MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 308 hunting load for Remington 700 SPS

Boolit Master

308 hunting load for Remington 700 SPS

Gentlemen,

Humbly I request your input on making a 308 loading that mimics the POA, MOA, and drop, etc exactly of one of the popular 308 hunting loads in a cast boolit. I'm not picky on corelok, silvertip, etc. Whatever I can make a load to practice with without resetting my sights I am willing to hunt with. I believe I have nearly all the 308 and 311 models in Lee as well as a custom heavy.

Let me know the powder load OAL etc and I will follow the recipe. I might even consider the unholy copper j word for such an application.

Boolit Grand Master

Not being facetious but if you're asking fro a cast bullet load that duplicates j bullet zero, ballistics and trajectories(?) you're not going to get there from here.

What is the twist of your Remington PSS barrel BTW?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry I've seen posts in the past for this, just not in this caliber (mostly 30-06, 270 I think). The loads are usually slightly off at long range but I'm basically looking for a 100 yard zero so I can practice with my load before going into the brush without a rezero.

Not really sure on the twist, will have to check length with I get home but its a standard off the shelf SPS, very common rifle.

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, the Remington SPSs in .308 come in two twists. There is the heavy barreled varmint version which comes with a 12" twist, while the lightweight version comes with a 10". But this is from memory and we all know how that can get turned around. This may or may not help as the specific model rifle isn't identified and we have not been provided details as to which one of the SPS variants we're discussing.

Boolit Grand Master

sheepdog

Ok, I've got the concept now. Sugest a cast bullet of 170 - 210 gr loaded over 4895 at 1900 - 1950 fps. My '06's with 200 yard zeroes for J bullets will hit fairly well to point of aim at 100 yards. They all aren't the same though as each rifle is different along with each shooter shouldering the rifle differently.

Larry Gibson

Banned

you'll most likely be about @3" low with your cast and a 2" high jaxketed sight in.
    my 7x57 was almost 8"s different from it's most accurate cast load and my normal jaxketed hunting load at 100 yds.
    your 308 will be fairly close with 28-30 grs 4895 at 100 with the cast, and 42 grs with the 150 jaxketed with a 200 yd sight in.