Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: ar help

Boolit Bub

ar help

hey, looking for some advice. i seen this rifle for sale on another forum. have not dealt with ar's at all. this would be my first. would this be a quality rifle? here is description

Both upper and lower are brand new and never fired.

Upper is JSE. .223 caliber. 16" barrel, 1X9 twist, lo-pro gas block. These uppers use Bull Dog air gauged barrels. Pretty good quality barrels.

Lower is Plum Crazy. Upper to lower fit is tight. No slop, no wiggle. Triggers on these lowers are better than most stock AR triggers. Makes for a very nice compact and lightweight calling/walking rifle.

It'll shoot good and be dependable.

Boolit Bub
    Plum crazy lowers are pretty cheap. Figure a $100 less for a AR with a plum crazy lower than a aluminum lower.

Some cases were those lowers have cracked. But the company warranties them. Replaces for free last I heard.

Just my 2cp, but if I were going to get an AR, I think I'd get one completely assembled by one manufacturer like Armalite, Colt or Bushmaster. I put Armalites through absolute horrors in the infantry and they never stopped... Might not be the fanciest or whatever, but at under 1k, they are lifetime warrantied and very accurate. Just my 2cp, but a frankenstein gun can be a fun project, but I'd only do this if I were getting it for a song...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/11524

Banned

no this would NOT be a quality rifle.

Buy it for $300 for a "project" or fun rifle

listen to tacklebury

Boolit Bub
    so a gun like http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46149

would be alot better for money lol?

Boolit Bub
    btw, thanks for advice

Are you planning on assaulting something? Just plinking? or target shooting at any serious level? The one I posted is a 20" Heavy barrel . It will be a good shooting steady rifle. I personally wouldn't care for an M-4 Carbine style as you lose a lot of steadiness for accuracy, but depends on your desires for use.

Armalite is the longest running manufacturer, so I tend to be a little partial to them. They have even better models, just that one for 850 is pretty good for an average varmint hunter/target shooter. And np on the advice, it's only worth as much as my opinion.

Here's some interesting reading on their history ifyou are interested: http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/History.pdf

Boolit Bub
    looking for it for plinking and coyote hunting

Boolit Master
    For a beginner a S&W M&P sport I got a month ago is decent. No ftf in over 300 rounds. Accuracy is not as good as my 23 year old colt hbar. But it is a great $600 gun. Buy a complete gun my a name source is good advice.

When you get to the more expensive ars pay for the barrel, bolt, trigger and action. The rest is window dressing.

Boolit Bub
    what would be a good accurate ar for under 1k? mainly around 800 bucks

Accuracy under a grand???

That Bushmaster at Bud's might shoot 1/2 MOA, and it might not...but it will probably shoot minute of coyote at 200 yds. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!

Put a good scope on it and you're over $1K, add a decent trigger and you're at $1200+. Cheek rest, heavy barrel, butt stock, pistol grip....the list is endless. If you want guaranteed accuracy, you'll have to pay for it...and it don't come cheap!.....

....But, if you want an AR, you have to start somewhere. Just pick one within your budget and see how you like it. By the time you get your third or fourth one, maybe you'll have a better idea of what you really want.

Good luck
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

I just bought my firsr AR. I did not know much about them. After alot of research I decided to spend the xtra and get a Colt 6940. It was a little more than what I wanted to spend but knowing my own personality I would have ended up buying a better quality one in a year or so.
    I cannot say enough good about the rifle's quality and accuracy. Definately worth the extra money. Save a little more and get something you want the first time..JMHO
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Master

The questions concerning AR quality and affordability come up every month or so here. I always suggest hitting m4carbine.net for some serious research. The guys on that site are serious AR15 users, shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds each year. Therefore, their opinions and findings mean a lot as far as I'm concerned...even if they are a little rude.

Having put together several lowers and in the process of building an upper, if the parts are mil spec it should be ok, I am not familer with Plum Crazy. There are only about 8 or so manufacturers of lowers the rest of the brands just do the machining. Stick with a name brand lower and build one yourself, its not hard and it will help you in using the gun.
    I have put together a Stag lower, Olympic, Double Star, Cavery Arms and a couple of others whos brand escapes me. The only plastic lower is the Cavery Arms with coupled with a rimfire upper makes for a very light AR toy.

Boolit Master

If your serrious about a shooter on a budget, see if you can lay your hands on the Jan. 17th 2011 issue of Shotgun News. David Fortier built a compleat M-4 (5.56) for $615.90 with sights. It does utilize a PCF lower but according to the article it performed flawlessly.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne