Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Drill Doctor any good?

Boolit Buddy
    i got one 3 years ago , and promptly used it to fix every drill i screwwed up by trying to use a grinder , great tool
    we are soldiers we guard honor and wage war in between we wait like a stone untill our chance comes again

I’ve got two of them, one for the warehouse and one for my field office for the crews, both works like a champ and have saved me money and time.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

In Remebrance

They work good IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Anyone I've met that says they are junk usually isn't setting things up right to start with.

Smile

I have used this #DD750 Professional for almost 15 years, Changed the diamond wheel 1 time, If it quits today I will buy another tomorrow. Very happy with this machine.
    Last edited by 300winmag; 06-09-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

In Remembrance

I used a belt sander at work and was very hit or miss with it. A friend grabbed up every bit we tossed out and bought a Drill Doctor and it works great. With all the bits he picked up and took home he should never have to buy another bit in his life and maybe even his kids will be set for life.
    I watched a guy run a drill as hard as it would run until the bit got red and complain about the junk bits the company was buying, he was running the drill backwards.

To say it short and sweet. "Outstanding" My dad could sharpen a drill on a grind wheel and with short notice, he would have a resharpend drill. Tried to teach his less then talented offspring. He would be quite pleased with the Drill Doc. but he would also say there fine but one has to unerstand the hows and why's. The old time Machinist hard to find these days with CNC ect.
    Don
    PS No running no chatter no slips and 2 long even chips with the drill doc.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one (DD750) this week from Enco and received it this afternoon. After a quick read of the instructions sharpened every dull or broken bit I've saved for years. It didn't take long either. It's construction is not awe inspiring, but it works very well.

BE

Boolit Master
    I think Gear is right . There is a bit of a learning curve. Sadly I am on the lower end of that curve .
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

I work at a machine shop. We were never given training on how to sharpen a drill bit but they keep highering random people who know nothing about machining. Our boss finally broke down after looking at the 5gal bucket half full of dull drills and the $$ he was spending each month on new ones. But getting the cheapest drill Dr knock off he could find... I'm better off trying to sharpen them by hand. There is hardly any metal on the thing outside of the motor. and the plastic guides warp when pressure is applied.

If you get one get a nice one. If not an attachment for a bench grinder.

Boolit Master
    There is no way on this God's green earth that you can sharpen a drill bit "by hand and eye" as well as a drill doctor can...........Simply impossible!

Sharpen a drill by hand and then with the Drill Doctor and use an optical comparitor to check your work. You'll be amazed at how poor the hand job is.

Will a hand and eye sharpened drill make a hole? Of course it will. But it will be slightly oversized and the bit will dull sooner because of unequal loads on the two cutting edges.

Oh, and I'd like to see someone "Split the Point" by hand and eye..........

For some questions on this forum, there is only one answer and tons of opinions. The answers usually come from folks that have used the tool and mastered how to use it. The opinions come from folks that have never used the tool or simply can't master it.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    Mine works great and I've already saved hundreds on sharpening dull bits. If you own a set of numbered and letter sized drill bits, this is a must have! You can't usually just drive downtown and pick up a replacement letter size bit at the local hardware store!

Watch the video on how to set it up, otherwise you will not be happy with how it grinds the bits. I screwed up a couple points by thinking I could do it without watching the video.

Andy.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken