Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A better priming method?

Boolit Master
    Deactivating primers...........

I took some 45APC pistol cases and wanted to make tire air valve caps for my motorcycles. I wanted them to have the look of an unfired primer.

I seated live primers and then tried everything fluid imaginable to deactivate them.

I don't care what I filled the case with..........oil, alcohol, acetone, water, bourbon, witch hazel, etc, etc, etc..........After sitting for days, and the primer being good and wet, all of them still went bang!

I finally turned little stainless plugs that look like primers.

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Mold
    Place a single primer in a cast iron skillet, cover the skillet with a properly fitting, heavy cast iron lid. Set on stove and heat it up until you hear the primer pop. You now have a de-activated primer that still looks "new".
    Joe

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS bench mounted, actually board mounted and c-clamped as I move it to different rooms sometimes.

Boolit Mold
    I had the RCBS and several others. Got rid of all of them except the old tried and true Bonanza. A bit expensive, but it is fast, easy to use either sitting down or standing up, and the built-in adjustable shell holder holds the cases more nearly axial than the removable RCBS type. Maybe it doesnt' matter, but I like precision even when I am not sure it affects the outcome.
    Only complaint I have is fillling the tubes, which hold primers edge to edge, unlike the RCBS end to end arrangement. I have both an old Lee and an old RCBS primer flipper which have a little spout on the edge to dump the primers out edgewise. Hold it right, and it fills the Bonanza tubes in a snap.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

The edge to edge primer position sounds almost like the Forester priming tool, that was a real piece of junk. IMHO

The primer tubes deformed during the "attempt" at using the thing, and was one of the reasons it went back, along with their hooky shell holder.

Glad your Bonanza works, wonder how they differ from the Forester.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I don't post here very often but I'm a satisfied user of the Forester/Bonanza bench primer. I did fit a 5 inch piece of copper pipe over the handle. This added about 3 inches to the over length and made it very comfortable to use. This set up has excellent feel when seating the primer and very consistent seating depth. The adjustable shell holder are precise and easy to set up. Using an RCBS flipper tray with a notch cut on the side make the tubes simple to fill. I agree the tubes are soft aluminum but never have had a problem deforming them. As with most tools and their makers we all have favorites. Forester and Bonanza have been good to me.

Boolit Master
    daboone,

Good to hear your primer tool is serving you well.

We need all, or at least most - some in this Ol'Coot's mind could be gone yesterday - of the reloading tool makers to stay in business, so a positive customer experience will be passed on and possibly bring that company more satisfied customers.

Guess your positive experience about balances out my negative one.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot