".

Boy, isn't that the truth....I am constantly amazed at the "offense" taken when such instrumentation tells us some of our pet theories, myths and old wife's tales are wrong. Some people get down right irritated about such.......I would have thought we'd all be interested in the truth of such but that certainly isn't the case with some......

Larry Gibson

I have used a ton of 5744 over the last 20 years or so in just about any caliber you can think of 32/20 win to 458 win to 50/140 sharps and never a hickup. I don't think your trouble is with 5744 powder. but what ever I'm glad your OK. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"