Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Levergun Owner Needs Tips

Boolit Grand Master

Just make sure you know the actual diameter needed by slugging and go a bit bigger.

For a regular .308 groove diameter, I start at .310 and try .311, usually one or both work
    great - but these are conventional rifling. I have not worked with microgrooves, but reading
    says make the boolits fit is key, - and it is key to conventional rifling, so I'm not surprised.

IIRC most problems with cast in mg rifled bbls was undersized boolits.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    nice rifle, you should get yourself a williams receiver sight, and try the lee 170gr. mold. it's cheap, and it work's great! that will be a great truck gun.
    And your rifle is already drilled and tapped for it. That would be the holes that are plugged by the two little screws (side by side) shown on the upper rear of the receiver in your 3d picture. Those holes are plugged by those little headless screws. Take them out and either a Williams or Lyman receiver sight (your choice) takes the same hole pattern, and both come with screws that thread right into those holes.

Boolit Master
    i use a lee c309-170rf they are about 20 dollars mine drops wheel weight with a bit of tin at .310 two coats of Lee Liquid Alox 18.5gr H4895 no gas check needed till you try and go faster

i have done air cooled and water dropped both worked i have dug some out of the berm , they get engraved by the rifling very nicely no gas cutting

they load to the crimp groove 2.550 feed fine in the 336 and shoot nice they are cheap to shoot and brass lasts a long time

great fun rounds

i do have a .311 sizing die to add gas checks later but for now i am having fun this way

the lee 2nd edition has lots of reduced loads for the 30-30

planning to fill a bucket with sand to put behind my target , so i can just keep recycling the lead and keep my cost as close to powder and primers as i can.

Boolit Buddy
    A little update for you guys.

I installed a Williams FP-94/36 on the receiver and found I needed a taller front sight. I was unable to source one locally so I called up Williams and the fixed me right up.

.570" tall, wide base, brass bead front sight. I was concerned about interference with the front barrel band and was told to expect some gunsmithing to get it to fit. That was indeed the case.

45 minutes of hand filing and I got it to fit pretty well. I did not have any brass drifts so I used my lead ingots and finished the job with a punch inside of a cartridge case.

My only concern now is I did not fire this rifle before putting on these sights. Hope I don't waste too much ammo getting on paper.

I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

Boolit Man
    Looks nice - you should be able to "pit an ace" at 50 yards with that...

If memory serves there is a group buy open for a 311041 (173gr) NOE.
    it ought to make a great boolit for that set up.

+1 on the Lee 2nd ed - I was poking through it and found loads ranging from 100 grain to 170 grain cast boolits - lots of variety to play with there
    Last edited by ocelott; 10-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Whopist, you tear me up...
    Your scope value is several orders of magnitude greater than the gun....
    GEEEZ I never thought I'd see a Leupold mated to a Glenfield.
    But I'll bet it's a sweet shooting package you wouldn't trade anything for.

I have a set of the NOE/RD clone molds too.. great quality molds, fine bullets too.

I have couple of early 50's Marlins with period El Paso Weavers.
    It's a sin they D&T'd the waffle top receiver, but the quality work, period scopes, and fine accuracy make up a little for the transgression.

Best advice?
    #1. Have fun
    #2. Buy a 20 pound lead pot, because you'll be shooting a lot
    #3. Ranch Dogs are as good as it gets for bullet designs
    #4. Put locks on all your windows and doors... Marlin levers old and new, all calibers and colors will start stalking you, and will fill any shadow and void in your home. If your wife asks why the bed is so lumpy, don't let her look under the matress... If she asks why you have to lean aganst the closet to get it closed, tell her it's the door frame expanded with moisture...

Above all watch your back.... Marlins will jump into your hands or secretly follow you home.
    Now, after the first one, all Marlins know who you are, and where you live.
    Last edited by pls1911; 11-13-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Now I just need brass and dies and a mold and primers and powder and a sling and .......BigRix

Looking good! I've never had to buy 30-30 brass. I saved them for years when they were too cheap to consider loading and they litter the public range where I shoot regularly. Good call on the Williams sight, one found a good home on a favorite 94 of mine awhile back when my old eyes caused me to give up on buckhorn sights.
    And pls1911; I'm beginning to realize Leupolds are quite possibly cost-effective for a rifle I plan on keeping and using often. One old favorite hunting rifle went thru five pretty decent scopes before I retired it. If I had been able to spring for a Leupold initially I'd be money ahead with a top-quality optic to boot...and I'd have a good scope for the new rifle as well. It got a new Leupold.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Don't have one of those but do have a lot of winchester 94 and 92's and finally just got a marlin 62. Addictive is an understatement. It is a disease that will only end when you leave this life.
    As to bullet molds I have around 50 different molds. another disease that will over take you if you get bitten but the casting bug.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    This one already started letting others in the safe.

Got my second Marlin and I haven't shot this one yet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=132373

I think it is getting jealous because I'm paying more attention to the 45/70.
    I fear that until a select few can profit from not treading on me, nothing will change.

Visit my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigRix?feature=mhee

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The RD mould & a receiver sight should take care of you for many years. If you get tired of the caliber you have the right rifle to send to JES Reboring to get it rechambered / rebored for any caliber you desire. I had a Glenfield "rusty bore" one sent in to get opened to .405 / .411.
    TIP : Do not bet on the horses ! Far better to bet on fish (Marlins).
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.